Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Here's an article on Jackson Heights/Corona BID.

Jackson Heights-Corona Bid Proposal Shortened by 10 Blocks - Jackson Heights - DNAinfo.com New York

Roosevelt Avenue historically has had issues with street prostitution, drug dealer, etc in part because a lot of the ugly busted up retail spaces along the Avenue weren't places most normal retailers would rent. In recent years they've demolished some of these businesses to make way for new grocery stores, Staples, Rite Aid, T-Mobile/Metro PCs store, and condos.

The business improvement district as well as the rezoning of the eastern 14 blocks of Roosevelt Avenue hear Flushing Meadows Park would change all that. This happens at the same time that they are building a convention center with hotel rooms and apartments in Corona and a new mega mall in a parking lot in Flushing Meadows/Corona Park.

There are fears more poor immigrants will be pushed out of the neighborhood (thoughts)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
I visited there recently. Poorer immigrants are being pushed out as leases expire. A friend got a 4BR apartment in East Elmhurst for 2.7K/month after the LL upped the rent on the previous tenant.

A lot has already improved in JH especially along 37th - 34th Ave. and there are younger, more affluent families who have moved in. The ugliness of Roosevelt Ave. has not obstructed this improvement so far and over time, the new arrivals might grow to be more accepting of Roosevelt and may actually patronize some of its establishments. Plus there are the establishments along Northern Blvd.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
I just moved here to Corona a few months ago. I live near Roosevelt. Yeh I guess there are some prostitutes in the Bars, but they are not out on the street. It really is not too bad. I am not a minority and I never feel unsafe even at the late hours. The 7 train is on Roosevelt, so what can they possible do?

Where is this mega Mall and convention center supposed to be? I take the 7 all the time, and I dont see this anywhere. Are you talking about that one in Flushing along the riverine?

But really what needs to be improved? I have been all up and down Roosevelt. It is already a bustling commercial street. I think they just want to kick out the minorities.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I just moved here to Corona a few months ago. I live near Roosevelt. Yeh I guess there are some prostitutes in the Bars, but they are not out on the street. It really is not too bad. I am not a minority and I never feel unsafe even at the late hours. The 7 train is on Roosevelt, so what can they possible do?

Where is this mega Mall and convention center supposed to be? I take the 7 all the time, and I dont see this anywhere. Are you talking about that one in Flushing along the riverine?

But really what needs to be improved? I have been all up and down Roosevelt. It is already a bustling commercial street. I think they just want to kick out the minorities.
MegaMall will be on the former site of Shea Stadium. The Convention Center will be in Willet Points. Some of the chief architects of this plan are "minorities." Don't paint everyone with a broad brush and oversimplify things.

Also I am originally from that area and it certainly did and still does need better shopping options. The improvements to the area will certainly drive out the poorest people and get rid of some of the busted up businesses in favor of commercial chains. But that happens all over the country (the rise of WalGreens, CVS, Home Depot, and other major retailers). Jackson Heights/Corona isn't an exception.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 AM

Actually, my memory is a bit hazy. Citifield is not situated in a brand new location. It basically where Shea was. Are the Mets going to do without a parking lot? I live nearby, and drive or take the train into Flushing, and have even walked over.

Willets Point aint really in the area.

Some of the planners being minorities does not really mean much. But I am not trying to argue that.

There is already pharmacies there. I dont know what kinds of retailers need to be there. The big corp brands already have a presence nearby. It will just be redundant.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Actually, my memory is a bit hazy. Citifield is not situated in a brand new location. It basically where Shea was. Are the Mets going to do without a parking lot? I live nearby, and drive or take the train into Flushing, and have even walked over.

Willets Point aint really in the area.

Some of the planners being minorities does not really mean much. But I am not trying to argue that.

There is already pharmacies there. I dont know what kinds of retailers need to be there. The big corp brands already have a presence nearby. It will just be redundant.
Landlords are about the money, so they extended commercial development as far as it will go. Yes, some of the planners being by minorities means a lot, actually. It's about the money and if you can afford that area or if your business afford it you're more than able to stay.

And yes, the mets will do without that portion of the parking lot. Google MegaMall Corona and Google Convention Center Corona. The real estate industry has big plans for Jackson Heights Corona. Its a pretty close commute to Midtown Manhattan.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 AM

I understand the chinese are buying up a lot of property around Corona, Jackson Heights. Well, they are everywhere buying. So I guess I can see this happening. I just hope they dont get this through soon because my rent is going to go up. I knew I should have bought. Maybe it is not too late.

Did the current landlords all come together and decide upon this, or did a third party make offers they cannot refuse (LOL)?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 AM

On Queens Blvd, you already have that mall, and then there is the Rego Park Center. Northern Blvd in Astoria, or Woodside has a nice little NJ style strip mall.

That new mall with condo on top in Flushing on College Point Blvd, has a lot of vacancy. They have the Target there, which has everything you could want. And then there is the other strip mall in College Point on 20th Ave.

Do they really think this is worthwhile project? Retailers are doing bad everywhere. As for the Convention Center, has the Javits Center ever been fully booked?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I understand the chinese are buying up a lot of property around Corona, Jackson Heights. Well, they are everywhere buying. So I guess I can see this happening. I just hope they dont get this through soon because my rent is going to go up. I knew I should have bought. Maybe it is not too late.

Did the current landlords all come together and decide upon this, or did a third party make offers they cannot refuse (LOL)?
From what I see it's a combination of both. Collectively the landlords and certain businesses got together, but they are getting offers they cannot refuse from real estate developers.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 AM

Quote:
On Queens Blvd, you already have that mall, and then there is the Rego Park Center. Northern Blvd in Astoria, or Woodside has a nice little NJ style strip mall.

That new mall with condo on top in Flushing on College Point Blvd, has a lot of vacancy. They have the Target there, which has everything you could want. And then there is the other strip mall in College Point on 20th Ave.

Do they really think this is worthwhile project? Retailers are doing bad everywhere. As for the Convention Center, has the Javits Center ever been fully booked?
As Jackson Heights and Corona become more affluent, that crowd wants places to shop closer to home. It makes the real estate easier to market and even more valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City