Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's called breathing. Inflation is one of things in the same bucket as death & taxation
Also, inflation is near-zero and has been for years, and there's no risk at all of it increasing any time soon. Stop reading so much right-wing propaganda, read more Paul Krugman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They more so in Jackson Heights or Woodside/Astoria? I see them all the time around Roosevelt and 69th st in Woodside. Plus, Woodside/Astoria are closer to Home Depots than Jackson Heights.
Yea I've seen them in Woodside and Astoria too. On Roosevelt from 74st all the way to 61st, there's usually a large group on the bqe overpass.

In Astoria I see them a fee blocks along Broadway from 43 St to Steinway.

I haven't been to Roosevelt ave in a while but the ones in Astoria are still there.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Also, inflation is near-zero and has been for years, and there's no risk at all of it increasing any time soon. Stop reading so much right-wing propaganda, read more Paul Krugman.
That inflation is inevitable is a right-wing concept? Hardly. It's a cat & mouse game, people always feel they deserve more so they ask for more pay, business ask for higher prices, life goes on. Housing inflation is alive & well in NYC

Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
That inflation is inevitable is a right-wing concept? Hardly. It's a cat & mouse game, people always feel they deserve more so they ask for more pay, business ask for higher prices, life goes on. Housing inflation is alive & well in NYC
Would be nice at least if wages were inflating at the same rate as the cost of living. There was an article recently about how in the entire NYC metro area, people have been spending more to live here but not making more money to do so.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
So that's what they've been telling you? Believe none of what you hear and half of what you read.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
I've never seen a single hooker or drug dealer anywhere on Roosevelt from QB through Flushing. Maybe they were there in the 80'ies but common let's get with the times
They are inside the bars now. Come to Roosevelt, and 103rd St. There are a few bars. You will see them. They are not going to be outside. The cops will just take them away.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think this is an example of small-minded thinking. There are business owners who understand that making the area more pleasant will allow them to attract better and more customers. And the businesses can grow with those new opportunities.

Then there seem to be other, scared business owners who think that keeping the area seedy and ugly will somehow be better for them because it will keep their rent lower. Perhaps an ugly, seedy looking area would have lower rents. But why can't these businesses see it as an opportunity to grow and become better?

There are precedents with other BIDS where areas became better and immigrant owned mom and pop businesses thrived. See below for the FAQ from the BID itself addressing these issues:

1. Will the BID displace immigrant businesses and bring in chain stores that are able to afford higher rents?

No. Making Roosevelt Avenue safer and cleaner will attract more customers. Too many of our local residents feel like they have to leave our community to shop in a safe and pleasant environment. And local business owners that are part of Business Improvement Districts in immigrant neighborhoods such as Washington Heights, Brooklyn’s Myrtle Avenue, Main Street in Flushing, and Fordham Rd in the Bronx have seen how cleaner, safer streets help immigrant and mom-and-pop shops thrive there

2. Is the BID anti-immigrant? Anti-small business?

No. We want a cleaner and safer Roosevelt Ave that will allow our businesses to thrive. In fact, organizing together in a Business Improvement District gives smaller businesses the power to compete with the big malls and box stores. If we work together we can do more–no individual business can always afford to hire an extra person to clean up the street or put a new streetlight–but together we can.
From what I got in the article, I am assuming, they will kick out the present tenants there, and build something brand new. If all they plan on doing is add some trees, and new street lights, then I dont see how that would hurt them, but if BID starts demolishing, and building new structures, they are probably not bringing back any mom and pop operations.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
From what I got in the article, I am assuming, they will kick out the present tenants there, and build something brand new. If all they plan on doing is add some trees, and new street lights, then I dont see how that would hurt them, but if BID starts demolishing, and building new structures, they are probably not bringing back any mom and pop operations.
The BID sets out to help existing business owners. Maybe this will help you understand what a BID is for: NYC BID Association - The leaders of NYC's Business Improvement Districts

Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
New York Times today featured a couple who bought an apartment in Jackson Hts:

Jackson Heights: More Space; Hold the Frills
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/re...ills.html?_r=0

Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
So are they going to get better prostitutes, too? Where does one find the best in Jackson Heights? Are they generally latinas or is there a good mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City