Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I'm leaving next year. I make a good living but factor in the taxes, fees, TOLLS, catholic $chool tuitions, communist mayor and very long commuting times, we have decided to relocate to North Carolina. I have lived here all of my 48 years on this earth and I will miss it here, but what I really miss is long gone like some of the posters in that article stated.
My folks retired to NC. Beautiful state and great place to live. I go down once a year or so. You'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
I can't even imagine leaving NYC for good. I go to college upstate, and its fun for the duration of the school year, but I have absolutely zero reasons to remain here once school ends. Rent is really cheap (1/4th of NYC rents) and the ppl are nice, but the public transportation is weak and the food scene is awful

And it's a shame cuz the people here are really sweet, but there's like nothing to do that's not uni sponsored

Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I can't even imagine leaving NYC for good. I go to college upstate, and its fun for the duration of the school year, but I have absolutely zero reasons to remain here once school ends. Rent is really cheap (1/4th of NYC rents) and the ppl are nice, but the public transportation is weak and the food scene is awful

And it's a shame cuz the people here are really sweet, but there's like nothing to do that's not uni sponsored

Not to sound like "that guy", but you'll understand when you're a little older.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Ithaca, NY was like that. Typical upstate collegetown.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Not to sound like "that guy", but you'll understand when you're a little older.
Or perhaps he won't.

It hasn't historically been good for working class people. If you listen to gospel songs from the South, many of the songs basically are about laying down your burdens (WHEN YOU ARE DEAD).

Oh and these songs are still popular and sung by people in church.

Life is a struggle everywhere, and to be completely free from struggle is to be dead and in the afterlife.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM

173 posts, read 220,018 times
I left the Bronx in 06 and now living in CT I am an hour away now and sometimes it feels like worlds away I would love to live in the City but unless you are very wealthy you can forget living in good area plus the schools suck! I miss born and raised NewYorkers more than everything else

Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or perhaps he won't.

It hasn't historically been good for working class people. If you listen to gospel songs from the South, many of the songs basically are about laying down your burdens (WHEN YOU ARE DEAD).

Oh and these songs are still popular and sung by people in church.

Life is a struggle everywhere, and to be completely free from struggle is to be dead and in the afterlife.
Not really.

The rat race does wear people down and in the end, most don't come out on top.

My brother recently went to a conference in NC. He met workers there from Siemens Corp (he also works at a German industrial but one with research facilities in Westchester). When they got to chatting, the Siemens guys just laughed at how much further their salaries took them in NC and how much more laid back their atmosphere was. The positions at both Corp's paid virtually the same with similar benefits.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I'm leaving next year. I make a good living but factor in the taxes, fees, TOLLS, catholic $chool tuitions, communist mayor and very long commuting times, we have decided to relocate to North Carolina. I have lived here all of my 48 years on this earth and I will miss it here, but what I really miss is long gone like some of the posters in that article stated.
I know many families from our kids' catholic school ($chool is right! lol) who left.

Even the supposedly good public schools in NYC are awful by most standards, excluding a handful of test-into schools. So you're already shelling out for catholic or private, and people just do the math and realize how much cheaper it is elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Not really.

The rat race does wear people down and in the end, most don't come out on top.

My brother recently went to a conference in NC. He met workers there from Siemens Corp (he also works at a German industrial but one with research facilities in Westchester). When they got to chatting, the Siemens guys just laughed at how much further their salaries took them in NC and how much more laid back their atmosphere was. The positions at both Corp's paid virtually the same with similar benefits.
Yes really. There are costs to living in these places in the South. Listening to people on this forum I would think there's no low wage jobs in the South but in the past I have been to several Southern states.

Everything is spread out, so you MUST drive a car. So add in your car note, your gasoline, your auto insurance to all of your expenses. Also factor in on a daily basis how many hours it's going to take for you to commute to work.

In old age, many people cannot drive. I have an elderly uncle that has to pay $100 dollars to a younger dude to drive him to the doctor from the smaller town where he lives to a larger city. Nowhere in NYC are you that far from medical or hospital.

As for people having bigger houses in the South than in NYC, but a cost itself comes with hosts as does maintaining it and fixing it. It's also a lot of work to cut the lawn, rake the leaves, etc, particularly if your busy with your work. Some people end up paying landscapers, but that costs money too.

There's also assuming you can find work in your field. A person whose background is in say Wall Street or Social Media isn't finding much work in Atlanta or Raleigh. These places aren't that big in the entertainment industry.

Keep in mind a lot of people like to bull**** or brag as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I know many families from our kids' catholic school ($chool is right! lol) who left.

Even the supposedly good public schools in NYC are awful by most standards, excluding a handful of test-into schools. So you're already shelling out for catholic or private, and people just do the math and realize how much cheaper it is elsewhere.
It's not that much cheaper elsewhere, though. Prime locations in NYC are of course more expensive because of demand. Of course, you have low to no commuting costs in real estate. I walk to the grocery store, walk to the post office, the drug store, could walk to the doctor, and most basic things from my home. To travel around the city costs me just a weekly metrocard ($30 per month). Much of the South just to get orange juice you'd have to get in your car and drive. And yes that's a cost. Cars break down too and that costs money as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City