Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 PM

192 posts, read 248,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The term middle class has been eroded in recent years. Now here in this city we new terms tossed around like professional class, mainly culturally waspy white black and Asian types and highly educated vs working class who are mainly local Hispanic, ethnic white or black and or immigrant and not so highly educated. THe term middle class as what we know it exist primarily in the South or South West.

NYC middle class has been on the decline since the white flight, the middle class was rebuilt to some extent after, but now its on the decline again. Its not only NYC that has a declining middle class but other legacy cities also have similar problems with retaining its middle class. DC, Boston, and San Francisco all have similar problems as NYC. I think NYC, DC, Boston and SF are only good for those who have money, and those who come from some cul de sac, highly educated and looking for opportunities that suburbs lack, and last these very cities I mentioned are good for the poor who can provide services for those with money.

Another big problem for the decline of the cities middle class is gentrification! How can anyone afford to live here with rising costs in rent, transportation, taxes, insurances and so on. Subway system has gotten worse in recent years with so much congestion. Low income neighborhoods such as Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem, Mott Haven, East Harlem, Astoria, LIC, Greenpoint, Wililamsburg, Bushwick, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, Sunset Park, Redhook are no longer hold negative nuances anymore and attract plenty of suburban educated young folks to these areas pricing out long time residents via rent increases. Also these lwo income areas attract those with money for property flipping.
You don't have a ****ing clue to what you're talkign about. Not a statistic or a fact in that entire blurb?
ASIANS and immigrants are poor? THe biggest growth of immigrants in NYC NJ and Delaware have beeen South Asians (Indians and Pakistanis). These groups are more economically well off and educated than whites. They are the reason so many high tech companies have located to NYC. I don't see many black white hispanic kids spending $200k on a hard science, engineering or technical degree. 50% of the PhD holders in america are Asian American.

Get your head out of your ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,783 times
^^^^^^^^^^Wow, Is this a orphaned post?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Very sad with what's happening to NYC. Neighborhoods once filled with large families are disappearing. Take a walk around Brooklyn's Park slope or Windsor Terrace. NYC is becoming like San Francisco. Wealth, Dinks, Gay Couples, Yuppies, and poor. Then when you do find a traditional area, The Government will try to destroy it. (Homeless Shelters, Methadone Clinic, Aids Hospice, Woman's Battered Shelter, or some sort of socialized living facility)

I Google'd "dink" and couldn't find a clear-cut definition that seems to apply in the context of your sentence. What is a "dink"?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
You don't have a ****ing clue to what you're talkign about. Not a statistic or a fact in that entire blurb?
ASIANS and immigrants are poor? THe biggest growth of immigrants in NYC NJ and Delaware have beeen South Asians (Indians and Pakistanis). These groups are more economically well off and educated than whites. They are the reason so many high tech companies have located to NYC. I don't see many black white hispanic kids spending $200k on a hard science, engineering or technical degree. 50% of the PhD holders in america are Asian American.

There are a lot more poor Asians in NYC than rich ones. Have you seen all those asian elderly folks waiting on the Apple iphone buying lines? They are standing there just to make $20-50 for dealers. There are tons of asians working for today's meal around many asian ghettos around NYC.

The one thing they do have is pride, they won't panhandle or beg like many hispanics, blacks, and even young whites.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:

You sound butt hurt. I do have Asian friends who were born into into poor immigrant families, however end up doing well. Capitalism at work and play here. Take a walk around sheep's head Bay and you see poor Asians collecting cans with their Asian American kids.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Overall they're not upper middle class, however, those that purchased the single family houses in some of the areas mentioned within the past 10 years are probably upper middle class. Basically anyone that can afford a 800k+ single family house without illegally renting out parts of it makes good money. The closest to upper middle class on your list might be Whitestone.

Rego Park and Midwood (or at least parts of Midwood) wouldn't be deemed as "upper middle class" by you?

Rego Park impresses me as "upper middle class" (as is its neighbors Forest Hills and Kew Gardens) . . . unless my perceptions of these areas have become somewhat dated.

And Midwood has a whole collection of large gorgeous homes on immaculate streets (from what I see in Google Maps' Street View) and I would imagine you can't be just "lower middle" or even "middle middle" to maintain such homes.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

I have know many whites, Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics to spend 200k on a hard science, engineering, or technical degree. With that said, yes, there are a lot of Asians in tech. But is tech exclusively Asian? Of course not.

As for South Asians being more well of than whites?

Well, whites are all over the place socioeconomically. So are South Asians, or for that matter any race. I lived in Jackson Heights, Queens and saw many South Asians who worked as taxicab drivers or in immigrant owned stores and who lived 20 people to an apartment. I also went to school with engineers, lawyers, economists, etc who were South Asian or Asian (not all educated Asians want to be in the sciences, that is a racial stereotype too). Louisiana and South Carolina have Asian American governors.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Rego Park and Midwood (or at least parts of Midwood) wouldn't be deemed as "upper middle class" by you?

Rego Park impresses me as "upper middle class" (as is its neighbors Forest Hills and Kew Gardens) . . . unless my perceptions of these areas have become somewhat dated.

And Midwood has a whole collection of large gorgeous homes on immaculate streets (from what I see in Google Maps' Street View) and I would imagine you can't be just "lower middle" or even "middle middle" to maintain such homes.
A very small section of Rego Park maybe but most properties are just 200k-300k co-ops or multi family homes. Like I said Whitestone is probably the one place listed that I would imagine where a good portion of the people would be able to afford a 800k house without rental income or have a house worth 800k due to home appreciation the past decade. Your perception isn't date, those neighborhoods you mentioned are historically great neighborhoods. But I just don't consider being able to afford a few hundred thousand dollar co-op upper middle class.

I guess we have to define what upper middle class is. To me being able to max out your 401k, buying a brand new Mercedes/BMW (> C-class or 3 series), paying for day care or nanny (no slave wages), targeting to save 6 figures the kids' college funds, and being able to afford a property at least 800k all at the same time without having to live with you mom/dad/grandma/great grandma under one roof would be considered upper middle class. A very small portion of Rego Park and Midwood fit this criteria. Forest Hills which wasn't on the list, I would say is close to upper middle class like Whitestone and a section of Forest Hills I would consider wealthy i.e. those living in the 2-4 mil McMansions. And I don't don't believe those giant 2-4 mil McMansions in Forest Hills have illegal sub-partitions or basements rented out .

Old 10-28-2014, 07:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:

Why so much anger?

Poverty high with NYC Asians

29 percent of Asians in the city [NYC] live in poverty as of 2012, compared to the 25.7 percent of Hispanics and 22.5 percent of blacks who do. The poverty rates for Asians increased the most between 2008 and 2012, showed the report released at the end of April, with much of it due to language barriers and non-immigrant citizens who have no access to the city's welfare system.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Many of those homes have parts of them rented out in those neighborhoods.
I totally agree. The majority of single family homes in NYC are not being used as single family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City