Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 AM

231 posts, read 402,433 times

Advertisements

Hey there! This is an embarassing question to ask since I'm a native New Yorker, but I live in Staten Island in Great Kills/Eltingville area and the only parts of the other boroughs that I know are around 86th street in Brooklyn (I'm from Dyker Heights originally moved out when my parents got sick of paying for private school in junior high) and the area of Manhattan around Union Square/Astor Place and where my dad works by Rockefeller center.

I am 20, I work in Park Slope, and me, my girlfriend and my best friend are looking to get an apartment. Both to be around "cool" stuff and also since we all work in Brooklyn and are sick of paying the VZ bridge toll.

Here is what we want:
2 bedroom nice (non-railroad, no bedbugs, no roaches, no drug dealers on the stoop) place preferably under $2500 but definitely under $3 grand
Cool stuff to do, clubs and stuff. We aren't hipster we are pretty average people.
Non-impossible street parking. We are 3 people bringing 3 cars and we can't give em up. The subway is something I use to avoid a DUI but can't bare to be one of the sardine commuters.
Nice neighborhood but not too "much" if you know what I mean. Like I said we are a bunch of kids from the south shore and in places like Park Slope and Williamsburg around the L train I feel out of place. Somewhere with a mix of newcomers and New Yawkers, not trendyville USA.

Is this possible? Are we asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 04:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Take a look around me. Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth and Middle Village. Its close to both Brooklyn and Manhattan. South Shore kids should fit in just fine. Its not ghetto, not Brooklyn-trendy, and has some newcomers. Its made up mostly of New Yorkers.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
A really cool place would be in Whitestone - somewhere near the shoreline like Powells Cove or Bay Vista which has some apartment buildings. The sea breeze in the summer provides welcome relief from NYC heat waves. During the fall/winter, you feel the wind chill coming from the sea at its fullest effect. Now THAT is cool!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Take a look around me. Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth and Middle Village. Its close to both Brooklyn and Manhattan. South Shore kids should fit in just fine. Its not ghetto, not Brooklyn-trendy, and has some newcomers. Its made up mostly of New Yorkers.
Thank you! I found one by the Myrtle/Wyckoff station, how is that area? It's a 2 bedroom for $1900 which is way below our budget

Old 04-12-2015, 03:59 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
Thank you! I found one by the Myrtle/Wyckoff station, how is that area? It's a 2 bedroom for $1900 which is way below our budget
I recommend looking more towards Glendale or Middle Village/Maspeth, like along Fresh Pond Rd.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I recommend looking more towards Glendale or Middle Village/Maspeth, like along Fresh Pond Rd.
Oh okay. Is this a bad area? That why it's so cheap?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's more hood, plus that is where the hipsters seem to be moving to.

You mention you have cars, if that's the case I would avoid Ridgewood and look into Maspeth, Middle Village, or Upper Glendale. Parking around there is terrible.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It's more hood, plus that is where the hipsters seem to be moving to.

You mention you have cars, if that's the case I would avoid Ridgewood and look into Maspeth, Middle Village, or Upper Glendale. Parking around there is terrible.
Thanks that makes sense. I know it's on the L line which is hipsterlandia but I didn't realize that they had gotten that far down the line.

I see another one $2100 3 bedrooms by Grand Ave/69th street, advertised as Maspeth..looks like one of those Bensonhurst townhouses. How is it over there?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks that makes sense. I know it's on the L line which is hipsterlandia but I didn't realize that they had gotten that far down the line.

I see another one $2100 3 bedrooms by Grand Ave/69th street, advertised as Maspeth..looks like one of those Bensonhurst townhouses. How is it over there?
That's a good area. That's pretty much right at the heart of Maspeth.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 04-12-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
To DoomDan's point, the further away from Brooklyn the less hood and hipster it gets, and more NY native it gets. But at same time it doesn't necessarily get any more expensive because you might not be walking distance to a subway stop. So if you will rely primarily by car, you can get more for your money in a safer part of town. For $3000 you might be able to rent an entire house around here with a short bus ride to the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: