Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 PM

850 posts, read 797,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
I'm in L.A. now, grew up in South Ozone Park. I'm an Actor, so why I'm here is obvious.

Public trans here is some bull****. You need a car/motorcycle. alternatively, you need to be able to afford ubering a lot. they do have lots of coverage here. QOL can be good depending on(of course) your income and profession. what would you do out here?

If you have a problem with "illegal immigrants", don't come. If you generally have a problem with hispanics, hispanic culture, or don't like mariachi music..don't come.(I'm being a bit facetious there). but seriously, L.A. can be culture shock for New Yorkers. Hispanics run this town from top to bottom. Period.

the weather is fantastic. absolutely ****ing fantastic. you get sun or rain. some overcast days. mostly sun. If you want snow, you can have it, but you gotta go looking for it. If you like the desert, they got it for days. you really can surf/ski/etc in the same day.

the women are hot, but shallow. and kinda not smart. A lot of californians have never been further than mexico and vegas, travel-wise. cali is sorta like it's own little bubble.

Whatever job/career you have in NY is probably here too..but be prepared to be paid roughly 1/3 less for it. I don't know why. I just noticed when I first moved out that everyone was making less money for the same jobs I saw in NY for much more $$$

that all said, cali has been really good to me. Still..I'm thinking about moving back. thinking hard.
Your right on the money on alot of things. I like southern cal especially the beach cities, overall people are nice, lots of homeless probably more than SF, but as far as intellectual vibe, forget about it, its not the same as NY or boston, if you want to discuss philosophy,politics,global warming, arts,etc you have to go up to San fran for that. However if offered a job in Santa monica I would take it in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Your right on the money on alot of things. I like southern cal especially the beach cities, overall people are nice, lots of homeless probably more than SF, but as far as intellectual vibe, forget about it, its not the same as NY or boston, if you want to discuss philosophy,politics,global warming, arts,etc you have to go up to San fran for that. However if offered a job in Santa monica I would take it in a heartbeat.
California from my experience is a pretty anti-intellectual culture. People are into extreme sports and shopping, but if you talk about science or philosophy you'll probably get a "yeah man" and then awkward silence.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
California from my experience is a pretty anti-intellectual culture. People are into extreme sports and shopping, but if you talk about science or philosophy you'll probably get a "yeah man" and then awkward silence.
It varies. In the beach city where I live, about 30% of the population over the age of 25 have advanced degrees.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Los Angeles has two major universities. UCLA snd USC. Plus a number of other universities.

The beach cities are generally affluent and well educated. They also are predomi ately white. The parys of LA that are mostly Hispanic tend to be East or South.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Los Angeles has two major universities. UCLA snd USC. Plus a number of other universities.

The beach cities are generally affluent and well educated. They also are predomi ately white. The parys of LA that are mostly Hispanic tend to be East or South.
Cal Tech is probably the most elite educational institution in the area, and I would consider it even more academically rigorous than Columbia.

San Francisco also has two world-class universities in Stanford and Cal. The Bay Area is teeming with some pretty smart people.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:14 AM

237 posts, read 330,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Well..I'll put it like this: There's a reason the church of scientology is so active here as opposed to NYC. Not saying they're not in NY..but I think they probably found New Yorkers more "intellectually challenging".

In other words..no one is buying that "xenu" and "aliens implanted in your body" BS in New York City. but here?

I see those blue-shirt-wearing morons all over the place..

Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM

850 posts, read 797,010 times
Quote:
Well..I'll put it like this: There's a reason the church of scientology is so active here as opposed to NYC. Not saying they're not in NY..but I think they probably found New Yorkers more "intellectually challenging".

In other words..no one is buying that "xenu" and "aliens implanted in your body" BS in New York City. but here?

I see those blue-shirt-wearing morons all over the place..
Wow didn't know that, so LA people are gullible and can be easily conned by good religious salesmen.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
I'm in L.A. now, grew up in South Ozone Park. I'm an Actor, so why I'm here is obvious.

Public trans here is some bull****. You need a car/motorcycle. alternatively, you need to be able to afford ubering a lot. they do have lots of coverage here. QOL can be good depending on(of course) your income and profession. what would you do out here?

If you have a problem with "illegal immigrants", don't come. If you generally have a problem with hispanics, hispanic culture, or don't like mariachi music..don't come.(I'm being a bit facetious there). but seriously, L.A. can be culture shock for New Yorkers. Hispanics run this town from top to bottom. Period.

the weather is fantastic. absolutely ****ing fantastic. you get sun or rain. some overcast days. mostly sun. If you want snow, you can have it, but you gotta go looking for it. If you like the desert, they got it for days. you really can surf/ski/etc in the same day.

the women are hot, but shallow. and kinda not smart. A lot of californians have never been further than mexico and vegas, travel-wise. cali is sorta like it's own little bubble.

Whatever job/career you have in NY is probably here too..but be prepared to be paid roughly 1/3 less for it. I don't know why. I just noticed when I first moved out that everyone was making less money for the same jobs I saw in NY for much more $$$

that all said, cali has been really good to me. Still..I'm thinking about moving back. thinking hard.
You mentioned mariachi music so I presume your mainly talking about Mexicans. Mexican culture is unique and does not encompass the entirety of Hispanic culture. Just wanted to point that out. Be careful when you use big umbrella terms.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Cal Tech is probably the most elite educational institution in the area, and I would consider it even more academically rigorous than Columbia.

San Francisco also has two world-class universities in Stanford and Cal. The Bay Area is teeming with some pretty smart people.
I think you meant Stanford and Berkeley for the Bay areas world class universities. Many of their graduates work in the tech industry.

Columbia has a high rank than Cal Tech in college rankings. Stanford rivals Columbia.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
California state university system is better than SUNY.

Have visited Cali several times. First off it's a huge state. To typecast it as having one distinct culture would be crazy. It would be like saying nyc is like the rest of New York state when we know very well that is not the case. L.A has its own unique culture and is very different from the other major cities. In general Norcal is also very different from SoCal. Personally I'm not a big fan of L.A. and would probably not live there unless it was a can't miss career opportunity. But most of the other major cities and most of California I would not mind at all living in.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-13-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City