Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
LA is a huge area, you can't just say walk. They areas you listed santa monica, venice, culver city, etc would be like saying chelsea, park slope, upper east side or whatever in new york city. So just cause you live in santa monica doesn't mean your whole life will be there and you won't need to leave that area. maybe you will get lucky and find a job and apartment in the same area but you still will have other things that involve you leaving your area. Transportation will only get you by so far there, you need a car. And if you don't get one you very much limit yourself on what you can do and where you can go.
It amazes me how people like to give out grand advice without KNOWING anything about the person's finances or how the person lives.

Yes if I moved to Santa Monica it would be because my whole life is there. I very rarely leave my local area wherever I live (and I have lived in other places besides LA and NYC). I don't do long commutes either.

If I lived in Santa Monica, let's see they have grocery stores nearby, they have a post office there, Wells Fargo is there, medical services I would use are there. All basic needs that I would need to use for a weekly or on a monthly basis are there. Anything else which would be RARE I could take a bus or use a cab or rent a car in an extreme case. In short I would not need a car.

I did not use a car fall and winters 2003-2006 and I was in Los Angeles in those years. I always found jobs that were reasonably close to where I was staying as I would never do a long commute under any circumstances.

I was also only interested only in a few Westside cities (Venice, Santa Monica) and West Hollywood. So if I couldn't walk it I took the bus. I carried groceries in BAGS just like I did in NY. When occasionally desperate I used a cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City