Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Would like to point something out to you, the "intellectually challenged" people you point out come from all over the country to LA, mostly like you to try and act.

I was born in NYC and raised on Long Island, and now a long time CA resident.

I have found people out here(especially the natives) to be down to earth and friendly for the most part. Try talking to some native Angelinos, they're much different than the I just got here from Nebraska and want to be a movie star set.

I just pointed out this to a young snot who recently moved out here from NY and started talking about "LA flakes", he didn't like that I said for the most part their transplants from other parts of the country. Because it is the truth. They move to LA and seem to think acting like they're on "Beverly Hills 90210" that they watched as a child is how one should act....LOL.

OP, you talk about pricey. I love NY and in a way it will always be home. But after paying $28 for the pleasure of driving over two bridges in NY back in October, I wouldn't talk about pricey. I asked the toll taker at the GWB after paying $13 for that bridge, does that include getting your laundry done as well...LOL.

Groceries are less here, as are utilities(you pretty much don't need your heat or your A/C most of the year), property taxes much less than metro NY( when I tell people I have relatives on LI paying over $10K a year on modest homes people think I'm embellishing), so cost of living is much lower here. It's the home prices that are out of whack, other things cost less.
The actual people in the film industry and in entertainment in general tend to be fairly well educated, ESPECIALLY the people working behind the scenes.

New York also has people moving here from all around the country to be in show business. Music, theatre, publishing and film and tv are here. I would say would be artists in the 90s would often move to NY straight out of high school but now it's nearly impossible for a high school kid to move to NYC without substantially connects. Artists in NYC now often have masters degrees and many have professional day jobs before they break in (teacher, lawyer, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Having a degree doesn't make you an intellectual. My mom has two masters' degrees but if I try talking about anything science or history related she will act bored and I have to change the subject.
That's one individual who doesn't prefer to speak on certain areas.

Actually having a degree on something allows you to speak with greater authority in that on a subject, particularly if you have professional experience in something.

Example someone talks about the best ways to help NYC's underclass I generally withdraw from the conversation. I am neither a psychologist, sociologist, nor social worker. Often people who have expertise in an area will be extremely cautious about speaking in areas where they do not have expertise.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
I know someone that lived out in LA for several years and moved back to nyc because he got sick of it. It was an interesting POV in that he said it was *always* nice and sunny that it became monotonous. Every weekend was perfect weather so there was this obligation to go out and enjoy it and you had to own up to that enjoyment by saying how great your hiking, kayaking, surfing, running, etc was that weekend. He said that eventually he was just hoping for a rainy weekend so he had an excuse to sit on the couch and watch TV. Add to that, he just missed the different seasons. Sometimes you lose appreciation for warm sunny weather when it is always warm and sunny.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
I lived in LA for several years. Missed NYC everyday I was there. If you hate NYC you may love LA but if you love NYC you most likely will not love LA.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:20 PM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I lived in LA for several years. Missed NYC everyday I was there. If you hate NYC you may love LA but if you love NYC you most likely will not love LA.
Thats pretty much the conclusion of many transplants. I like NY much more than LA, but not better than Santa Monica or coastal areas. The main thing was the driving and traffic which is really hard to get used to if your coming from NY where you dont need a car. On top of that gas prices in Cal are approaching close to $5 per gallon again.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Thats pretty much the conclusion of many transplants. I like NY much more than LA, but not better than Santa Monica or coastal areas. The main thing was the driving and traffic which is really hard to get used to if your coming from NY where you dont need a car. On top of that gas prices in Cal are approaching close to $5 per gallon again.
I love NY a lot more than LA, but that doesn't mean I'll never live in LA again. I will definitely be in NYC the next couple of years or so, but after that I will review all my options. If I were to move back it would be to one of the beach cities. My favorite areas there, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Culver City, and West Hollywood were pretty walkable with decent public transportation options. Beyond that if I went shopping and had a lot of bags I would be able to pull up Uber on my phone and catch a ride.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:58 PM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I love NY a lot more than LA, but that doesn't mean I'll never live in LA again. I will definitely be in NYC the next couple of years or so, but after that I will review all my options. If I were to move back it would be to one of the beach cities. My favorite areas there, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Culver City, and West Hollywood were pretty walkable with decent public transportation options. Beyond that if I went shopping and had a lot of bags I would be able to pull up Uber on my phone and catch a ride.
Dont forget to add Water issues.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Dont forget to add Water issues.
True. Well it's clear lawns in much of California will be a thing of the past. Enjoy cacti and other desert vegetation. Washing your CAR might end up being expensive so better learn to walk or use public transportation.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Quote:
Washing your CAR might end up being expensive so better learn to walk or use public transportation.
LA is a huge area, you can't just say walk. They areas you listed santa monica, venice, culver city, etc would be like saying chelsea, park slope, upper east side or whatever in new york city. So just cause you live in santa monica doesn't mean your whole life will be there and you won't need to leave that area. maybe you will get lucky and find a job and apartment in the same area but you still will have other things that involve you leaving your area. Transportation will only get you by so far there, you need a car. And if you don't get one you very much limit yourself on what you can do and where you can go.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:25 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
I agree, one can appreciate both LA and NYC. New York will always be my hometown, but I'm also really enjoying living near the beach. My retirement goal is to live half the year in Manhattan and half the year in Manhattan Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City