Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM

49 posts, read 70,451 times

Advertisements

Possible, but not via Craigslist or something.

My nephew bought a copy of a Spanish newspaper, had his friend translate the classifieds and call the number and is subletting a $900 1/1 on Avenue B facing Tompkins Sq from a Puerto Rican couple who moved to Florida. He moved in in January 2015 so I am not giving you nostalgia.

Ethnic newspapers or online classifieds. I'm looking on a Jewish classifieds list right now and found a $1500 2 bedroom on the UWS that's Kosher accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Agreed re: ethnic newspapers.
Get the Jewish Press: available at newsstands in Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and possibly some in Manhattan (maybe Upper West Side?), and I bet you will find listings for affordable 1 bedroom apartments in neighborhoods like Midwood, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Borough Park, possibly Bensonhurst. Maybe Forest Hills and Rego Park in Queens as well.
Good luck!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:02 AM

147 posts, read 197,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
People give Bensonhurst a rough time because it's become heavily Chinese in recent decades but crime there is still very low. You can get a 2BR in Bensonhurst for about 1500/mo.
Anywhere in Brooklyn that is close to transportation and not hipster trendy is heavily immigrant terriority, so unless OP somehow fell uncomfortable around immigrants, the way to go is those trendy places, but you'll probably have to sacrifice for safety.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Anywhere in Brooklyn that is close to transportation and not hipster trendy is heavily immigrant terriority, so unless OP somehow fell uncomfortable around immigrants, the way to go is those trendy places, but you'll probably have to sacrifice for safety.
Explain? I wouldn't say any immigrant areas in NYC are dangerous really, maybe seedy at worst.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,923 times
Under a bridge.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
I can speak on Manhattan, Brooklyn is not my forte.

To answer your question, OP it depends on your definition of safe. With that budget you are likely looking at Washington Heights or Inwood. These areas are mostly brown and still look old school NYC and are somewhat gritty. Although I personally don't consider these areas dangerous many still do.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM

119 posts, read 110,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I can speak on Manhattan, Brooklyn is not my forte.

To answer your question, OP it depends on your definition of safe. With that budget you are likely looking at Washington Heights or Inwood. These areas are mostly brown and still look old school NYC and are somewhat gritty. Although I personally don't consider these areas dangerous many still do.
Actually, almost all of these neighborhoods west of Broadway are fully gentrified. Apartments east of Broadway are being renovated now and rents are rising.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
Actually, almost all of these neighborhoods west of Broadway are fully gentrified. Apartments east of Broadway are being renovated now and rents are rising.
The areas east have been hardy and a bit more resistant to gentrification but the gentrification train is indeed moving along. There is still space to get in there at an affordable rent.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM

929 posts, read 1,660,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Most of Coney Island is the hood/unsafe.
The tiny piece of it close to Ocean Parkway is okay. (close to Brighton Beach.)
I'd say the Stillwell Ave train station is mixed, but the Neptune Av train station, the NY Aquarium train station and the Ocean Pkwy station are all safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Bay Ridge is predominantly middle-class White American and has plenty of transportation.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I'd say the Stillwell Ave train station is mixed, but the Neptune Av train station, the NY Aquarium train station and the Ocean Pkwy station are all safe.

My point exactly. Anything until Stillwell is relatively okay.

But after Stillwell (most of Coney Island, which is not on a subway line): from West 14th Street through West 37th Street, is very high crime, drug- and gang-infested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: