Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
that area is still rather ratchet. don't do it
When was the last time you were there exactly? And how would you define "ratchet"?

Last edited by jad2k; 11-07-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
2 people were stabbed the other day not that far away from there good luck...if you make it back alive please check in
[Update] At Least Two People Stabbed On C Train In Bed-Stuy: Gothamist

It happened at the Ralph stop, about 4 long blocks away from Lewis. It also happened mid-day. Could have just as easily took place at the Utica or Throop stops.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,989 times
Alright thanks, this has all been really helpful.

One last question, how long does the A/C train take to get from Fulton Street (lower manhattan) to Utica station (Brooklyn) I have to be there a 7pm, so when should I leave from Manhattan?

Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
Alright thanks, this has all been really helpful.

One last question, how long does the A/C train take to get from Fulton Street (lower manhattan) to Utica station (Brooklyn) I have to be there a 7pm, so when should I leave from Manhattan?
What could it be, 15 - 20 minutes when running express. Its not a long train ride from Fulton. I think 5 stops.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What could it be, 15 - 20 minutes when running express. Its not a long train ride from Fulton. I think 5 stops.
Alright that doesn't sound so bad, so I guess if I leave grand central at like 5:40, I will get to Utica at like 6;30 latest, that gives a bit to walk to the area and grab a bite.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,386,476 times
(I wasn't counting Grand Central. you said from Fulton. My post follows, when I thougt you were asking from Fulton)
-------------
Give yourself an hour [from Fulton station to corner Halsey/Lewis..] because you're new.

That includes: walking through 2 stations (5 min total), finding the correct platform, waiting up to 10 minutes for a train to arrive, the actual 16-20 minutes on train, 15 minutes pedestrian walk to Halsey/Lewis, and 10 minutes padding so you don't worry when the train pauses along the way.

You could check googlemaps same afternoon with the route, in case of any big surprise delays.

If you have to buy a subway card, even that can add 5 minutes if you are new to the machine, or you have to wait behind someone else.

The best way to navigate NYC subways, especially at first, is pad your time generously, to allow for your walking mistakes or train surprises.. especially if you're coming for something high-stakes like a meeting, interview, etc.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-07-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
Quote:

It happened at the Ralph stop, about 4 long blocks away from Lewis. It also happened mid-day. Could have just as easily took place at the Utica or Throop stops.
I suspect a homeless person based on the randomness of it. This could of happened at 72nd and Broadway or on a LIRR platform even...

Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Quote:

This happened on a moving train that travels through three boroughs...this isn't a "bed stuy is dangerous" incident, it's a "some crazy person stabbed someone on the train" incident. It could have easily taken place on any train line near any stop. For example:

Man stabbed on Union Square subway platform: cops - NY Daily News

Man riding No. 2 train stabs straphanger after dispute over seat: police | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Subway Stabbing: Two Stabbed At Columbus Circle

6 Train Fight Video Shows Enraged Rider Trying To Stab Woman With Pen

Man Stabbed Multiple Times On Subway Platform In Chelsea « CBS New York

Man stabbed on subway platform in Park Slope | TWU Local 100

Would you like me to go on..?

OP, I'm in no way tying to scare you with these links. I'm just trying to show the absurdity of the posters that are fear mongering. You'll be in the area at a reasonable hour and when it will be well populated. Add to that that, the area has seen significant improvement in terms of safety and QOL over the last 5 years. I would bet money that when you see the area, you'll be totally shocked at what this area of Bed Stuy is like in 2015.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This happened on a moving train that travels through three boroughs...this isn't a "bed stuy is dangerous" incident, it's a "some crazy person stabbed someone on the train" incident. It could have easily taken place on any train line near any stop. For example:

Man riding No. 2 train stabs straphanger after dispute over seat: police | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

OP, I'm in no way tying to scare you with these links. I'm just trying to show the absurdity of the posters that are fear mongering. You'll be in the area at a reasonable hour and when it will be well populated. Add to that that, the area has seen significant improvement in terms of safety and QOL over the last 5 years. I would bet money that when you see the area, you'll be totally shocked at what this area of Bed Stuy is like in 2015.
All I did was respond to another poster with an article. And it did happen to be located not too far from the OPs destination. What a coincidence. Believe the criminal lives in the Ocean Hill section, not all that far away either. But please go on. Let me know if you want to turn this thread into one about whether Stuyvesant is just like any other neighborhood in the city, or if it is one of the few outlier high crime neighborhoods in the city.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

I am not that scared..... to quote every white person ever "I know Kung Fu!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City