Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,989 times

Advertisements

I have to visit an area between that crossing at around 7~9pm. I am a causally dressed Southern Italian (not a single drop of Italian blood in me, I just happen to look like one) should I be worried about my safety?

Also what is the public transportation like in that area? To get to where I live, I would have to circle back to Manhattan, and just by looking at google maps it looks to be decently far from the M train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Take the M to Myrtle Broadway and transfer to the J/Z.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,443 times
2 people were stabbed the other day not that far away from there good luck...if you make it back alive please check in

Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Take the M to Myrtle Broadway and transfer to the J/Z.
Correction, get off at Flushing and take bus down Marcus Garvey. Or find your way to the C train.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
It's fine. There are several popular restaurants and bars along that stretch of Lewis: Therapy Wine bar, Saraghia, Peaches, Bar Lunatico, Brooklyn Beso, Oaxaca, Emeline's, and they will be open at that time. You'll see a fair amount of people, including the white ones that live there, out and about. You will not stick out at all.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Correction, get off at Flushing and take bus down Marcus Garvey. Or find your way to the C train.
The A/C to Utica is the better option. I wouldn't bother with the bus.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,989 times
Quote:
How often do buses run in that area around 9pm? Sorry if I am asking so many questions, I've never been outside Manhattan (I don't even live in NYC I take Metro North from Westchester)

Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
How often do buses run in that area around 9pm? Sorry if I am asking so many questions, I've never been outside Manhattan (I don't even live in NYC I take Metro North from Westchester)
I don't know that bus route but busses are usually every 10 mins or so until late (and by late I mean past midnight). If you are taking the train from Westchester I reiterate my suggestion of taking the A/C subway to Utica. The reason I suggest the train over the train/bus option is that buses can be a bit confusing if you aren't familiar with the route and if it's dark out. I know I sometimes get confused as to where I'm supposed to get off if I'm on an unfamiliar bus line.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:35 AM

993 posts, read 1,386,476 times
Use a Brooklyn-bound A Express, or a C train to Utica Station. (Don't get mixed up with the 3,4 trains that also have a station named "Utica" -- different stations completely.)

From the A/C Utica station, walk west on Fulton Ave (towards Troy or Lewis Aves - the name changes at Fulton but it's pretty much the same street. Stick with Lewis.). Starting from subway station, walk Fulton one very long block, with a small neighborhood triangular park (iron gate waist-high)on your right. You'll see a neon sign for a daycare, so you know you're correct. Also a subway elevator is on that sidewalk.

Walk Fulton until Lewis Ave (park ends there). Turn right on Lewis.

After a block or so of Lewis, you'll see a B-15 bus stop heading north. But by then, it's only 1 or 2 bus stops to Halsey, maybe 4 blocks total more to go, walking on Lewis.

Or just walk and don't bother with the bus, which is what I'd be doing, but I'm used to the general area.

I've never taken that specific 4-block walk north on Lewis, but your destination is full of popular restaurants, as another poster noted. The Utica Ave A/C station is among the busiest in the city, and full of people between 7-9 p.m. especially along Fulton Ave. right there.

If you prefer a bus for the 2 stops or so on Lewis, Please check beforehand the B-15 bus route on the MTA. Use GOOGLE, or googlemaps or MTAPlanner. It's easy but you want to know what you're doing ahead of time. Don't get on any bus marked "Limited" because those are like Expresses and go past your local busstop.

If you're really anxious about it, get off the subway someplace huge like Atlantic/Barclay's Center, and call for a taxi service instead for the rest of the way. They line up in front of Target...

If you're returning home from Halsey/Lewis late the same night, ask your friends or whoever walk with you back to the A/C Utica station after around, say, 10 p.m. if it'd help you feel more comfortable.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-07-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 11-07-2015, 09:27 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
that area is still rather ratchet. don't do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City