Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
No it wouldn't. Established monopolies would be adverse at anything that would disrupt their business, and several technologies would not develop because of that. AT&T had nothing to do with the creation of the internet, yet it's development would not have been possible without the government mandating AT&T to allow foreign devices to use its networks. In fact, lets go back even further. Like cable companies and their boxes today, AT&T produced the only telephones that could be used on their networks. They were large and clunky. When government forced AT&T to allow access, the telephone industry exploded out of the ground, producing better phones, and eventually cordless phones. When you have a monopoly, there's no incentive to innovate. Why would would any company that answers to shareholders, waste money on research and development when they have total control of the market? Thats exactly the reason why set top boxes today are still as clunky as set top boxes 20 years ago (the only difference is a speed bump and a chip card.) Only competition drives innovation.
A part of competition is FAILURE. And if a company in a market goes out of business, if they have valuable assets their competitors will buy them out.

Using the telephone industry, we currently have for major wireless companies. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. The government won't allow any of these four to merge as they do want to keep some competition in wireless. But still, once the telecommunications industry was deregulated allowing local, long distance, and cable companies to compete with each other you saw massive consolidation in that sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 AM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The federal courts later on struck down state anti gay marriage laws. What state's rights? We all know they don't really exist.

Yes, and the court found that the federal government had no business telling the states what marriage was or was not, hence DOMA was struck down.

State's rights most certainly does exist but Congress/Washington D.C. has found ways around. The most popular is via the Commerce Clause of the USC. That and the upholding by SCOTUS that Congress can attach conditions to any federal funding that must be followed. If a state, local area or business does not want to follow those rules they have no right to federal funds. Via Medicare and to an extent Medicaid the federal government has vastly shaped healthcare in the United States. Basically facilities either follow federal guidelines/rules or don't get the money.

Again what part of the USC or whatever federal law would give any POTUS power to suspend or negate local rent control laws?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 AM

320 posts, read 283,332 times
Hes gonna make America great again. He just does with no details and I have fallen under his adolf like spell. Thats why I have his gaudy slogan as my mood, always. Im even thinking about joing the Trümp youth.

As for rent stablization, yuppies need to expand their lebensraum in ny so I hope the future führer rules out stablization and brings a final solution to the 50k plus homeless gypsies to make ny greater again.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Trump will never be president. He's going nowhere. And rent stabilization is going nowhere as well. If anything, we may see rents drop instead of zero % "increases". This is better than zero and what the working folk who live here demand. Lastly, what we need is landlord stabilization laws to protect tenants from unscrupulous practices with strong penalties including loss of all property etc. For the people who pay ridiculous rents and think everyone else should too, sucks to be you.
I wish I could see the look on your face this coming November, you are in for a big surprise

Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Now I know for sure I am correct about you. Bernie Sanders would bury him? Please, Sanders apologizes for Hillary every chance he gets"who gives a damn about your emails" etc, he doesn't even have the balls to beat her. He lets two black lives matter girls take his mic away at his rally and he walks off the stage hahaha. He's pathetic. Come on seriously, neither of them have a chance....landslide.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Market rate rentals in many areas of NYC are starting to see moderation as LL's realize there are limits to what some will pay.

In our building and area you see persons moving out all the time. Yes, often new tenants move in but the constant cycle of vacancy-rent-vacancy..... is getting old for some property owners. That and in many parts of Manhattan you are starting to see not a glut but a good number of market rate rentals available. This as persons decide to move either out of the City to Westchester or NJ where they can get more for their rental dollar, or at least to Brooklyn where again they can find better than a shoe box studio in a five story walk-up or tenement building for insane amounts.

RS tenants OTOH are in for a surprise if they think de Boob's rent board is going to vote another freeze or artificially low increase three times running. Having gotten away with it two years in row going for three will cause all heck to break loose. New York City's economy is booming with the highest job creation numbers in recent memory.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
He'll probably leave local rent rules to local politicians. It is their mess to live with and deal with.

Maybe he'll cut funding to the NYCHA. Ideally he'd want to privatize the management and operations.

I've already pointed out on another thread a week or so ago that you'd be voting Democrat no matter what. You called me racist for assuming so.
No, I don't vote Democrat no matter what.

You see if the Republicans would actually stop race baiting and would stop opposing civil rights I'd be more than happy to vote for them.

I don't like ghettoes or welfare, and I would have NYCHA sold off and demolished. I'm pro capitalism. I like gentrification. I don't like criminals.

But I did not like the racist comments Trump made about Latinos and about Muslims. Of course considering the Republicans party's current base that is to be expected.

Back in the 80s Reagan won states like New York and California. The current Republicans only win interior West and deep Southern states (Virginia and Florida have been Democratic for the past couple of elections, and demographic change will turn Texas Democratic). The nation has become more polarized. After 20 years the Democrats retook NYC leaving NY with both a Democratic mayor and governor.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Now I know for sure I am correct about you. Bernie Sanders would bury him? Please, Sanders apologizes for Hillary every chance he gets"who gives a damn about your emails" etc, he doesn't even have the balls to beat her. He lets two black lives matter girls take his mic away at his rally and he walks off the stage hahaha. He's pathetic. Come on seriously, neither of them have a chance....landslide.
I do think Sanders most likely loses to Hillary.

But I wouldn't underestimate Hillary. Having never lived in NY she still got elected Senator here when that should not have happened. Giuliani and Lazio both self destructed their campaigns against her.

Obama outsmarted her, and so he won the Democratic nomination and then the Presidency. She's fired Bill Clinton campaign advisors and hired Obama's people.

Now I'm not going to underestimate "the Donald". He certainly is no fool, and he will win the Republican nomination. Even if Hillary beats him and wins the election Trump has certainly changed the Republican party. He pushed all these mediocre Republicans to the side thank god (no more Bushes!)

Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do think Sanders most likely loses to Hillary.

But I wouldn't underestimate Hillary. Having never lived in NY she still got elected Senator here when that should not have happened. Giuliani and Lazio both self destructed their campaigns against her.

Obama outsmarted her, and so he won the Democratic nomination and then the Presidency. She's fired Bill Clinton campaign advisors and hired Obama's people.

Now I'm not going to underestimate "the Donald". He certainly is no fool, and he will win the Republican nomination. Even if Hillary beats him and wins the election Trump has certainly changed the Republican party. He pushed all these mediocre Republicans to the side thank god (no more Bushes!)
We actually agree on something, amazing. Thing is, the Clinton machine is used to pushing people around. Obama rode a wave that couldn't be stopped, and believe it or not Trump is on a very similar wave. Dissatisfaction with government and people wanting something different. Hope and change all over again in a different package. Anyone doubting Trumps ability to take the general election does so at they're own peril. Hillary has never faced anyone like this, his political incorrectness plays very well against her. Get your popcorn everybody...

Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Anyone who gets the nomination, on either side, has to do that. One of the problems with presidential elections in the US is that the extremes control the nomination process, but the vast majority in the center decides the general election.

So if the nomination is contested, the candidates pander to the hard end of their spectrum, then the nominee swings to the middle. You see this on the Republican side, since it is so wide open. On the Dem side, Hillary has always had such a commanding lead, she didn't need to play that game (although Sanders is trying to work it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No. He's more center than you think. Just watch. If he gets the nom, he will start swinging over to the left more and more. No one who is far right supports single payer healthcare(which he does).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City