Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
To answer your query. I have would have to say no. If Trump was to sign an executive law created by the congress, approaved by senate. This law or bill will affect the whole country. NYC rent laws are passed and enacted by either the city or the state. Feds only affect NYCHA which is funded by the federal government. Even though I do say that NYC has crisis such as education, transportation and housing crisis which may have to be fixed with federal response. The Feds will probably spit money to the black hole of NYCHA, but ending rent stabilization for NYC means ending rent stabilization across the whole entire country. Also ending rent stabilization wont ease rental markets. In cities like Boston for example which eliminated rent stabilization, rents still shot up. Boston today is just as expensive as NYC and San Francisco.

My best advice for folks to navigate high rental markets is to avoid socially liberally, where more than 1/4 of residents have a 4 year degree or higher, where a good percentage of the population is very transient, sophiscated types dominate the inner core of the city. As well avoiding cities that also have expensive suburbs such as Silicon Valley, or DMV suburbs outside of DC. For an average American Joe or Jane, NYC area, Bay Area, Boston Area and the DMV area are a no go for renting or buying unless one has a 6 figure job. Also Trump needs to think about rent stabilization not on a micro level of NYC, but on a macro level for the whole entire nation.

In order for NYC to end rent stabilization? It is up to the governor and the NYS senate and assembly to do just that. The NY real estate lobby is a powerful force, so powerful that the lobby probably plays both sides of the coin for either being for or against rent stabilization. Than you have those real estate folks who make money to tax abatements and tax subsidies and so forth.

My advice to you is to probably write a letter to your local congressman. Since you live in Harlem, your local congressman is probably Charlie Rangel? If possible slip in a 5k crowd funded check in your letter, and let him discuss a universal federal bill to rent stabilization nationwide on Capitol Hill.
You have an inferiority complex Bronxguyanese.

And it's grown to the point where you're presenting yourself as a loser. There is no real reason why you should not be able to step up your game and compete with these people in getting high paying professional jobs. And no not everyone who has a high paying job went to an Ivy League or top school. And even if that is true if that's what it takes there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to study hard and go to a top school eventually for grad school.

The poor people fleeing NYC will not do well in the places where they are dumped, for reasons that they weren't doing well in NYC.

I do love NYC, and if I do leave NYC again I'd go back to LA, or some other equally expensive city. There's nothing that white hipsters can do they I can't, and this is a group of people you are so afraid of and seem to believe yourself to be totally inferior too.

Newsflash, white people and rich white people are not gods. They are human just like anyone else.

I know people who have made less than six figures in NYC and gasp they own property in NYC and (ditto LA). Some people are simply better at making wise choices with their money and with their lives. Some people are just PLAIN STUPID, and that's why they are poor.

While I will be the first to acknowledge structural and institutional barriers to socioeconomic mobility, if people don't knock these barriers out of their way then it's on them and they need to own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Being from Europe doesn't give you the final word on whether Trump is racist or not.

He certainly has said racist statements towards Latinos and Muslims.
Did Trump say the racist comments? Or did the media do so afterwards under his name? Please quote him directly. Also, which race was his comments on Muslims derogatory towards? Asian, brown or white ones? There are also many other Latinos than just Mexicans. Please stop painting us all with a broad brush just because some white guy that talks intellectually at some Ivy league cartel told you so.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Did Trump say the racist comments? Or did the media do so afterwards under his name? Please quote him directly. Also, which race was his comments on Muslims derogatory towards? Asian, brown or white ones? There are also many other Latinos than just Mexicans. Please stop painting us all with a broad brush just because some white guy that talks intellectually at some Ivy league cartel told you so.
Go look up his comments. Btw, Trump (graduated from the University of Pennsylvania) IS the IVY LEAGUE WHITE GUY who painted Latinos and Muslims with a broad brush, not me.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Long as New York State and City remain a bastion of progressive/liberal/democratic politics RS is not going anywhere wholesale. It will simply die a slow death to the point it becomes less of an issue at least where rents are concerned.

Again the recent example of Boston is held up as to what happens when rent control laws are ended. Yes, housing stock in terms of quality and quantity increased for better off households, those unable to afford said rents were pushed out not only from Boston proper but surrounding close areas as well.

The latter effect is similar to what is already happening in NYC. Middle to lower upper income households unable to afford Manhattan are going into Brooklyn and Queens. That in turn is pushing people out of those areas into what remains of housing they can afford deep into eastern parts of those areas.

If RS were ended in NYC you'd see homelessness on a scale you wouldn't believe. Much of it would be middle-aged to elderly persons who cannot afford market rate housing. New York City has dedicated much of what it receives in federal housing aid (Section 8, etc....) to the "poor" homeless. Working and middle class (a very loose term in NYC demographics) cannot receive aid now. What makes anyone think ending RS the City would have funds then to help such persons?

Unlike Boston, MA in NYC/NYS housing is a *right* thanks to court decisions and the state's constitution. You think NYC and NYS spending billons now on the homeless is big money? What do you think is going to happen when hundreds if not thousands of households are facing being out on the streets.

For these and many other reasons anyone thinking the federal government and or a POTUS is going to involve themselves in ending NYS rent control scheme wants their heads examined.

First and foremost if Congress or a POTUS even passed such a law it would almost be certainly challenged by the NYS AG and NYC's legal department.

Finally if getting rid of RS/RC were so easy as a POTUS lifting his pen don't you think the vast and wealthy RS lobby in NYC/NYS would have gotten it done by now? Bush pere et fils if not Reagan were no huge fans of expansive government social welfare programs. Come to think of it even Clinton cut welfare...

Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
You have an inferiority complex Bronxguyanese.

And it's grown to the point where you're presenting yourself as a loser. There is no real reason why you should not be able to step up your game and compete with these people in getting high paying professional jobs. And no not everyone who has a high paying job went to an Ivy League or top school. And even if that is true if that's what it takes there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to study hard and go to a top school eventually for grad school.

The poor people fleeing NYC will not do well in the places where they are dumped, for reasons that they weren't doing well in NYC.

I do love NYC, and if I do leave NYC again I'd go back to LA, or some other equally expensive city. There's nothing that white hipsters can do they I can't, and this is a group of people you are so afraid of and seem to believe yourself to be totally inferior too.

Newsflash, white people and rich white people are not gods. They are human just like anyone else.

I know people who have made less than six figures in NYC and gasp they own property in NYC and (ditto LA). Some people are simply better at making wise choices with their money and with their lives. Some people are just PLAIN STUPID, and that's why they are poor.

While I will be the first to acknowledge structural and institutional barriers to socioeconomic mobility, if people don't knock these barriers out of their way then it's on them and they need to own it.
Actually I'm being realistic here. Its not that I'm marking myself as a loser. You probably see that in your eyes, but I'm being honest here, and deep down inside you probably agree with me. This also does not go for people of color, or of lower socio economics. This also applies to middle class folks who are also feeling the pinch. One must investigate, do research, think micro and macro about what is going on with themselves and the forces that causes problems from the outside towards them. The reason why I can afford NYC because I don't have kids yet or a family. My income is pretty stable. I also don't have college debts, or tied up with major legal or health issues at the moment. All these factors can cause ones economics to slope down hill . In matter of fact I have a couple of civil service positions that I have been called for. I'm not sure if I want to take it because they are very dangerous, but the pay is real good.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-04-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Actually I'm being realistic here. Its not that I'm marking myself as a loser. You probably see that in your eyes, but I'm being honest here, and deep down inside you probably agree with me. This also does not go for people of color, or of lower socio economics. This also applies to middle class folks who are also feeling the pinch.
You are marketing yourself as a loser.

Now if you wanted to leave NYC because you just don't like it and want to move elsewhere, I'd say fine go live where you want to live.

But you want to leave because you are afraid to step up your game against well off whites who you feel inferior too.

What is stopping you from getting the same kinds of high paying jobs that they get?

Because it's clear you don't really want to leave NYC.

Btw real middle class people with stable relationships are not feeling the pinch. They are generally homeowners. A middle class man married to a middle class woman will be able to afford to buy a place. Sadly you feel into being an inner city player with your relationships, and look where it got you. Work on fixing your professional and personal lives and you will be able to live wherever you want to.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM

320 posts, read 283,332 times
Were all losers. The guyanese, the oriental writer and I, the disenfranchised xenophobic white blue collar trump (should be voting for sanders or at least Hilary) voter but is too much of a stupid loser. Face it fellas we're all ****ed and know it deep down. Im gonna go cling to my guns and bible now and wait out the syrian refugees aka ISIS Armageddon that rush limbaugh told me will happen in the new year.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Actually I'm being realistic here. Its not that I'm marking myself as a loser. You probably see that in your eyes, but I'm being honest here, and deep down inside you probably agree with me. This also does not go for people of color, or of lower socio economics. This also applies to middle class folks who are also feeling the pinch. One must investigate, do research, think micro and macro about what is going on with themselves and the forces that causes problems from the outside towards them. The reason why I can afford NYC because I don't have kids yet or a family. My income is pretty stable. I also don't have college debts, or tied up with major legal or health issues at the moment. All these factors can cause ones economics to slope down hill . In matter of fact I have a couple of civil service positions that I have been called for. I'm not sure if I want to take it because they are very dangerous, but the pay is real good.
Then it seems like you don't have good options. Why is that?

Why can't you have the same options as those White kids you fear? They are able to live anywhere in this country that they want to.

Btw college debt is not a bad thing if you are able to pay it back. That doesn't mean you should borrow 200,000 to go to a third tier private school and struggle to pay it back.

I happily took out student loans to go to Cornell. They are in good standing. I am able to live in the cities where I want to live and I'm not considering fleeing to Arizona, Pennsylvania, or some other dump where you hear poor people in NYC are flocking to for salvation. In grad school I've been paying cash due to an inheritance.

You already have a bachelors, right? So do your research into careers and go to grad school even if you have to take out loans and be able to get a better professional job.

Now if you don't mind doing the dangerous civil service jobs that's fine, but to go do that because you don't give yourself options is really your fault.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
To be honest. Even though I like and I agree with some of Donald Trump's rhetoric. Their isint really much he can do about jobs, healthcare and immigration. These things were approaved by congress and signed into law by executive orders. These things may never be repealed unless congress forces it. Nafta for example needs to be repealed so that American companies can build in America instead of doing cheaply in Canada or Mexico, or certain trade agreements with Asia that allows for cheap labor usage by American companies. Also if trump wants to cut out immigration he really needs to get the immigration act of 1965 repealed. Good luck with that. NAFTA, is a joke and it was supported by both liberals and conservatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpnyhSEnXU

Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Go look up his comments. Btw, Trump (graduated from the University of Pennsylvania) IS the IVY LEAGUE WHITE GUY who painted Latinos and Muslims with a broad brush, not me.
So its fair to say that all Ivy League graduates are racist? I could definitely see that being the case, particularly after reading some of your generalizations here that you picked up at Cornell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City