Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
The immediate cause is the lack of tutoring or test prep available to everyone.
This is bull****, You are minimizing the efforts of poor Asian families at the expense of advancing a fake narrative. Many Asian families make their kids study every single day of the year and sacrifice everything for their kids to advance. Black and Hispanic community want all the accolades without any of the hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Let's be honest, most of us are not going to outcompete this tiger moms who use brute force to get their kids ahead. Most of us who are affluent can only hope we teach our kids in a more productive and time efficient way as to not sacrifice their childhood. Our youth was one of the funniest time in our life, but I do worry that when my kid is playing sports there is some Asian kid studying.
Well said. It's all about priorities. Every single one of us, regardless of income and race, have 168 hours in our weeks. How we choose to spend them is up to us. Is getting into Stuyvesant High School so important that you're willing to sacrifice sleep and free time to be in the 97th percentile on the exam? For some it is, and for others it's not. To each their own, but you can't expect the consequences to be the same for everyone.

I'm reminded of college graduates who decided to go into investment banking. They made a heck of a lot of money, but they also worked a heck of a lot of hours. Did I want their salaries? Of course. Did I want to work as many hours as they did? No! However, that means I lose my right to complain since I wasn't willing to put in the same effort as them.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
This is bull****, You are minimizing the efforts of poor Asian families at the expense of advancing a fake narrative. Many Asian families make their kids study every single day of the year and sacrifice everything for their kids to advance. Black and Hispanic community want all the accolades without any of the hard work.
I don't disagree with that, but test prep is definitely beneficial. Everyone having access to it levels off the playing field.

When I took the Kaplan course of the SSHSAT, one of the first things they told me was that the course was geared towards teaching you the tricks to acing the exam and is not really tutoring in the traditional sense.

Last edited by bklynkenny; 03-09-2016 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I agree, but we're not trying to solve all of the NYC educational issues here. Somebody can spend years studying and writing a thesis on that. The issue at hand is to minimize the racial disparity at the specialized high schools. The immediate cause is the lack of tutoring or test prep available to everyone. Personally, I disagree with it because it's just a matter of where you want to spend the money. Are you willing to forego your vacation so your kid can take summer test prep classes? In any case, test prep available to a more diverse population *should* yield a more diverse student body at these schools.
You cannot "minimize racial disparity" where one or more demographics obviously are more well prepared or whatever than others. The only way to solve *that* problem is the oft method enacted by request (usually via legal action) from blacks/Latinos; lower the standards to a level any idiot can pass and or also create specific quotas that ensure the lesser represented group is now "protected" and must be admitted and retained regardless of performance.

We've been there and done that with NYPD, FDNY and a host of other things, and look what that has gotten us...

Back in the 1980's or even parts of the 1990's when the applicant pool for specialized high schools was not very large even "average" or those just making the lowest bar were admitted. Fast forward to 2000's and with NYC's rapidly expanding population has come Asian and Indian immigrants, along with whites returning to the City in droves. Those two populations are applying to specialized high schools in such numbers that they simply are crowding out everyone else.

The answer is *NOT* to lower the bar but as many have been saying all along; get to blacks and Hispanic children starting at kindergarten and do what whites and Asians long have; focus on their education with laser beam precision and make it known failure is not an option.

Where are all these AA and Latino parents from K-5? If a kid wasn't pulling the grades *and* testing via independent means (to counter any grade inflation and or simply passing the kid along), by fifth grade then by middle school there are going to be problems.

It is like parents who get all hot about their kid not making any top colleges by his senior year. Well a duh! Everyone knows you need to have that act together by your junior year if not sophomore.

What someone needs to do is extensive research of the academic performance from say 1-5 or 1-6 grades of those accepted into specialized high schools. Just throwing out "only three percent of blacks who applied...." means nothing without knowing the underlying numbers.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You cannot "minimize racial disparity" where one or more demographics obviously are more well prepared or whatever than others. The only way to solve *that* problem is the oft method enacted by request (usually via legal action) from blacks/Latinos; lower the standards to a level any idiot can pass and or also create specific quotas that ensure the lesser represented group is now "protected" and must be admitted and retained regardless of performance.
Having a more diverse student body in these schools is certainly the goal though. Whether it's successful or not will depend on how one defines success in this scenario? Is it a higher acceptance rate for Blacks & Latinos? Or is it a student body that is reflective of the NYC population? Obviously, one is easier to achieve than the other.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:

We've been there and done that with NYPD, FDNY and a host of other things, and look what that has gotten us...

Back in the 1980's or even parts of the 1990's when the applicant pool for specialized high schools was not very large even "average" or those just making the lowest bar were admitted. Fast forward to 2000's and with NYC's rapidly expanding population has come Asian and Indian immigrants, along with whites returning to the City in droves. Those two populations are applying to specialized high schools in such numbers that they simply are crowding out everyone else.

The answer is *NOT* to lower the bar but as many have been saying all along; get to blacks and Hispanic children starting at kindergarten and do what whites and Asians long have; focus on their education with laser beam precision and make it known failure is not an option.

Where are all these AA and Latino parents from K-5? If a kid wasn't pulling the grades *and* testing via independent means (to counter any grade inflation and or simply passing the kid along), by fifth grade then by middle school there are going to be problems.

It is like parents who get all hot about their kid not making any top colleges by his senior year. Well a duh! Everyone knows you need to have that act together by your junior year if not sophomore.

What someone needs to do is extensive research of the academic performance from say 1-5 or 1-6 grades of those accepted into specialized high schools. Just throwing out "only three percent of blacks who applied...." means nothing without knowing the underlying numbers.
The average white family certainly isn't doing quite that

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The average white family certainly isn't doing quite that
Oh no?

So how do you account for the admission numbers at Staten Island Tech?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Oh no?

Haha I find it funny that white people don't realize what they do is exactly the same thing. At work many of my white coworkers with kids all talk about the books they get their kids to read, class they take, what they're good at, spending thousands on SAT prep, thousands for summer programs at universities for the older kids. The only diff between poor Asians and whites are budgets and knowledge of programs available. One of these days someone is going to write a brown bear mom book.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
We must realize that some kids are un-prep-able. They cannot do fraction, don't understand ratio. What can a tutor do? A "A" of math in many schools does not mean much.
I think many non-Asians think Asians are talentless. It's 24/7 studying being the reason that Asians dominate all state exams in all grades except English exams at the lower grades since many parents don't speak English. Or perhaps theres no Asian tutoring centers for english at the lower grades except math. Obviously they never seen anyone dumb kids in school.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Oh no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Haha I find it funny that white people don't realize what they do is exactly the same thing. At work many of my white coworkers with kids all talk about the books they get their kids to read, class they take, what they're good at, spending thousands on SAT prep, thousands for summer programs at universities for the older kids. The only diff between poor Asians and whites are budgets and knowledge of programs available. One of these days someone is going to write a brown bear mom book.
From my own upbringing and what I've observed from my friends, I am quite certain that the average white parents don't do the whole "tiger parent" thing. Obviously they want us to do well, and will do what they can within reason to guide us in the right direction, but my friends and I weren't required to go to the extremes mentioned in this thread. The super successful white students I know were like that because of their own personality and motivation. They didn't have to study all day long or go to prep school. The most they did was maybe go to SAT prep classes.

I only had like 1 East Asian friend, but while he did well in school, his parents (who are from Korea) didn't really do the "tiger parent" thing either.

And are you wealthy or something, bumblebyz? The vast majority of white kids I grew up with did not have that kind of money spent on them for educational purposes. Even the kids who were in honors classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City