Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

Predatory capital at it's best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM

139 posts, read 152,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You have to give TJ's credit; unlike some other places (Fairway.....) they are not in any rush to expand and only open new locations after *VERY* careful consideration and research. In other words if they don't think the place will bring in numbers, then the location isn't chosen.

My peeps on the UWS are thrilled a new TJs is slated to open :

West Side Rag » TRADER JOE’S CLOSE TO SIGNING LEASE FOR ANOTHER UWS STORE: REPORT
Great news! I'm in west harlem and wanted them to open one closer to me(~145th st) but this is a much more convenient location.

TJs should look farther uptown imo, I think a lot of people from the Bronx would come down to an upper manhattan store.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Predatory capital at it's best.

How is it "predatory"? That Associated has been there since 1989 and moved in when area was *vastly* different than it is today. According to the terms of the least LL had the option to up the rent to market rate in the last third (five years) of a fifteen year lease. Associated should have seen this coming a long time ago. You only have to walk north along 8th Avenue towards 23rd Street to see where commercial rents have gone and the effects thereof.

Chelsea’s Associated Supermarket threatened by rent hikes, hundreds rally to keep it open | am New York

Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Food Emporium was part of A&P and thus are gone with the bankruptcy. All stores that were not sold (and there were a good number) closed as of Thanksgiving day 2015.
I had no idea that Food Emporium was gone, but now who will make a store just for me?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:31 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromageball View Post
Great news! I'm in west harlem and wanted them to open one closer to me(~145th st) but this is a much more convenient location.

TJs should look farther uptown imo, I think a lot of people from the Bronx would come down to an upper manhattan store.
Its be great one at 145th street off the ABCD lines. Or in The South Bronx.

It's not a surprise they are going to have a store a Columbus in the 90's. Whole Foods is already there. Trader Joes tends to follow Whole Foods.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Food Emporium was part of A&P and thus are gone with the bankruptcy. All stores that were not sold (and there were a good number) closed as of Thanksgiving day 2015.
Ford Emporium is still open in Union square

Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

Even the gentry complaining now. We have reached a new level.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ford Emporium is still open in Union square
I've told ya; Food Emporium is gone, defunct, history, pushing up daisies, dead....

Key Food purchased the brand name via bankruptcy court and is using it on some of the former FE locations it got via that process as well.

Key Food top bidder for Food Emporium banner | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News

EV Grieve: Report: The Union Square Food Emporium will become a Key Food

Food Emporium sold as A&P heads to final checkout | The Villager Newspaper

Besides Union Square the FE in the Trump building on 68th and Third which was also purchased by Key Food is now their version of Food Emporium.

Guess Key Food thought FE sounded more upscale for certain Manhattan areas.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Even the gentry complaining now. We have reached a new level.

Not so much the "gentry" only, but many professional politicians, union members and bosses, and the usual demographic for NYC these days that feels "threatened"; lower income households.

Loyal Customers Rally, as Supermarket Faces Lethal Lease | chelseanow.com

As the above linked article makes clear that Associated moved to 14th and 8th decades ago when the area was totally different. Now that it is what it is the property owner, as is their right, wants to benefit.

New York City and to an extent NYS has this perpetual problem of dragooning if not outright forcing private enterprise to be part of "must provide for the poor" constitutional mandate.

Not content with basically controlling residential real estate market (and look what that has got NYC), it would appear many in city government want to do the same with commercial real estate as well. That will not end well.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Quote:
No, it probably won't as Walgreen's is soon going to have their dirty mitts on Rite Aid as well. Given what they did to Duane Reade (jacked up prices), don't see them doing anything different with Rite Aid.

Pity really as RA has some damn good specials and sales on many staples like Bounty, Tide, Gain, etc...
Ahhh. So that's what happened to Duane Reade. I remember the Duane Reade of old. They had better deals, prices and their Reward points were less stingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: