Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
You are talking about the demise of food stores and shopping centers. It won’t happen anytime soon and probably never. Americans want the freedom to shop.

Your anti-immigrant comments are not worth addressing and are irrelevant.
I'm an immigrant myself. My comments aren't ant-immigrant. They're the truth.

Of course it will take time but who cares about a bag tax? There are better things to fight for in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 06:22 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
This whole topic kind of makes me smile. The outrage about charging for grocery bags and all I mean!

Maybe we ( Canadians) have come accustomed to recycle, reuse , that it's become second nature. though I have been an odd ball is doing recycle, reuse for years..so I didn't have to change a thing about changing behaviour.

Just weight till you get a surcharge for every purchase of purchasing electronics , oil, paint or any other thing that got poured down a drain or into infrastructure systems that were affected! So a $40 gallon paint item had an extra $ 5.00 or more addition..then HST (13% ) added onto that.. or an electronic item ( from phones, computers, sound systems, TV's etc etc..got a hefty $ 20.00 + added as well. It's simply the Government services like Garbage Pickup to make people understand..This is not a disposable society anymore!

It USE to be illegal for people to remove things left at the curb for garbage pickup .. Old Fans, Old appliances, bed frames, old stuff from garage, stereo's, ..NOW it's encouraged for "Junk Collectors" who pickup, repair, use for parts and recycle it into something useful and profitable for them. There's been a huge "Sea-change" in the last 20 years!!

Conservation is a long road to educate consumer's about waste that goes on and the costs to deal with it and the direct affects to the environment .

Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
You are talking about the demise of food stores and shopping centers. It won’t happen anytime soon and probably never. Americans want the freedom to shop.
www.amazon.com

Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Thanks for the reminder to let my elected officials know that I fully support the bag tax.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
When I visited SF, having to pay for bags all the time was REALLY inconvenient.

Especially seeing people getting takeout on a workday during lunch. Most establishment don't even have bags to buy.... ugh.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Wait, Nywriterdude didn't start this thread?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:40 PM

63 posts, read 38,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm an immigrant myself. My comments aren't ant-immigrant. They're the truth.

Of course it will take time but who cares about a bag tax? There are better things to fight for in NYC.

"Of course it will take time" - At which time, shopping bags will be replaced with shipping cartons. Tree-lovers may not like that.

"who cares about a bag tax? There are better things to fight for in NYC"

See the original posting which says:

"this is NOT a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of the bag tax/price.

Rather, in a democracy, the mayor and the members of the city council are our hired-hands who we "hired" on Election Day and should be "fired" at their next Election Day for failure to check such an all-encompassing, highly controversial issue with their bosses through a REFERENDUM. If they can convince their bosses, then we should have it; that is called democracy. Frankly, in lieu of a referendum, hearings for such an all-encompassing highly-controversial issue won't cut it with the average citizen who is too busy with work and family and has no time to micromanage his hired-hands; whom he thought he could trust. For, any hired-hand should always "directly" check with his boss any controversial or doubtful item to ensure that he won't be fired over it.

If our elected hired-hands can't understand this, then fire them at their next Election Day.
"

Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 PM

63 posts, read 38,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thanks for the reminder to let my elected officials know that I fully support the bag tax.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, the original posting states that in a democracy, a
REFERENDUM is required to get the OPINIONS of everyone on such a controversial issue.

So, if you believe in democracy, when you contact your "elected officials", remind them of this.

For, though we may disagree on an issue, we all agree that this is a democracy.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
"Of course it will take time" - At which time, shopping bags will be replaced with shipping cartons. Tree-lovers may not like that.
Shipping cartons as in cardboard boxes? Those are recyclable.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

Your anti-immigrant comments are not worth addressing and are irrelevant.
It probably won't happen (demise of food stores, drug stores, etc) because for certain products, people don't want to wait the next day or even later that day to have it delivered. They want to be able to get certain things right away.

With that said, a number of retailers are going under as online delivery becomes the norm for certain types of purchases. Even department stores like Macy's find that they cannot compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City