Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:20 PM

189 posts, read 287,734 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness it wasn't passed. Another way to get money out of my pocket! Hell no! Two bags per grocery bag packed. Because of ignorant supporters who don't question anything is why NYC is doomed.

Rents are high bc people chose to pay the higher amount, and getting roommates (don't you want a place you can call.it your own and not have to share with all these people?) messing it up for those who can't afford it. And now people rather pay for bags! This is utterly insane

They always say they need the $ for something but there's never proof showing what the $ was used on.

I use my bags for garbage bags. I have limited amount of money and I am.not going to shed an extra penny one bags. If you have the money to throw away go ahead and pay the fee.

If the concern.is the environment no bag is free of environmental impact, whether that’s contributing to climate change, ocean pollution, water scarcity, or pesticide use. The instinct to favor reusable bags springs from an understandable urge to reduce our chronic overconsumption, but the bags we use are not the big problem.

Similarly to the global warming vs climate change concept that they have fed into our brains:

Scientists cannot accurately predict weather out more that a few days so why would anyone think they have proven that climate change is man-made, especially when climate change has occurred naturally for the history of the earth? Temperature records don't prove anything. There is a lot of money to be made on this and huge leverage by big government control freaks who can use this to dictate every aspect of your life so I am suspicious. The facts aren't convincing at all. Why did the control freaks change the name from global warming to climate change? Because all the cold weather made people realize that global warming wasn't really happening anything near what the control freaks were claiming. In any case precisely what causes climate to change is a guess - there are just too many variables. That being the case, the 31000 people who signed a petition saying it was a hoax are just as credible as those who signed any other petition. Fact is, no one knows why, its always been changing, and there is no evidence that this happened because I drove my car to work. To those who continue to buy into this, how do you explain the authors other points about source of CO2, record snow, moose coming back, etc? When I was in college the big scare was about the sun dying and another period of extreme cold. Maybe we should start worrying about that when we are done worrying about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM

63 posts, read 38,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post
Thank goodness it wasn't passed. Another way to get money out of my pocket! Hell no! Two bags per grocery bag packed. Because of ignorant supporters who don't question anything is why NYC is doomed.

Rents are high bc people chose to pay the higher amount, and getting roommates (don't you want a place you can call.it your own and not have to share with all these people?) messing it up for those who can't afford it. And now people rather pay for bags! This is utterly insane

They always say they need the $ for something but there's never proof showing what the $ was used on.

I use my bags for garbage bags. I have limited amount of money and I am.not going to shed an extra penny one bags. If you have the money to throw away go ahead and pay the fee.

If the concern.is the environment no bag is free of environmental impact, whether that’s contributing to climate change, ocean pollution, water scarcity, or pesticide use. The instinct to favor reusable bags springs from an understandable urge to reduce our chronic overconsumption, but the bags we use are not the big problem.

Similarly to the global warming vs climate change concept that they have fed into our brains:

Scientists cannot accurately predict weather out more that a few days so why would anyone think they have proven that climate change is man-made, especially when climate change has occurred naturally for the history of the earth? Temperature records don't prove anything. There is a lot of money to be made on this and huge leverage by big government control freaks who can use this to dictate every aspect of your life so I am suspicious. The facts aren't convincing at all. Why did the control freaks change the name from global warming to climate change? Because all the cold weather made people realize that global warming wasn't really happening anything near what the control freaks were claiming. In any case precisely what causes climate to change is a guess - there are just too many variables. That being the case, the 31000 people who signed a petition saying it was a hoax are just as credible as those who signed any other petition. Fact is, no one knows why, its always been changing, and there is no evidence that this happened because I drove my car to work. To those who continue to buy into this, how do you explain the authors other points about source of CO2, record snow, moose coming back, etc? When I was in college the big scare was about the sun dying and another period of extreme cold. Maybe we should start worrying about that when we are done worrying about this.

“Thank goodness it wasn't passed.”

The NYC Bag Tax was passed to start February 15, 2017 unless you write/email your State Assemblyman and Gov. Cuomo to stop it.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Can somebody help?

I saw a flier in one of the throwaway rags advertising a political meeting of some sort on the UES. I don't think it was for Ben Kalos. They said everyone who attended will get a free reusable grocery bag. (Presumably fabric)

Anyone know the particulars?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:44 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Apparently the elderly and the poor don't though... That's what politicians argued to shoot down the plan. Some how we cook chicken and other meats in our homes and we can clean down the countertops, but we can properly clean reusable bags? What a load of nonsense. Some communities have been receiving FREE reusable bags, so there really isn't an excuse.
Honestly, I don't know anyone who cleans their reusable bags properly. To 'properly' clean a reusable bag, you're supposed to put it in the washing machine after every time you carry unclean fruits and vegetables and/or uncooked meat. Most people never wash their reusable bags/or wash them like once a month or something. Reusable bags can carry salmonella and other bacteria if you don't wash them after every use.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post

The money is to be made in climate change for sure, and is being, by those corporations who continue to pollute the atmosphere without consequence to them. That's making $$$$.
You have a fundamental attribution error.

The problem with plastic bags, as anyone with two eyes can see, is that they are basically non-degradable pollution source. They litter the streets, the trees, they get into the sewer and cause problems, they get into the rivers, they enter the food chain of sea creatures, they finally do after many many years disintergrate into micro plastic particles which fill certain areas of the sea and as we are increasingly understanding (well at least those who haven't closed our eyes and put hands over our ears for the sake of a minimal convenience) they are causing pathologies in aquatic ecosystems.

And you think this is all a conspiracy to get 5 cents out your pocket? That's called ahole selfish narcissistic delusion.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM

189 posts, read 287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The money is to be made in climate change for sure, and is being, by those corporations who continue to pollute the atmosphere without consequence to them. That's making $$$$.

The problem with plastic bags, as anyone with two eyes can see, is that they are basically non-degradable pollution source. They litter the streets, the trees, they get into the sewer and cause problems, they get into the rivers, they enter the food chain of sea creatures, they finally do after many many years disintergrate into micro plastic particles which fill certain areas of the sea and as we are increasingly understanding (well at least those who haven't closed our eyes and put hands over our ears for the sake of a minimal convenience) they are causing pathologies in aquatic ecosystems.

And you think this is all a conspiracy to get 5 cents out your pocket? That's called ahole selfish narcissistic delusion.
Where's the proof that it is helping climate change in other parts of the country?

Paper bags ARE biodegradable. They eventually disintegrate and return to nature. Yet their use must be discouraged by charging shoppers for them.

The preferred bags? Thicker plastic bags peddled by stores. They're reusable for awhile but also eventually pile up in landfills.

Or maybe a store-purchased cloth bag, a combo of petroleum-based substance and water-guzzling cotton. Let's not even get into that environmental impact.

It all just seems like another nanny-state harassment of stressed citizens.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:43 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
Spoken as a true dictator!
spoken like a hater of the environment!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
spoken like a hater of the environment!

This is delusional unless you failed to peruse the previous postings.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

“They litter the streets”

Then enforce littering laws and increase the penalties.

“they are basically non-degradable”

Then, the environmentalists need to put their money where their mouth is and invest in research to develop a man-made biodegradable bag OR develop a process that would degrade the current bags rather than DICTATE their inconsiderate simplistic solutions on others which will change the lifestyles of the electorate who would vote accordingly.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
So then, nobody knows where I can get the free bags?

I asked at my Key Food yesterday about the impending bag fee. They said it was shot down and will not go into effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City