Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, the original posting states that in a democracy, a
REFERENDUM is required to get the OPINIONS of everyone on such a controversial issue.

So, if you believe in democracy, when you contact your "elected officials", remind them of this.

For, though we may disagree on an issue, we all agree that this is a democracy.

If indeed this were a democracy, Hillary Clinton would be president. Since it clearly is NOT a democracy (one man one vote on laws) but a representative republic, we vote for dolts who vote for bag fees. (I have a couple years worth of plastic bags, enough to become a dog walker if I liked dogs.)

Has Albany signed off on this $.05 fee? Cuomo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Thanks so much for this heads-up.

I have TWICE written at length to a couple of the people involved, listing a half-dozen reasons why the ban is a bad idea, and a half-dozen interim steps they could take, short of a ban, to cut down on the bags. Of course, the letters were basically ignored.

It's so infuriating that theses people can only think in terms of black-or-white, allow-or-ban, ignoring other solutions.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thanks so much for this heads-up.

I have TWICE written at length to a couple of the people involved, listing a half-dozen reasons why the ban is a bad idea, and a half-dozen interim steps they could take, short of a ban, to cut down on the bags. Of course, the letters were basically ignored.

It's so infuriating that theses people can only think in terms of black-or-white, allow-or-ban, ignoring other solutions.
There's no ban proposed. It's a fee that would cut down on the bags. I wouldn't mind hearing what those interim steps are if you care to share.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

63 posts, read 38,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If indeed this were a democracy, Hillary Clinton would be president. Since it clearly is NOT a democracy (one man one vote on laws) but a representative republic, we vote for dolts who vote for bag fees. (I have a couple years worth of plastic bags, enough to become a dog walker if I liked dogs.)

Has Albany signed off on this $.05 fee? Cuomo?

Your entire posting is absolutely correct.

Regarding: “If indeed this were a democracy, Hillary Clinton would be president.”

What happened to Hillary also recently happened to Gore resulting in a president who erroneously went to war in Iraq resulting in the lid being removed from the terrorists.

We need to amend the constitution to have direct elections.

Start writing to our representatives and U.S. senators to start the amendment procedure when the democrats retake control of the U.S. Congress, at which point remind them.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
aim higher people... plastic bags will save Earth. (of course it will!) considering 1/2 the globe is now being developed and being WORSE than we ever were with out output, and having 1/2 the globe being 1000x our population? :/ we are screwed, but at the same time, Earth deserves it. being mad at people who use plastic bags for dog poop is so misguided and disingenuous.

go after the real culprits of global warming.. the developing world!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Is it a done deal then: $.05/bag beginning February 15th? Or has Albany weighed in and overruled it?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Is it a done deal then: $.05/bag beginning February 15th? Or has Albany weighed in and overruled it?
I hope they can at least delay it until we can kick out DeBlasio out of office and put in someone who would cancel it.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM

602 posts, read 1,264,510 times
Quote:
Albany weighed in and over ruled it.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver
Albany weighed in and over ruled it.
Thank you, daaver. Now I can stop collecting bags

Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,510 times
Quote:
Thank you, daaver. Now I can stop collecting bags
Well, that said, it could still conceivably happen. Blocking it passed the Senate (36-22), it is likely to pass the Assembly, but Cuomo could decide not to sign it. He hasn't weighed in with his thoughts yet to my knowledge. Given his current hate-hate relationship with de Blasio though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City