Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM

63 posts, read 38,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So then, nobody knows where I can get the free bags?

I asked at my Key Food yesterday about the impending bag fee. They said it was shot down and will not go into effect.

CHECK OUT:

www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/docs/commercial-carryout-bag-fee-notice-english.pdf

You may copy/paste the above address into your browser.

Last edited by a New Yorker; 01-27-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
It's not like they are going to stop you from taking as many bags from all the cash registers once they start charging. I always grab a ton of plastic bags and stick them in my shopping bags so I can use at home for trash and dog poop. The only thing that worries me now is that it might be considered shop lifting and a crime if you take them!

Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
It's not like they are going to stop you from taking as many bags from all the cash registers once they start charging. I always grab a ton of plastic bags and stick them in my shopping bags so I can use at home for trash and dog poop. The only thing that worries me now is that it might be considered shop lifting and a crime if you take them!

The best thing to do is to write/email NOW your State Assemblyman and Cuomo to stop it.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
This is delusional unless you failed to peruse the previous postings.
Yes you need to re-read & educate yourself

Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Yes you need to re-read & educate yourself
Your posting is meaningless childishness.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
quote:
The best thing to do is to write/email NOW your State Assemblyman and Cuomo to stop it.

I am super apathetic. Like most people. I am not going to write a letter to them screaming about why I think I am entitled to free plastic bags. Id be mortified if it was published somewhere lol. Not the hill I want to die on, even if that hill has dog turds all over it. Do you ever watch local channel 1 when they have callers call in with their city gripes!? oooof I'll just eat the 5 cent bag tax and then have to figure out how to conserve 5 cents in another way, which sucks cuz i am starting to run outta ways.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

I am super apathetic. Like most people. I am not going to write a letter to them screaming about why I think I am entitled to free plastic bags. Id be mortified if it was published somewhere lol. Not the hill I want to die on, even if that hill has dog turds all over it. Do you ever watch local channel 1 when they have callers call in with their city gripes!? oooof I'll just eat the 5 cent bag tax and then have to figure out how to conserve 5 cents in another way, which sucks cuz i am starting to run outta ways.

“Id be mortified if it was published somewhere lol.”

You can write/email anonymously.

"
I am super apathetic."

That's not really correct since you are writing on this website.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:07 PM

34 posts, read 52,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Honestly, I don't know anyone who cleans their reusable bags properly. To 'properly' clean a reusable bag, you're supposed to put it in the washing machine after every time you carry unclean fruits and vegetables and/or uncooked meat. Most people never wash their reusable bags/or wash them like once a month or something. Reusable bags can carry salmonella and other bacteria if you don't wash them after every use.
This. They're not sanitary.

I'm really happy for San Francisco and Canada which apparently don't have many low-income communities.

Personally, I reuse all of my plastic bags for umbrella bags, rain boots, and finally garbage and recycling. The idea of buying a trash bag for the sole purpose of garbage always baffled me, but I was partially raised by my grandfather who grew up doing the Depression. I use reusable bags because they're stronger and i need that for a long commute, but anything cold or perishable is going into a plastic bag, because I only have time to go to the laundromat twice a month. I usually refuse small bags from a bodega because I rarely reuse it.

I always take my garbage out every night in small plastic bags. I've never had roaches or mice when I lived alone or with clean roommates. And when I'm on the rag I make sure I throw the pad out in the morning.

If my 5 cent bag gets ripped am I entitled to an exchange? If I'm at a second-hand store, can my bag be free? I'm already doing the environment and nonprofit a favor. Is there going to be a 'fee' for trash bags, too?

I am stocking up on bags. I can start buying my groceries in Nassau County.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM

738 posts, read 585,977 times
Yet another fee. It's "green" = much beloved of rich white environmentalists.

Bleecchh.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 PM

As of this date, the status is that the bill passed the NYS Senate as S362 and is in committee in the NYS Assembly as A1750.

It needs to pass the Assembly and then S362 and A1750 be in agreement and then the final version be signed by the Governor.

It is far from being automatic. Therefore, email your State Assemblyman and Gov. Cuomo.

NYC should have invested in developing a bio-degradable bag OR in developing a process which could degrade existing bags, in addition to enforcing better the littering laws.

Rather, their inconsiderate, simplistic approach was to simply “DICTATE” their will on others.

If, therefore, NYC wanted to affect the lifestyle of ALL its constituents, then, they MUST put it as a proposition on the ballot. That is called “DEMOCRACY”!

This is NOT an environmental issue; but, rather, NYC must be told to be democratic and not dictatorial.

By being apathetic and saying “that is the way things are”, then, segregation would never have ended. We must remind the politicians that we hired them on Election Day to work for us and not to dictate to us; otherwise, we would fire them at the next Election Day.

Last edited by a New Yorker; 02-01-2017 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City