Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM

34,050 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Has anyone seen those little old Chinese ladies on 5th Avenue near Mount Sinai? They have a mini factory of cans and the like. It's all very organized. I'm amazed at how many cans and bottles they find. At least 10 big bags worth of them and then they separate everything.
I work not far from Chinatown.....I have seen bags of cans stacked about 15 feet high balanced perfectly on a shopping cart rolling down Chambers Street.....I should have taken a pic.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
OP: your heart is in the right place, but, ultimately, if you want to get rid of this and similar measures, you're going to have to move out of left-wing NYC.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
No view on this, one way or another, but we do pay bottle deposits, right?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Pro collectors (the dudes that work overnight) make about 50$ in six hours a day for bottles.
I don't see how it's possible. At $0.05 a unit you need to be collecting 1000 cans & bottles, or 167 per hour

And that's not including the time to run the can through the validation machine which isn't that efficient and will probably fill up fast and need the guy to come over and empty it

Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
in NYC nobody is going to give a crap about paying a few extra cents for bags
For those that don't, it's an extra revenue source for the city. For those that do, they will just tell the cashier they don't need the bag. Especially for small purchases, or if one is already carrying some sort of bag.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

602 posts, read 1,263,567 times
Quote:
I don't see how it's possible. At $0.05 a unit you need to be collecting 1000 cans & bottles, or 167 per hour

And that's not including the time to run the can through the validation machine which isn't that efficient and will probably fill up fast and need the guy to come over and empty it
I asked the dude that does our building a few years ago, he said he made 50$ give or take 10$ typically. I dunno. I went searching for validation, since "some dude told me that" isn't much to go by. Found a NY Times article from last year that also says $50/day.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/m...-and-cans.html
Also found a NY Times article from 2011 that also says $50/day.
Bottle and Can Scavengers in Brooklyn Make Every Penny Count - The New York Times
But yeah, I hear you, that is a lot of bottles. Probably why they run those carts with all the huge bags tied to every side and on top.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For those that don't, it's an extra revenue source for the city. For those that do, they will just tell the cashier they don't need the bag. Especially for small purchases, or if one is already carrying some sort of bag.
Well, the state blocked it so it isn't going to happen. Apparently. But FWIW the NYC one had the 5 cents staying with the stores, NOT going to the city.

Quote:
Is this a tax?
No. Stores will keep the bag fee paid by the customer; the City will not receive any revenue from enacting the Carryout Bag Law.
source: DSNY - Zero Waste - Carryout Bag Fee

Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times
Quote:

I guess if you know which days the recycling is put out to the curb and know which buildings are most likely to have a lot of bottles, it could be done?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I guess if you know which days the recycling is put out to the curb and know which buildings are most likely to have a lot of bottles, it could be done?
That is what they do. The dude that hits our building is regular for years, he knows when they go out. There are 72 units here, and an awful lot of bottles in the many bags of recycling. We aren't talking about the guys that are out picking a bottle here and there out of corner trash cans. These are the dudes out in front of your building at 2am making a racket going through all the recycles. I guarantee the dude that does our building loads more than 167 in an hour.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 PM

63 posts, read 38,146 times
A tax is NOT a refundable deposit.

Moreover, tax or deposit is NOT the point.

Rather, the point is, in a democracy, how to achieve a so-called “worthy” objective.

The city council and de Blasio took the simplest, easiest way by DICTATING to others to change their lifestyle.

Without approval from a proposition on the ballot, politicians must NEVER change their electorate’s lifestyle and expect to be reelected.

There are non-dictatorial ways, as previously discussed, to achieve their objective.

Because of their dictatorial approach, we need a Trump-like shakeup of city hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City