Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

"Within the past week, however, anonymous fliers have been posted around the neighborhood warning residents that the new eatery would likely bring “excessive noise from rooftop drinking,” “rowdy patron behavior,” “loud music” and “dangerous street behavior” — complaints lodged against the two existing Boxers locations — to their area."

We'll see if the owner of Boxers is allowed to open this new location. There's neighborhood opposition against it, as the neighborhoods complain about the element these places attract.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ion-opposition

"Retired Episcopal priest Peter Carey, who lives next to the site of the proposed venue with his husband, maintained Fluet is trying to open a “noisy bar” by “masquerading as a restaurant.”

“It’s a historic neighborhood, for God’s sake,” Carey said. “It would be ruinous for the neighborhood to have such a thing going on, with people staggering into the streets at 2 in the morning, and all of the concomitant evils that go with that.”

There's even opposition from gay people who live in the area.

I realize there is a similar thread on Rebar, but Rebar has already opened and this case is different. Neighborhood opposition seeks to keep another gay bar from opening up in Chelsea, and if these neighborhoods had their way the two Boxers bars would not even be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
nimbys gonna nimby

Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
"Gay Sports Bar"...yeccch.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Let them all brats move to the Bronx, I say!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Well Chelsea has long changed, so hopefully NYWriterDude didn't post this to exemplify an "attack" on the gay community. What I see here is a real community (gay and straight alike) looking to maintain some sense of sanity, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well Chelsea has long changed, so hopefully NYWriterDude didn't post this to exemplify an "attack" on the gay community. What I see here is a real community (gay and straight alike) looking to maintain some sense of sanity, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I made no such allegations, in fact I quoted a married gay man who did not want this new bar to open up in the neighborhood, over the concerns about the issues it would cause. So for clarification purposes, I'm saying the community (gay and straight) has legitimate quality of life concerns when it comes to these places opening up. As community organizing gets more powerful you'll have less and less bars getting approval, as the State Liquor Authority often (but is not obligated to) follows the community board recommendation.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
I live in Chelsea, and several straight bars and restaurants which serve alcohol have opened in the last few years yet I never saw flyers around protesting them and their patrons "rowdy behavior".

I have no doubt that neighbors don't want a noisy business very close to them no matter who the owner/patrons are - but it's clear to me that any business associated with gay people gets extra scrutiny.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I made no such allegations, in fact I quoted a married gay man who did not want this new bar to open up in the neighborhood, over the concerns about the issues it would cause. So for clarification purposes, I'm saying the community (gay and straight) has legitimate quality of life concerns when it comes to these places opening up. As community organizing gets more powerful you'll have less and less bars getting approval, as the State Liquor Authority often (but is not obligated to) follows the community board recommendation.
Less and less bars in general or just gay ones? I'm just curious because this isn't the only bar trying to open that has been under scrutiny. Most of your posts seem to highlight gay bars.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Less and less bars in general or just gay ones? I'm just curious because this isn't the only bar trying to open that has been under scrutiny. Most of your posts seem to highlight gay bars.
Well since you claim to live in NYC, you should know, and no, most of my posts on city data are not on gay bars. The other thread where discrimination was alleged at rebar is the only thread in which I made multiple posts on the subject.

Now stupid being ridiculously argumentative. Anyone who knows lower Manhattan knows there's less and less BARS, and it's hard to open up a bar in a WEALTHY neighborhood because neighbors protests for some very obvious reasons. No further explanation is needed for someone who knows the city.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Well, in my opinion, no one wants bars at their residential areas - not only the affluent. Take for instance the bars that have opened up in the west side of inwood by Dyckman street. Many of the residents there are up in arms about the noise. Unfortunately, once a bar opens, there's very little the residents can do about it except call the bar itself about noise complaints or 311 - which is basically doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City