Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

My guess is either Williamsburg, Greenpoint, LIC, Astoria, Ridgewood, Jackson Heights, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Gowanus, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Greenwood Heights or Sunset Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM

377 posts, read 509,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Why anyone cares what this guy's third world miserable mentality is. He hates it ALL!
Many of New York city's best neighborhoods are gritty. Is the city! Millions of people live work and visit the city's every corners daily!
Reminds me people from Chicago who come for the first time to the city. NYC is not Chicago! Is always been like that,and has improved a lot.
Might be gritty but far from third world. Why you in the City,Just GO!
I love New York
Nice to hear from a friendly and reasonable soul! I totally agree with you. Amen, amen.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:07 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Why anyone cares what this guy's third world miserable mentality is. He hates it ALL!
Many of New York city's best neighborhoods are gritty. Is the city! Millions of people live work and visit the city's every corners daily!
Reminds me people from Chicago who come for the first time to the city. NYC is not Chicago! Is always been like that,and has improved a lot.
I love New York
He, like some other posters have an obsession with the "third world," "poor people," the ills of the ghetto and a generally dystopian pathology that's quite idiotic and very far fateched and silly.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
I love New York
You got that right. On if knowing Chicago before NYC. I lived in Chicago for 6 years. Before my first visit to Manhattan. The movies don't show trash bags on sidewalks in Midtown by Times Square or the Empire State building. Or a sense of grime that is more "Politically Correct" under the guise of the term Gritty and gated and shuttered storefronts when closed. I remember my first visit.

You DO NOT see that in downtown Chicago. The Wealth of NYC should have it make a better effort to clean up its key areas of Manhattan. Surely there is a better way to do bags of garbage better and ban those gated stores in key areas of Manhattan at least too.

Heck, it sure does not look safer then Chicago. I abhor those shuttered stores even on 5th Ave parts. If it can ban Big Sodas. It can ban those Gated-storefronts too. They are ugly and give you a sense of looking like you are in a high-crime neighborhood.

Ahhh, buts it's New York..... fa'geta'bout'it

Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 AM

139 posts, read 127,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You got that right. On if knowing Chicago before NYC. I lived in Chicago for 6 years. Before my first visit to Manhattan. The movies don't show trash bags on sidewalks in Midtown by Times Square or the Empire State building. Or a sense of grime that is more "Politically Correct" under the guise of the term Gritty and gated and shuttered storefronts when closed. I remember my first visit.

You DO NOT see that in downtown Chicago. The Wealth of NYC should have it make a better effort to clean up its key areas of Manhattan. Surely there is a better way to do bags of garbage better and ban those gated stores in key areas of Manhattan at least too.

Heck, it sure does not look safer then Chicago. I abhor those shuttered stores even on 5th Ave parts. If it can ban Big Sodas. It can ban those Gated-storefronts too. They are ugly and give you a sense of looking like you are in a high-crime neighborhood.

Ahhh, buts it's New York..... fa'geta'bout'it
Chicago have alleys to put the trash on and hide it,even in some Downtown streets. So is relatively easy to maintain.And the areas that doesn't have the alleys downtown are limited so not as equal to compare since it takes less of an effort. Most other areas have alleys.

Chicago folks do NOT party like New Yorkers do either! Lol That's a factor which certainly leave a trace behind.

Also,Chicago never had the graffiti history that New York has. So is another factor that makes it look cleaner.

I'm not saying New York can't do better. Of course it can, and it has over the years.But there's a series of factors as explained If it comes down to comparing it with Chi-town and nevertheless a third world country!

And don't get me started about safety in Chi-town streets vs NYC! 5th Avenue unsafe? Cmon!

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 03-19-2017 at 03:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 AM

There is quite the differance in population density between NYC and Chicago.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Washington Heights
Don't think it's the Heights because he described a food desert. There's plenty of decent places to eat in the Heights.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Don't think it's the Heights because he described a food desert. There's plenty of decent places to eat in the Heights.
Oh yeah? Name some that aren't chains or Dominican...

Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
He's talking about Bushwick I bet. I lived over there myself for nearly 3 years...not all of them bad but I eventually wised up and jumped over to the Jersey side of the river. Been over here 10 months now and have to say basically everything is less expensive and easier over here and IMO I can't see ever dealing with Brooklyn or Queens again. I just hate LI in general. If I had to live in the 5 boroughs again it would be one of the other 3.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
He's talking about Bushwick I bet. I lived over there myself for nearly 3 years...not all of them bad but I eventually wised up and jumped over to the Jersey side of the river. Been over here 10 months now and have to say basically everything is less expensive and easier over here and IMO I can't see ever dealing with Brooklyn or Queens again. I just hate LI in general. If I had to live in the 5 boroughs again it would be one of the other 3.
He said a safe neighborhood. So assumed it wasn't Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City