Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Its gotta be Southside, East Williamsburg, Ridgewood, or Sunset Park.
I doubt it's Sunset Park, it doesn't fit his description from what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Chicago have alleys to put the trash on and hide it,even in some Downtown streets. So is relatively easy to maintain.And the areas that doesn't have the alleys downtown are limited so not as equal to compare since it takes less of an effort. Most other areas have alleys.

Chicago folks do NOT party like New Yorkers do either! Lol That's a factor which certainly leave a trace behind.

Also,Chicago never had the graffiti history that New York has. So is another factor that makes it look cleaner.

I'm not saying New York can't do better. Of course it can, and it has over the years.But there's a series of factors as explained If it comes down to comparing it with Chi-town and nevertheless a third world country!

And don't get me started about safety in Chi-town streets vs NYC! 5th Avenue unsafe? Cmon!
The trash bag thing and the gated storefront thing are fake complaints, nobody who actually likes big cities would care.

Also, NYC has way less crime than Chicago.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:22 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
I'm not sure why the OP just doesn't tell us what neighborhood he/ she is talking about but for the most part they are right about the bad parenting seen in these neighborhoods. These parents are expecting for schools and the government to take care of their kids. That's why these low income communities breed disruptive students with low test scores who can't even read well.
I once did volunteer work for a police precinct in a low income neighborhood and was surprised to see high school kids not being able to read at a normal pace. It was sad actually. These children are not raised to stay home on a school night and do their homework. They spend their time on the streets hanging out.
If I were mayor, I'd impose a curfew on every child under 16 years of age: if you're out in the streets after 6pm - pay a fine of $250. The fine will be to the irresponsible parent. Two time offense - $500 fine. Three time offense - $750, etc etc.
Same for households with loud music after 10pm. One complaint- $250, second $500 fine.... etc etc. Same for people who don't pick up after their dogs. The living quality of this city would go up drastically.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh yeah? Name some that aren't chains or Dominican...
Too many to list but here is a start,

*Restaurants - New York City, Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC - MenuPages Restaurant Search }

By the way even in the most mediocre Dominican restaurant these days they will have grilled (not fried) chicken and salad if that's what you want to eat.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Too many to list but here is a start,

*Restaurants - New York City, Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC - MenuPages Restaurant Search }

By the way even in the most mediocre Dominican restaurant these days they will have grilled (not fried) chicken and salad if that's what you want to eat.
You're funny. That first page alone is full of grease spoons. Chinese take-out, Dominican places, etc. Just as I said. Even the pizza joints are probably run by Dominicans. Not exactly diverse...

Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I'm not sure why the OP just doesn't tell us what neighborhood he/ she is talking about but for the most part they are right about the bad parenting seen in these neighborhoods. These parents are expecting for schools and the government to take care of their kids. That's why these low income communities breed disruptive students with low test scores who can't even read well.
I once did volunteer work for a police precinct in a low income neighborhood and was surprised to see high school kids not being able to read at a normal pace. It was sad actually. These children are not raised to stay home on a school night and do their homework. They spend their time on the streets hanging out.
If I were mayor, I'd impose a curfew on every child under 16 years of age: if you're out in the streets after 6pm - pay a fine of $250. The fine will be to the irresponsible parent. Two time offense - $500 fine. Three time offense - $750, etc etc.
Same for households with loud music after 10pm. One complaint- $250, second $500 fine.... etc etc. Same for people who don't pick up after their dogs. The living quality of this city would go up drastically.
Maybe OP doesn't even live in this neighborhood. Or maybe he is afraid people are going to find Harry Pothead at Mockingbird Lane

Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You're funny. That first page alone is full of grease spoons. Chinese take-out, Dominican places, etc. Just as I said. Even the pizza joints are probably run by Dominicans. Not exactly diverse...
Lol you funny it's several pages long with plenty of good restaurants. But hey whatever is convenient for you. The point remains that Washington Heights is not a food desert, especially compared to places like Brownsville, EAst New York, many Bronx neighborhoods etc. Any reasonable person can see that.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Lol you funny it's several pages long with plenty of good restaurants. But hey whatever is convenient for you.
From my experiences, the first page is a pretty good indication of what to expect, or do you think it gets better? If you think that two types of cuisines are diverse, then no, it's not a food desert.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
From my experiences, the first page is a pretty good indication of what to expect, or do you think it gets better?
Don't bother, I know your MO already...

Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Don't bother, I know your MO already...
And what is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City