Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, so going by borders that are Nagle, Hudson, 155th, and Harlem River, I did a quick search using an internet site called Yelp. There are "entry" bars you can put at the top. For the top left, I wrote "Restaurants" and then for the other part I wrote "Washington Heights" at first, then realized that it goes quite a bit over Nagle. Instead, I changed it to go from Broadway and 173rd and then used a "filter" for distance of 1 mile. This sometimes goes a bit over especially a few blocks south of 155th street, but if you look at the map where they point things out, you can "filter" things with your own eyes! Here is a link with the parameters in the url string I used.

I also took the liberty of listing a few that were good with most being places I've been to before. This is a good start for you, but if you need additional help, let us know! The board is here to help!

Rue la Rue Cafe Golden Girls - themed cafe that serves well done, but pretty run of the mill American food that's done well.

Tampopo Ramen This is ramen, not Dominican style and not a chain.

The Pandering Pig French / New American stuff

Kazza Wine Bar Pretty much what it sounds like

Le Cheile Probably a contender for top ten burger in Manhattan

GoGo-Gi Korean place that replaced a similar Korean place that was in the exact same place.

La Cabana Salvadorena which is Salvadorean and quite different from Dominican except for the inclusion of rice and beans

Bodega Pizza which is supposed to be good sit-down pizza.

Las Palmas is a good sit down Mexican place.

Company on Edgecombe is supposedly good.

Kismat Indian Restaurant gets the job done as your good, but not great neighborhood Indian restaurant.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tung-thong-...sq=Restaurants similar as above, but for Thai, might eliminate this one because it has one sister restaurant called Tung Thong 181

La Libertad is a very nice Salvadorean place

El Guanaco is another Salvadorean restaurant

Golan Heights is an odd Kosher Mediterranean place that's good

Locksmith Burger Bar looks like what it sounds like

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wahizza-new...sq=Restaurants another pizza place!
It's interesting that you don't have more Kosher places listed. There is a Jewish population in Washington Heights, albeit a small one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's interesting that you don't have more Kosher places listed. There is a Jewish population in Washington Heights, albeit a small one.
There are more, but the ones that do/did exist aren't or weren't very good for the most part. The list I posted was not exhaustive and perhaps I should have very clearly stated that. However, if you need help using the Yelp website, I think we can do it!

One note to my previous post--if you want to figure out if a place is not Dominican or not a chain, you will have to also exercise a bit of judgment. The Dominican part might be a bit tricky because they are not always listed as Dominican, but sometimes as Spanish. The "Spanish" restaurants aren't all Dominican, but many are in Washington Heights. For chains, you will have to use google or perhaps reference this non-exhaustive list on wikipedia. Hopefully this has been helpful to you and that we have all learned how to better users of web technology today and that there does exist restaurants that are neither Dominican nor chains within Washington Heights!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Your not so bright. There is also a Jewish academic institution of higher education known as Yeshiva. Jews primarily live on the opposite side of Washington Heights west of Broadway.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
There are more, but the ones that do/did exist aren't or weren't very good for the most part.

One note to my previous post--if you want to figure out if a place is not Dominican or not a chain, you will have to also exercise a bit of judgment. The Dominican part might be a bit tricky because they are not always listed as Dominican, but sometimes as Spanish. The "Spanish" restaurants aren't all Dominican, but many are in Washington Heights. For chains, you will have to use google or perhaps reference this non-exhaustive list on wikipedia. Hopefully this has been helpful to you and that we have all learned how to better users of web technology today and that there does exist restaurants that are neither Dominican nor chains within Washington Heights!
I speak Spanish, but thanks for your "lesson". Your condescending tone about using the web is cute. I stand by my comment in terms of their being a lack of available options up there, especially considering how large the area is.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Your not so bright. There is also a Jewish academic institution of higher education known as Yeshiva. Jews primarily live on the opposite side of Washington Heights west of Broadway.
Really? Tell me something I don't know. Last I checked that area was called Washington Heights too...

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I speak Spanish, but thanks for your "lesson". Your condescending tone about using the web is cute. I stand by my comment in terms of their being a lack of available options up there, especially considering how large the area is.
Wait, but you wanted a list, but weren't able to generate it yourself, right? I think the instructions were explicit enough, but if you need additional help, don't be ashamed! Every technology has a learning curve! I'm sorry it could not be a complete and exhaustive list, but you know that old adage about "teaching a man to fish" and I think it's a good one!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Wait, but you wanted a list, but weren't able to generate it yourself, right? I think the instructions were explicit enough, but if you need additional help, don't be ashamed! Every technology has a learning curve!
The idea was for you to prove me wrong, not about a bloody list. I'm impressed that there was at least one wine bar on your list.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The idea was for you to prove me wrong, not about a bloody list. I'm impressed that there was at least one wine bar on your list.
I think a thank you would be sufficient, but a "help me" if you're having difficulties is fine, too.

You can just say "help me!"

So here is the help. Similarly to when I said you can use the text entry forms on the top before, you can apply it again!

On the top left, I wrote "wine bar" instead of "restaurants" and then on the top right, I once again wrote in the area "173rd and Broadway". After that, we do the same thing as before--we "check" the filter for "Walking". And voila! The results!

So it's very similar to the last one in terms of process. Now let's walk through another one when you're ready! Don't feel intimidated, because, incredibly, this was once new to me as well!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I think a thank you would be sufficient, but a "help me" if you're having difficulties is fine, too.
You're a funny one!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Really? So all of the people renting market rate apartments are either poor, haven't established themselves or are just going to be in an area temporarily? The majority of New Yorkers RENT, regardless of their economic status.
No. People who move up socioeconomically in NYC purchase property and often move to the suburbs.

Within the city itself, people who are well off purchase homes.

My statement stands. Renting is for poor people, those who haven't established themselves, or who are going to be in an area temporarily.

It's funny seeing poor white people move into a ghetto, and then complain when the ghetto doesn't instantly change. Gentrification can take decades, so you'd either need to able to like the neighborhood as it is, or you need to move. Plain and simple.

By the way, having a full time job does not mean that you're not poor. Some of the right wingers on this forum are a lot closer to poverty than they admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City