Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
He said a safe neighborhood. So assumed it wasn't Bushwick.
It's safe enough by today's standards, especially the part above Mrytle Ave it's pretty gentri-fabulous with hipster palaces and overpriced new construction everywhere. Now 20 years ago I'd call it unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's safe enough by today's standards, especially the part above Mrytle Ave it's pretty gentri-fabulous with hipster palaces and overpriced new construction everywhere. Now 20 years ago I'd call it unsafe.
Maybe by Jefferson, Troutman and Starr. Or Wyckoff Heights in general. There is a Michelin Star restaurant there now.

Or it could be Ridgewood. We got dog poop every freaking where.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:57 AM

283 posts, read 233,999 times
Oh wow you guys are obsessed. It's an outer boro neighborhood with primarily a Spanish speaking population. I think these types of neighborhoods all seem to have similar quality of life. Right now, my neighbors downstairs are enjoying a nice Sunday morning by blasting their music for everyone in the building to hear. Very typical behavior in this neighborhood. How generous of them!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Oh wow you guys are obsessed. It's an outer boro neighborhood with primarily a Spanish speaking population. I think these types of neighborhoods all seem to have similar quality of life. Right now, my neighbors downstairs are enjoying a nice Sunday morning by blasting their music for everyone in the building to hear. Very typical behavior in this neighborhood. How generous of them!
I don't understand why you won't just name the neighborhood. It'll make it for a better discussion.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
He's talking about Bushwick I bet. I lived over there myself for nearly 3 years...not all of them bad but I eventually wised up and jumped over to the Jersey side of the river. Been over here 10 months now and have to say basically everything is less expensive and easier over here and IMO I can't see ever dealing with Brooklyn or Queens again. I just hate LI in general. If I had to live in the 5 boroughs again it would be one of the other 3.
What did you hate about Bushwick? Let's have a b it ch fe st together

Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I don't understand why you won't just name the neighborhood. It'll make it for a better discussion.
Because people get ultra defensive about their neighborhoods and it becomes unproductive. Also, they're similar in terms of quality of life. My neighborhood isn't Bushwick or Washington Heights but the problems are exactly the same

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Its gotta be Southside, East Williamsburg, Ridgewood, or Sunset Park.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Kind of a silly thread. Throwing around the term "third world" is so meaningless. When visiting other countries, are you really seeing those places at their worst? And trying to make generalizations like all of brooklyn is a certain way or all of queens or all spanish-speaking neighborhoods. Some people need to get out more and actually experience other places. And also not make wide-sweeping generalizations about things in which they have limited experience.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Kind of a silly thread. Throwing around the term "third world" is so meaningless. When visiting other countries, are you really seeing those places at their worst? And trying to make generalizations like all of brooklyn is a certain way or all of queens or all spanish-speaking neighborhoods. Some people need to get out more and actually experience other places. And also not make wide-sweeping generalizations about things in which they have limited experience.
To me, third world implies no infrastructure (power, transportation, sewer, etc). There is no neighborhood is NYC that remotely comes close to that.

Seems like the OP was mislead when he first moved to NYC. Yes, there are both wealthy and poor neighborhoods in NYC. Some have good quality of life, some have poor quality of life. There's a vast difference between living in Brownsville and living on Park Avenue.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
To me, the Third World = having to smell the skank aroma of nasty ass yoga pants in your face on the train. disGUSTING. Please, ladies (and men) wear some underwear, put some tampons in (please!) and stop thinking it's okay to walk around sticking your spandexxed ass in peoples faces. guh ROSS! it's all white ladies doing this btw.
I for one, have no problem with spandexed ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City