Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM

783 posts, read 576,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
There's way too much emphasis placed on funding. There have been studies conducted decades ago that refute the role of funding in academic performance which have been ignored continuously. I could give a crap less about having even nice computers before high school. From my own experience all the stuff isn't necessary. In fact technology is probably making some kids more dumb and lazy. The easy access to a calculator on smartphones must be killing some kids' ability to learn to do basic small arithmetic in their heads. As a comp sci guy I would even say you an skip all this effort into trying to teach programming for all too and leave them as electives. As long as the students have a strong foundation in math all that stuff will come to them if they want it. It's the core fundamentals whether math or verbal that the majority of students in NYC lack that's holding them back. For me I just want a barebones school with up to date books, a big chalk or marker boards with good and well behaved students. They can save their money on all the extras and give me an extra tax refund for all I care. If kids can't even do long division in elementary school how much money do you want to throw at the problem to fix it? Can attempting to teach programming work if they can't even figure out what a remainder is? If so what kind of computer programming is it really?
This is 100% correct. It always puzzles me how many people equate 'more money' with 'learning'. You don't need $500 computers and $700 iPads to learn basic math or reading. Hell, you don't even need those shiny new textbooks that they keep publishing a new edition of each year (yet only changing 5 words in the whole book). Basic math hasn't changed that much in the last few hundred years. 5+5 is still 10.

But do you know the one thing that these schools need that few people ever discuss? Discipline. There are so many knuckleheads and disruptions in the classrooms these days, it makes it impossible for teachers to teach and for the students who want to learn to learn. I have posted my experience before with working in the NYC school system at a high school in the Bronx. It was a disturbing and sad experience that made me promise to never set foot in another NYC public school again. They had a new building, new computers and new books. They also had a system where students acted like animals and there was nothing done about it. So the teachers spent most of their time trying to deal with idiots instead of teaching. Until the administrators are capable of dealing with the discipline issue, no amount of technology or money will get you better results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:02 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but I always thought there was a lack of manhood from some posters here. Nobody goes on constantly about how scared there are, and about how they need to flee to some mythical place where there's no bullying unless they have seriously issues with their masculinity and self confidence.

Now if he said he was mugged with a weapon or something I could see. But buying a guy at a deli a drink out of fear? I can't imagine either you or Airborneguy would do that.
You are being more than rude, but rather intolerant and dismissive of others. Obviously this is probably why schools will never get fixed, because there no space where people can have an honest discussion about the topic. I am sure you can deduct the difference between SeventhFloor, Airborneguy, and bumblebyz.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are being more than rude, but rather intolerant and dismissive of others. Obviously this is probably why schools will never get fixed, because there no space where people can have an honest discussion about the topic. I am sure you can deduct the difference between SeventhFloor, Airborneguy, and bumblebyz.
Bumblebyz has extremely disparaging things about two entire groups of people, as well as NYC schools in general. And it's really all due to trauma

I'm sorry he was bullied and I'm sorry he's frightened so easily he has to buy strangers drinks at delis. With that said, I wasn't rude at all. He has serious issues he needs to work out with a mental health professional and Intruky hope he does.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:43 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
I'm sorry he was bullied and I'm sorry he's frightened so easily he has to buy strangers drinks at delis. With that said, I wasn't rude at all.
You questioned the masculinity and manhood of an Asian person and wondered why he can't be more physically imposing like a black or white person. All the while ignoring that Asians get targeted in ghetto areas across NYC.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 AM

104 posts, read 116,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
This is 100% correct. It always puzzles me how many people equate 'more money' with 'learning'. You don't need $500 computers and $700 iPads to learn basic math or reading. Hell, you don't even need those shiny new textbooks that they keep publishing a new edition of each year (yet only changing 5 words in the whole book). Basic math hasn't changed that much in the last few hundred years. 5+5 is still 10.

As an NYC public school parent, a former tutor at a high-risk school, and a former public school student, I can state with some experience that funding and diversity is a huge factor in student outcomes. Money doesn't just buy shiny toys, it pays for tutors, teachers assistants, after-school programming, art classes, field trips, gym teachers, etc. Yes, throwing money at a failing school won't solve all of its problems but (along with other changes), it would help tremendously and to state otherwise is foolish.

Socioeconomic diversity within a school is also important. Diversity doesn't just benefit the low-income student. Affluent children who live in a bubble often grow up to be narrow-minded adults who cannot understand the perspective of someone who had life experiences different than their own.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
Socioeconomic diversity within a school is also important.
It is important but that is one of the hardest things to achieve. Perfect example is the gentrifying family who elects to enroll their kid in private school rather than public.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You questioned the masculinity and manhood of an Asian person and wondered why he can't be more physically imposing like a black or white person. All the while ignoring that Asians get targeted in ghetto areas across NYC.
I questioned his masculinity for incessant whining, and I would say the same for any so called man who buys someone a drink at a deli to avoid getting beat up. Sad little snowflake.

I have no statistics on how Asians interact with or treated in supposed ghettos in NYC. One victim does not represent any entire race.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It is important but that is one of the hardest things to achieve. Perfect example is the gentrifying family who elects to enroll their kid in private school rather than public.
You have private school scholarships that go to certain kids that score well enough to earn them.

You also do have public schools in gentrified neighborhoods that have attracted gentrifiers. The main issue is that New York has had restrictive zoning. But that is now being challenged.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but I always thought there was a lack of manhood from some posters here. Nobody goes on constantly about how scared there are, and about how they need to flee to some mythical place where there's no bullying unless they have seriously issues with their masculinity and self confidence.

Now if he said he was mugged with a weapon or something I could see. But buying a guy at a deli a drink out of fear? I can't imagine either you or Airborneguy would do that.
I didn't buy crap, I was a 12 year old that wasn't given back my change. What the heck was I supposed to do punch the store owner with the hoodlum next to me that commande d him to do That? Seriously who's the pus*y the 40 year old store owner, the 17 year old hoodlum or the 12 year old Asian kid? I guess going to an AN IVY as a diversity candidate says it all. If you're putting the blame on a 12 year old you have serious issues.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-13-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 08:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
I questioned his masculinity for incessant whining, and I would say the same for any so called man who buys someone a drink at a deli to avoid getting beat up. Sad little snowflake.

I have no statistics on how Asians interact with or treated in supposed ghettos in NYC. One victim does not represent any entire race.
Ignore all you can and if it makes you happy fine I was an exception somehow or I'm making all this stuff up or just read about it somewhere and just wanted to disparage people even though I never experienced it myself. Also I don't whine or talk about any of these things. It's just that this is a public forum where peopla always whine and I just want to share my 2 cents especially when dumb liberal newspapers do all the whining for underperforming minorities when I saw many of the things wrong with it and is largely self caused. To repeat nobody including me ever talks about these things. We all understand that in the bigger scheme of things it means jack s*it. And I don't hate these minorities. I'm actually happy when I see a black person in the office and I will not raise my kids to purposely shunn anyone because of their race since I saw first hand why that was dumb. But it doesn't mean I don't hate the hood culture and I will not lie and sugar coat how people behave just to make people like you happier. Also if you can't take being teased on even a public forum then just block me. And once again as a parent I do not want the hood culture forced down my throat. And if anyone of any color wants to live near me they can go buy or rent something. And if it's all fine in ghetto land why are politicians from these areas constantly whining about how this and that is unfair.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-13-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City