Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well if you've traveled to other places in the US you would notice very quickly it's not a "NYC thing".

I'm super health conscious. I run a couple of times a week, go to the gym regularly, avoid fried foods and never drink soda (I love carbs though, lol!) but I also understand the obesity isssue is a larger health problem for America as a whole.

Also, a lot of the "traditional foods" that are heavy or otherwise "unhealthy" wouldn't be that big of an issue of people were more active. Traditional American foods are super heavy but 100 years ago, more jobs were manual so burning off a large meal was an easier task.
Correct. Some of the worst I have seen is Alabama, and Mississippi. Rural areas. Also in the Midwest in boring rural areas like the whole Midwest actually. And it is strange how WalMart attracts obese people. Maybe because they offer electric sit down shopping carts?

From what I remember people out west are not as obese, it's just not so bad as in places like Missouri or Kansas. In parts of coastal California, Oregon, Washington, and Montana, people are slimmer in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Most of the people I encounter on a daily basis in NYC do not have an obesity problem. Also true on public transportation, at least within the areas I tend to travel.

However, that said, I did have a job for a few years that put me face to face with many low-income people. Most I would say were born and raised in NYC, as far as I know. Their socio economic status did not seem to indicate that they had moved to NY from elsewhere for more opportunity. More likely they were raised in NYCHA and couldn't leave NY because they can't afford to.

In any case, there was a huge obesity issue with this crowd. Of course not everyone was obese, but I encountered more obese people while working within that population that I ever have during all my other years in NYC. So yes, the obesity problem certainly exists, but only within these pockets where low income people are found.

Another note - I ride the 7 train a lot since that's one of the routes that goes through my area, and I also do not notice much of an obesity issue on there, even though (I assume) many of those riding are lower income immigrants. It seems that immigrants from these particular countries don't have the obesity issue that those born here have. So I guess they are eating healthily due to common practices from their home countries. And/or working their tails off.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
That's all I am saying is this is NOT okay.

You guys are concerned about your politics, your real estate and your government news, but the issue of health in our society is what concerns me. In your link that is SERIOUSLY something that needs to be addressed in our country.
There are people that are trying to address it! I'm not fully versed in this but I believe Michelle Obama was trying to make changes at the school level (someone else might be able to speak to hat better). I also have a friend that works in DC for a non profit that specially works to make healthy choices easer for families. It's called Parnership for a Healthier America. People are aware of the problem but making changes means battleing industries that have deep pockets.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Seems like the OP is more into scorning people rather than being genuinely concerned about them.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Yeah. I don't really know of any obese native New Yorkers. How can you when you have to walk everywhere?
Personally, I've never had a weight problem of any kind.

Most obese people are from the Midwest or from down south where you need a vehicle for everything - even to buy a pint of milk. But you hardly see any of those communities moving to NYC. The rest are from the Caribbean where diets may consist of fried foods - fried plantains, bread, etc. I believe this is what the OP refers to. In other words, another one of his/her racist troll posts.i
Depends on which Caribbean food, because Jamaican food seems pretty healthy. It consists mostly of stewed and grills meats, rice, and veggies.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Seems like the OP is more into scorning people rather than being genuinely concerned about them.
OP has the body of a Hawaiian Adonis or so he says.....

Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Come to think of it, whenever I walk around upper Mamhattan or The Bronx, the majority of people i see are slim. Lots of Puerto Rican and Dominican chicks with slammin bodies!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
In parts of coastal California, Oregon, Washington, and Montana, people are slimmer in those states.
Clearly you have never been.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Come to think of it, whenever I walk around upper Mamhattan or The Bronx, the majority of people i see are slim. Lots of Puerto Rican and Dominican chicks with slammin bodies!
I second this. People are actually fatter in LA, or at least I've seen more overweight people there. Not as much in NYC.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .....

Quote:
This morning I took a bus ride. The bus was packed and during the ride I noticed there was only one person on the whole bus who was height and weight proportionate. Me. It was gross. The bus smelled like people who eat McDonalds. I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.

It disturbed me. Some people talk politics and some people talk real estate. I talk health. The truth often pisses people off but it should be known better here in NYC. As I have mentioned before at this forum many times I have traveled the world around a lot. I have seen worse obesity, namely when I taught English in Mexico. Obesity in Mexico is much worse then USA because of the foods they eat in Mexico.

Sure Mexican food (and respectively, USA foods) may taste good but every ingredient and food combination is usually bad for you. Vegetable and corn oils on everything. Iodized salt on everything. Cheese, from pasteurized milk, from mistreated cows. Refined white sugar. Refined white flour. Refined and modified - everything. And too much meat and too much protein. Low quality ingredients. Sure there is cilantro which is okay. But overall everything is so unhealthy. I remember in Mexico they drink more Coca Cola then water. Coca Cola is actually less expensive then water.

It is not much different here in the USA and NYC is particularly bad compared to suburban and rural areas because there are not so many food shops to make impulse buys. Obesity in NYC is the norm.
One thing that always annoys me about Manhattan is that Fresh Fruit and Vegetables are really expensive compared to higher fat and lower nutrient dense foods which is sad. I literally one day walked through New York in to less tourist areas just to see if I could find more affordable grocery stores and after 4 hours in to the walk even through areas of Manhattan that are supposed to cater to lower income ... I found NOTHING!

The entire experience was worrisome to me. Personally for me it was made the idea of even wanting to live in Manhattan undesirable. Manhattan is extremly walkable and when there I do my best to walk vs taking transit when possible. Anytime I am there I basically end up snacking on bananas and apples as they are the least expensive ( an still very expensive compared to elsewhere). An entire jumbo bag of potato chips cost less then an apple. This is pretty sad in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City