Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Great example of the fact that gentrification doesn't just bring new people, or new money. In the end, it will wipe out everything old and do it with the attitude that the new way is better and "no one" misses the old.
You obviously don’t have a teenager. It’s pretty common for younger people to have no respect, or desire for things their parents and grand parents value. That’s why traditional things people used to pass on to family are sitting in antique shops and their antique roadshow value has plummeted.

Remember when the demolished Penn Station.... this is not a new phenomenon. It’s likely more acute because millennial outnumber the boomers. (GenX is a small generation with very little cultural influence.)

Old 12-22-2017, 09:38 AM

881 posts, read 614,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
H.Loser, you are very verbal, which trait I normally greatly enjoy in people, but I do not have time at the moment to read all you wrote (will do it eventually, though).
Certainly -- the great thing about internet forums is that we may correspond at our leisure, affording us the possibility of the kind of in-depth and extended conversations necessary to think things out thoroughly.

Quote:
Just a computational comment: the monthly figure of $750 that I gave for the UBI is from my own "study" which consisted of taking about 60% of the next year's projected IRS revenue of $3.654 trillion (keeping the remaining 40% or so aside for the national defense),
Though you're using projected IRS revenue, the most common practice is to use GDP, in which case the number's more like 4%. I've never heard of 40% for national defense except in erroneous leftist memes (I'm a leftist but I believe in honesty above all) -- and, again, though you're using apples and I'm using oranges, I don't think defense spending eats up that much of any budget, no matter the calculation. It would be ruinous! Only during WWII did it peak at that level....

Quote:
then dividing this $2 trillion of available tax revenue by 12 (to get the monthly figure for the entire country), then dividing this figure by 3/4 of 310 million (since, according to the last census, the population of the US was about 310 million, and 3/4 of that were the people over 21) to get the monthly figure for each US adult. That figure is approximately $750.
That sounds plausible as you've laid it out here -- I would only caution (in addition to what I'd mentioned above) that government expenditure should not consume the entire budget; there must be savings somewhere so it's probably much less than $750/MO.

That's why I find Bernie's penny-tax on Wall Street trades (eight to twelve billion per day is the norm) to make so much sense (though again, the economic consequences need to be explored [such as companies listing on foreign exchanges in response, perhaps]).

Also, how do we pay for Universal Basic Income in the face of population increases? Should mandatory population controls be put into effect, then?

And since automation won't happen overnight (meaning delivery drivers won't all lose their jobs all at once, cashiers won't all lose their jobs simultaneously, etc.), how do we implement Universal Basic Income without disrupting the economy to the point of disaster??

And how could Universal Basic Income account for the morons over-reproducing above and beyond what they're already doing???

This is why "racism" is so important to solve...I fear "racism" is going to ruin Universal Basic Income and any other aspects of the advanced civilization we should be designing and building: practical approaches will be abandoned simply on account of political correctness....

Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
They have huge house music events there every year. It being to small was not the case it was folks saying they didn’t want the noise. Please explain why the new inhabitants have been trying to get rid of Afropunk from being held in commadore park?. I grew up in Fort Greene and still live there it’s nicer but for me not better in terms of fun. It’s turned into a commercialized neighborhood. Gentrification also leads to housing discrimination as well as landlords doing crazy things to try and kick rent controlled tenants out. Remember the big issue with the Poor Door entrance at these condo buildings?
I don't live in or have frequented that part of the city. What time of the day were these house music events?

As far as landlords... people are greedy. That's been the human condition for centuries. They recognize their properties are heart and they say, "how can I take advantage of these white people and make money off of them." Because you know, they all aspire to be working adults sharing a space with two other adults.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I don't live in or have frequented that part of the city. What time of the day were these house music events?

As far as landlords... people are greedy. That's been the human condition for centuries. They recognize their properties are heart and they say, "how can I take advantage of these white people and make money off of them." Because you know, they all aspire to be working adults sharing a space with two other adults.
Only two? How about 5 or more in some cases........

Old 12-22-2017, 02:26 PM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
So my question to you. Are you attributing it to (white) gentrification rather than changing times? The area I lived in just before my move to the Bronx still had block parties. But that area was one of the few areas that had an old school NY feel. It was not an area known for poc btw.
Sigh...

There are still plenty of block parties being held today. They're nothing extravagant--they'll just rent a bouncy castle and another ride for the kids to play in, play some music and block off the street so kids can ride around on their bikes. But they do happen. There was one in my neck of the woods just three months ago.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:05 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
So, the Christmas is over - anyone interested in continuing this thread?

H.Loser has argued that a moronic welfare-dependent behavior is bred into certain people's DNA, while Roseba has argued that almost irreversible patterns of behavior are copied from immediate family into a child's brain by a very early age. But what about people who try very hard (and succeed) to escape negative ancestral patterns of behavior/growing up in negative environment, what is different about those people? Strength of motivating factors, maybe?

Knowing and discussing a history that might explain a behavior of a social group, like having years of psychoanalysis and discussing one's personal history, might be an intellectually satisfying exercise in rationalization - but it does not change a destructive behavior, either of a group or a person. I think the only things that can change a hardwired brain habit are the factors that increase motivation to change (which can be helped with certain medications actually, although I am not proposing yet to medicate groups of people out of welfare :-)

Let's consider my accent. I came into the US at age 23 from a country with a very different language, and at almost 58 I still have a strong foreign accent. But my accent does not prevent people from understanding me, does not impair communication, and does not create problems in practicing my profession - so, I was never sufficiently motivated to expend effort, time and money to erase the accent (which can be done almost to perfection, although with substantial effort, if you work with a speech therapist, practice relentlessly, and listen to your own taped voice). But if having a foreign accent were illegal in the US, I would surely have made an effort to erase it.

Okay then, but - as opposed to welfare lifestyle - my accent does not hurt other people, and I do not take taxpayers' money because I have an accent. My brain habit of having an accent is harmless. But a brain habit of generational welfare dependence, having numerous kids one cannot support, abandoning education, and pursuing crime - these generational brain habits are very harmful. If one withdrew financial support for these habits, I think there would be a very strong motivation for these habits to disappear, no matter how hard-wired they might be.

PS - as mentioned, I have problems with my tablet (in addition to problems with typing, now it keeps crashing after typing every few sentences - so I have to go back to edit my post several times before I finish what I want to say). Therefore, if you want to comment on my post, please check the final version of it. Thanks.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-26-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I totally agree -- I'd already suggested in the other thread that African-Americans should agitate for mental health instead of burning down their own neighborhoods fighting for muggers and other miscreants.

And I take issue with this whole "racist" business...the word has lost its meaning thanks to "the usual suspects" constantly trotting it out for every little thing -- The-Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf Syndrome....

Here's some ancient Chinese wisdom that will blow your mind (surely a 5,000 year-old civilization has seen it all before, don't you think?):

If you would fight theft, stop praising wealth.

I'm paraphrasing but it's an incredible idea if you think about it.

You can substitute "racism" and "political correctness" and you'll see the easy answer right there....

That line comes from the Tao Te Ching -- I don't understand 99% of it but that one line stood out to me as so true...and Taoism in general, in how the universe is deeply dynamic (i.e., constantly changing) and thus everything contains its own opposite within itself....

Anyway, yeah, cognitive behavior therapy and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) meditation...I think minorities should get that for free instead of "40 acres and a mule."
Just a quick note, but Taoism as a religion and Tao Te Ching as a text aren’t actually that closely interrelated. Taoism historically drew a lot from the text, but the text exists separately from the religion.

Tao as a word means way or method so all kinds of things get lumped together. Tao Te Ching is interesting as a way to think through things—Taoism as a semi-religious practice often entails some pretty wacky rituals.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-26-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 09:03 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I totally agree -- I'd already suggested in the other thread that African-Americans should agitate for mental health instead of burning down their own neighborhoods fighting for muggers and other miscreants.

And I take issue with this whole "racist" business...the word has lost its meaning thanks to "the usual suspects" constantly trotting it out for every little thing -- The-Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf Syndrome....

Here's some ancient Chinese wisdom that will blow your mind (surely a 5,000 year-old civilization has seen it all before, don't you think?):

If you would fight theft, stop praising wealth.

I'm paraphrasing but it's an incredible idea if you think about it.

You can substitute "racism" and "political correctness" and you'll see the easy answer right there....

That line comes from the Tao Te Ching -- I don't understand 99% of it but that one line stood out to me as so true...and Taoism in general, in how the universe is deeply dynamic (i.e., constantly changing) and thus everything contains its own opposite within itself....

Anyway, yeah, cognitive behavior therapy and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) meditation...I think minorities should get that for free instead of "40 acres and a mule."
H.Loser, I still have to get through the rest of your voluminous contribution to this thread, but just want to point out that the easiest and most natural cognitive therapy, ie, the ordinary school curriculum, grades K-12, has already been given to the entire US population, at a reasonably low cost to the taxpayers. Every child dependent on welfare is offered a free alternative and the solution to all his/her social problems already. And despite all the totally unreasonable outcry against quality of public schools, the fact is that public school teachers are some of the most dedicated people in this country, almost like religious missionaries. They have already tried all they could. It is now time to withdraw welfare support (and, on the contrary, to institute financial penalties) for dysfunctional behaviors, including dropping out of school, having unsupportable kids, or comitting crimes (including as a juvenile). The carrot has failed, so don't be surprised if you see the whip soon (judging from Paul Ryan's website, they will probably first go very hard against disability recipients, tightening control over who gets disability payments).

Stopping to glamorize wealth is a large topic for some occasion when I have time, but just again, how would you do it? Have a school program in not glamorizing wealth? Incidentally, I do not glamorize material wealth at all, but I do value a wealth of ideas and experiences, and you DO need some basic money (not a wealth, but some basic money substantially greater than welfare) to have access to ideas and experiences.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-26-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Remember when the demolished Penn Station.... this is not a new phenomenon. It’s likely more acute because millennial outnumber the boomers. (GenX is a small generation with very little cultural influence.)
They demolished Penn Station because it was a gigantic boondoggle that even the Pennsylvania Railroad couldn't afford to maintain or keep (made worse when cars and air travel replaced rail in the 1950s) and because no one else was willing to buy it for that same reason.

And what's going on with millennials is more acute because they have the luxury of rejecting the past without push back. If they decide that the past is worthless, they can just run to their little internet echo chambers and agree with each other about it. It's not like in the old days when teens still had to answer to some authority. If you had rambled 20 years ago that vaccines were evil, a parent, teacher, etc. would've corrected you. Now millennials just bypass authority and think and feel whatever they want on Reddit and other echo chambers of the internet.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmc197 View Post
"Preserving the culture..."

Ever been to parts of the South Bronx? Place is a hell hole. I hope they gentrify the s**t out of it. We should not be preserving anything that looks like that place.

Gentrify baby, Gentrify!!!
I hope they do, too, so that five years from now we can watch you cry when developers start pushing you and other gentrification apologists out of your neighborhoods to make way for real estate speculators and 1%ers. Or whine about the explosion in homelessness and vagrancy when the people who get pushed out of the South Bronx wind up setting up encampments in your neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City