Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Something is going on that the nuns aren't letting out of the bag.

How do you do this to the kids/girls? Everyone just got back from Christmas holidays and getting back into the routine and they spring this on them totally out of the blue? Five months before semester ends? Not even let the girls who are sophomores and juniors graduate with their class?

Sincerely hope this isn't about real estate; if it turns out to be there is going to be war. Word out of archdiocese office is they can do nothing because the nuns own the property outright.
There is nothing anyone can do if the nuns on the property outright. They're free to sell it.

I'm sorry that this happened and that they gave no notice though.

Perhaps there was some lawsuit the nuns have to sell and the way this is being settled is shutting down the school and selling the property. Because if they were just having financial difficulties, you'd think they've had told the parents and the community to see if people could come together and fundraise.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
How sad for students, faculty, and staff. And sad for all of us if, as a few posts mentioned, the property falls into the hands of people like those who committed the Mt Manresa atrocity. I went to St Joseph's Hill Acad., across the street, and had many friends who went to St John's. This was literally a half century ago, but the memories of those days are both numerous and happy. The SJVA alumni will have to settle to having those memories. That might be enough, but still, not having the school there is a blow. I really feel for those who can't stay long enough to graduate. Kids are resilient, life will go on, etc etc, but most kids prefer continuity. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what the land will be used for. Personally, having grown up in Arrochar and seeing the gradual nibbling away of its charm (tear-downs, ugly mini-mansions), I wouldn't be optimistic.

Am going with you attended Saint Joseph's Hill from K-8; otherwise the mind boggles at the visuals of "Frank" in saddle shoes, bobby sox, a long blue skirts and white gloves.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is nothing anyone can do if the nuns on the property outright. They're free to sell it.

I'm sorry that this happened and that they gave no notice though.

Perhaps there was some lawsuit the nuns have to sell and the way this is being settled is shutting down the school and selling the property. Because if they were just having financial difficulties, you'd think they've had told the parents and the community to see if people could come together and fundraise.

Why is it always the girls Catholic high schools on SI that are closing. When Saint Peter's boys had "issues" things were solved rather quickly and that was that; the school isn't going anywhere. Ditto Monsignor Farrell.

Even if the nuns are or have sold up to developers; why not keep things on the up and up and let parents know from the start the place was on market. No, instead let parents enroll their kids/daughters then drop a bombshell like this on them out of the blue?

Whole situation is just too moist, and nuns or not there is something going on that may never come out.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
There’s only 2 all boys schools. There are three for girls and used to be 4. The market can’t maintain 3 I guess. Catholicism hasn’t kept up with the times, it’s going to suffer. Their market is mainly illegals for Church, but they can’t afford the schools.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Am going with you attended Saint Joseph's Hill from K-8; otherwise the mind boggles at the visuals of "Frank" in saddle shoes, bobby sox, a long blue skirts and white gloves.
Yeah, K-8. And yeah, the whole saddle shoes, etc. look just wouldn't work for me.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There’s only 2 all boys schools. There are three for girls and used to be 4. The market can’t maintain 3 I guess. Catholicism hasn’t kept up with the times, it’s going to suffer. Their market is mainly illegals for Church, but they can’t afford the schools.

From my memory used to be five for girls, now they're down to two. There were three for boys down to two.

Girls Catholic high schools on SI

Countess Moore (became co-ed)
Notre Dame
Saint John's Villa (now closing)
Saint Joseph's Hill
Saint Peter's (closed)

Co-ed (since founded?)
St. Joseph by-the-Sea High School

Boys:
Monsignor Farrell
Saint Peter's
Augustinian Academy (closed)

Staten Island Memories: Augustinian Academy | SILive.com

Staten island Monastery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August...(Staten_Island)

https://thisbirth.wordpress.com/tag/...lition-snacks/

Augustinian Academy property ran from foot of Clove Road up Howard Avenue towards (what is now) campus of Wagner College. In fact they bought the property to expand.

Growing up never knew what was behind all those woods but had friends who lived up there and said "some old school". As kids we were warned to stay out.

The Augustinian fathers who helped found Good Counsel just turned over that school to the NYC Archdiocese.

Augustinian friars will leave Our Lady of Good Counsel | SILive.com

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Think for K-8 yes, you are probably correct. Many Catholic parents on SI opt to send their kid to the local public school (if it is good), then maybe Catholic for high school if they don't move to NJ, kid makes it into McKee or one of the other top NYC high schools. Most of girls shown in pictures of Saint John's Villa HS seem "ahem" American.

My guess is the tuition and the amounts of scholarships that are given out for even high school students because not all parents can swing the nearly nine grand per year.

Will say perhaps in all fairness maybe the nuns looked around and realized the elementary/high school campus was out of date and in order to compete they would need an very expensive building program. Where would the money come from?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Lock up enough priests and you have to pare down the Catholic schools.

No loss.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
From my memory used to be five for girls, now they're down to two. There were three for boys down to two.

Girls Catholic high schools on SI

Countess Moore (became co-ed)
Notre Dame
Saint John's Villa (now closing)
Saint Joseph's Hill
Saint Peter's (closed)

Co-ed (since founded?)
St. Joseph by-the-Sea High School

Boys:
Monsignor Farrell
Saint Peter's
Augustinian Academy (closed)

Staten Island Memories: Augustinian Academy | SILive.com

Staten island Monastery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August...(Staten_Island)

https://thisbirth.wordpress.com/tag/...lition-snacks/

Augustinian Academy property ran from foot of Clove Road up Howard Avenue towards (what is now) campus of Wagner College. In fact they bought the property to expand.

Growing up never knew what was behind all those woods but had friends who lived up there and said "some old school". As kids we were warned to stay out.

The Augustinian fathers who helped found Good Counsel just turned over that school to the NYC Archdiocese.

Augustinian friars will leave Our Lady of Good Counsel | SILive.com

I'm talking about now, not time immemorial.

There were 3 all girls schools and obviously the market cannot sustain all three. Villa unfortunately came out the loser. That's the way it works.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Will say perhaps in all fairness maybe the nuns looked around and realized the elementary/high school campus was out of date and in order to compete they would need an very expensive building program. Where would the money come from?
That seems to be the excuse they are going with. Could be true. That campus does look outdated from what I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City