Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

This hits home...

What's next for students at closing St. John Villa Academy? | SILive.com

Hundreds gather at St. John Villa Academy looking for answers | SILive.com

Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM

954 posts, read 940,050 times
Wow... it’s like we all have nightmares about this happening when we are young. But for it to happen in real life...

Wow....just wow

This is literally like the worse thing that has ever happened.

Never forget.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Ehhh my catholic school closed when I was in elementary school. I went to another. Its really not that big of deal in the grand scheme of life.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
OP prolly has personal ties, dont be so rough...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,278 times
I have family members that have attended that school and one cousin who is currently enrolled. People are devastated. Apparently, the SI Advance got wind of something that caused them to dig down into the story and were going to run an article about the closing. The school was taken off guard that they gathered everyone up for an assemble today and informed them that the school was closing. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. Students, teachers, admin. staff Custodial staff. The parents received a mass automated phone call that a mass email with an important announcement will be sent out within several minutes of the phone call. Really crappy way to do this to the kids. I really hope we aren't looking at another Mt. Manresa situation.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP prolly has personal ties, dont be so rough...

Besides friends who grew up with, a few family members went to SJVA.

Leaving all that aside there are a few "iconic" Catholic schools on SI; Saint Peter's Boys, Notre Dame, Monsignor Farrell, and Saint John's Villa Academy.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I have family members that have attended that school and one cousin who is currently enrolled. People are devastated. Apparently, the SI Advance got wind of something that caused them to dig down into the story and were going to run an article about the closing. The school was taken off guard that they gathered everyone up for an assemble today and informed them that the school was closing. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. Students, teachers, admin. staff Custodial staff. The parents received a mass automated phone call that a mass email with an important announcement will be sent out within several minutes of the phone call. Really crappy way to do this to the kids. I really hope we aren't looking at another Mt. Manresa situation.

Something is going on that the nuns aren't letting out of the bag.

How do you do this to the kids/girls? Everyone just got back from Christmas holidays and getting back into the routine and they spring this on them totally out of the blue? Five months before semester ends? Not even let the girls who are sophomores and juniors graduate with their class?

Sincerely hope this isn't about real estate; if it turns out to be there is going to be war. Word out of archdiocese office is they can do nothing because the nuns own the property outright.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times

They just upped and closed the school overnight with no warning? I wonder what could have led to this. If it is finances their accountants have some explaining to do. Their accounts didn't just go into overdraft overnight. They can't find enough funds to finish the school year?

Such is life. Kids are resilient and will adapt to any new school environment. Schools close all the time and the kids didn't die. Staten Island is going through some things. Opioids, foreclosures, now school closing. Stay strong.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
How sad for students, faculty, and staff. And sad for all of us if, as a few posts mentioned, the property falls into the hands of people like those who committed the Mt Manresa atrocity. I went to St Joseph's Hill Acad., across the street, and had many friends who went to St John's. This was literally a half century ago, but the memories of those days are both numerous and happy. The SJVA alumni will have to settle to having those memories. That might be enough, but still, not having the school there is a blow. I really feel for those who can't stay long enough to graduate. Kids are resilient, life will go on, etc etc, but most kids prefer continuity. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what the land will be used for. Personally, having grown up in Arrochar and seeing the gradual nibbling away of its charm (tear-downs, ugly mini-mansions), I wouldn't be optimistic.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Man, a lot of Peter's and Farrell boys won't get to have the experiences we had now.

I could tell stories about Villa and its girls all day long from my high school days. My wife is a New Dorp HS girl, but I have many fond memories of those white tights during my teens.

Also my grandmother went there in the late 30's, 40's. That's a more clean memory. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City