Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Aside from my feeling that ALL immigration into the United States should be stopped because there is not enough work for the people we have much less more to drive down wages, there is NOTHING that I agree with Donald Trump on.

As far as religious schools go, Trump would support them with tax breaks and their right to enter politics. I, on the opposite spectrum, think they should all be leveled to the ground.

If I were an all powerful overseer, Donald Trump would long ago have been imprisoned or beheaded.
That would destroy cities like NYC, which are really only held up by foreigners coming in and out. NYC would end up like Detroit. Ditto LA. Housing prices would go down. But goodbye cheap services like food, laundry, etc as immigrants do all that work.

The universities are already taking a huge financial hit as they make a lot of their money from foreign students, and Trump is scaring them off.

You don't have to worry, Trump will frighten foreigners away. And they'll take their money with them, and you won't like the economic fallout. Much of the professional worker in the city is done by immigrants. Asian doctors, Nigerian doctors, Philipino nurses, etc. Wait till these people all LEAVE.

I'm a teacher, and I'm not convinced American schools are producing enough people who can advance to be able to do professional work, and that isn't going to change with an immigration ban.

Trump, who wants to ban immigration, is cutting funding to education. So out of work American teachers will end up needing to immigrate themselves. Not to mention out of work doctors, nurses, and social workers, as medicaid gets cut.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The city hospital system pulled broke patients aside and helped them apply for medicaid. Sadly it didn't occur to the nuns to do this for their patients.

Then again more financial help could have come from the church itself, but it was busy liquidating assets to settle pedophilia lawsuits.
Talk what you know!

It sadly was the large problem in the end with all RC hospitals; they were too heavy with Medicaid patients. In case you did not know that scheme pays *very* little on the dollar for hospital costs. Yes suppose it is better than getting nothing, but at some point if that is all there is, then a place will go bankrupt.

Oh and by the way the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation is nearly bankrupt from all those Medicaid patients. If anyone in Albany or city hall had any balls they'd start serious reform by streamlining that system including closing down several hospitals. But the unions won't wear it, so that is that for now.

Back to Saint Vincent's.

One reason the place was shunned by the newly rich and wealthy Greenwich/West Village and Far West Side was because the place had acquired a reputation as a charity/ safety net hospital. In short it was where "poor" people went (and indeed they did thanks to the many contracts with social service, Medicaid and other sorts), and that is *NOT* where the Mark Zuckerbergs of NYC go for hospital care.

Worse insurance companies refused to pay the place anywhere near decent rates, in fact most were only willing to give slightly less or maybe more than Medicaid.

Critical Care: The Fall of St. Vincent’s Hospital Manhattan - The New York Times

City & State - The bargain that closed St. Vincent

St. Vincent’s postmortem: Why Village hospital died

For the record same thing happened pretty much with Saint Vincent's on Staten Island. Even now the newly named "Richmond University Medical Center" is a place many on the Rock avoid. Mostly out of a reputation that serves the mostly "poor" North Shore communities.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Aside from my feeling that ALL immigration into the United States should be stopped because there is not enough work for the people we have much less more to drive down wages, there is NOTHING that I agree with Donald Trump on.

As far as religious schools go, Trump would support them with tax breaks and their right to enter politics. I, on the opposite spectrum, think they should all be leveled to the ground.

If I were an all powerful overseer, Donald Trump would long ago have been imprisoned or beheaded.
You sound like a Trump-Obama hybrid supporter with a little Hitler sprinkled in.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Write the Vatican a letter on that. But the problem is the top men controlling the church don't have relationships either. The police in Italy arrested some priests, and they caught them smoking crystal meth and having sex with each other. But hey, at least they were having sex with adults and sex with any consenting adult is legal.

The church would rather shrivel up and die than reform and let priests marry.....

So GOODBYE and GOOD RIDDANCE.

The pedophiles attracted to being priests are self loathing men men who are using the priesthood to try to cover up that have issues with their sexual orientation/guilt about being gay. Any decent openly gay person wants a man, not a child.

If the church didn't have it's anti gay teachings and then try force celibacy on it's priests, it wouldn't have had these issues.

In short the church is just PLAIN STUPID, and a horrible organization.
Sounds like the priesthood life might be right for you. You can help legalize drugs at the Vatican.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Sounds like the priesthood life might be right for you. You can help legalize drugs at the Vatican.
No. I don't need the priesthood to sleep with grown men or to party.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:31 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,814 times
I can't remember ... what was this thread supposed to be about???

Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City