Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have to say that if the way you handle opposing views (at least here on the forum) was more common, your question wouldn’t even be necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don’t know about New York, and maybe you are able to track voting habits by neighborhood, but I have never checked that before choosing where to live.

Strangely enough, we always have lived among other like thinking people, politically. It must be that a certain political bent tends to also look for similar surroundings.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
It is a sad state when people can't have opposing views. It comes to the point that you are eventually owned by politicians. In the words of Malcolm X, when this happens you're nothing more than a "political chump."

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'll try to explain a little more how I came to feel how I do. For some conservatives not being pc is a point of pride. I mentioned that my kids attended school in a different and more conservative neighborhood from where we live. Sometimes my daughter invited a friend over our house and I heard back "I'm not allowed because you live in the ghetto". This wasn't an isolated response and it was straight from the parents. It's just one example. I spent a lot of time with parents, and while no one looked me in the eye and said something like that to my face, there were a lot of little cuts - little remarks that I associate with a more closed-minded attitude than I want to live around. And maybe I shouldn't associate these things with political affiliation but I think there is a correlation.

Then for me, the election of DT compounded everything. I find him so offensive on so many levels. Even if only 50 percent of the neighborhood voted for Trump, that's like half the neighborhood supports or tolerates something that I find intolerable. I don't want to live around that.

Elnrgby is another case. I think your ideology is extremely important to you, and it stresses "civility" right? But you get a lot of feedback indicating that for a lot of people, being referred to as a "civilized" minority or poor person is offensive. But to make a simple change like that in your speech would be so pc--everyone else should adjust "their" reactions to suit you. And again, this is just one simple f*** word. I don't think that word is the whole issue --- like you change that word and the neighborhood is suddenly a great fit for you. I do think that ideology is part of the problem though.
Yes.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
I'll try to explain a little more how I came to feel how I do. For some conservatives not being pc is a point of pride. I mentioned that my kids attended school in a different and more conservative neighborhood from where we live. Sometimes my daughter invited a friend over our house and I heard back "I'm not allowed because you live in the ghetto". This wasn't an isolated response and it was straight from the parents. It's just one example. I spent a lot of time with parents, and while no one looked me in the eye and said something like that to my face, there were a lot of little cuts - little remarks that I associate with a more closed-minded attitude than I want to live around. And maybe I shouldn't associate these things with political affiliation but I think there is a correlation.

Then for me, the election of DT compounded everything. I find him so offensive on so many levels. Even if only 50 percent of the neighborhood voted for Trump, that's like half the neighborhood supports or tolerates something that I find intolerable. I don't want to live around that.

Elnrgby is another case. I think your ideology is extremely important to you, and it stresses "civility" right? But you get a lot of feedback indicating that for a lot of people, being referred to as a "civilized" minority or poor person is offensive. But to make a simple change like that in your speech would be so pc--everyone else should adjust "their" reactions to suit you. And again, this is just one simple f*** word. I don't think that word is the whole issue --- like you change that word and the neighborhood is suddenly a great fit for you. I do think that ideology is part of the problem though.
You can be disgusted if you want, but people are tired of being told how they should act and how they have to be PC about EVERYTHING. It's annoying. Everybody finds EVERYTHING offensive these days because they can't stop looking for things. Oh those models are too skinny. That's offensive. Where does it end?

I grew up with kids of all colors and creeds, and you know what? We made jokes about our backgrounds that today I suppose would be "racist" but we grew up with thick skin. These PC people sicken me because they're hypocrites. The same people that cry about racism often times are just as racist. They just try to do it on the DL... The side eye, the sucking of the teeth or the look of shock displays how they REALLY feel versus what they try to portray or they made off cuff comments behind closed doors at home. Racism won't go away because people become PC. It just becomes more hidden, and quite frankly that is just as dangerous as people that are outspoken, but the yuppies, and hipsters moving here would like you to think otherwise. They too are racists just the same.

Regarding the parents that said that you live in the ghetto, well quite frankly I happen to agree with them. I guess you hate my guts too... Listen... Everyone has different standards, and if your kids are going to some fancy private school, just about all of the Bronx is going to be viewed as a ghetto by the parents because quite frankly, most of it is. It may not be the days of the borough burning, but crime is still a big problem overall along with other quality of life issues. Aside from that, you can't be that foolish to think that parents sending their kids to private school aren't trying to keep up with the Joneses and keep up appearances. Going off of that alone, most parts of the Bronx would be ghetto, except maybe Riverdale and some parts along the water like Country Club or parts of Throggs Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes but you are in the minority.
That doesn't mean that conservatives don't live in such neighborhoods. Look at Staten Island. Most areas are upper middle class.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You can be disgusted if you want, but people are tired of being told how they should act and how they have to be PC about EVERYTHING. It's annoying. Everybody finds EVERYTHING offensive these days because they can't stop looking for things. Oh those models are too skinny. That's offensive. Where does it end?

I grew up with kids of all colors and creeds, and you know what? We made jokes about our backgrounds that today I suppose would be "racist" but we grew up with thick skin. These PC people sicken me because they're hypocrites. The same people that cry about racism often times are just as racist. They just try to do it on the DL... The side eye, the sucking of the teeth or the look of shock displays how they REALLY feel versus what they try to portray or they made off cuff comments behind closed doors at home. Racism won't go away because people become PC. It just becomes more hidden, and quite frankly that is just as dangerous as people that are outspoken, but the yuppies, and hipsters moving here would like you to think otherwise. They too are racists just the same.

Regarding the parents that said that you live in the ghetto, well quite frankly I happen to agree with them. I guess you hate my guts too... Listen... Everyone has different standards, and if your kids are going to some fancy private school, just about all of the Bronx is going to be viewed as a ghetto by the parents because quite frankly, most of it is. It may not be the days of the borough burning, but crime is still a big problem overall along with other quality of life issues. Aside from that, you can't be that foolish to think that parents sending their kids to private school aren't trying to keep up with the Joneses and keep up appearances. Going off of that alone, most parts of the Bronx would be ghetto, except maybe Riverdale and some parts along the water like Country Club or parts of Throggs Neck.

That doesn't mean that conservatives don't live in such neighborhoods. Look at Staten Island. Most areas are upper middle class.
Staten Island is very middle class; there are also some upper middle class and working-class and poor neighborhoods. It's an anomaly in NYC in that it tends to vote Republican/conservative.

(Almost) everywhere else, conservatives are in the minority, in all income groups.
Some exceptions are among Russian-Americans and Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, who - though not universally - tend to vote Republican/conservative.

As for PC: I am someone who also finds PC ridiculous and stifling.
I believe instead we should be trying to get along with each other; that's the goal.
If I have offended someone by my speech or actions, and they tell me, I will sincerely apologize and try to learn why, and try to avoid hurting that person or others in the future. We are not perfect, but we can try to be kind.

That's why I find it offensive that the previous poster used the term "civilized minorities" and "civilized" over and over again even though several of us told her that we find that term hurtful and offensive.
What is wrong with someone that they don't stop saying something, and in fact repeat it over and over again, if people tell them it is hurtful?

That's not about PC, it's just common decency and courtesy.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

I don't hate your guts, but I may not want you as a neighbor

I'm particularly sensitive to the word ghetto. I've heard it used as a replacement of n****r. BTW none of what I'm talking about is in the context of joking around. Whether you think it's valid or not--I don't care. I'm explaining why I feel the way I do.

I didn't use the word "racist" either. I don't think there's some line in the sand and on one side you are racist and on the other you aren't. There are lots of different kinds of biases and I don't claim to not have any myself. Plus, I'm not claiming that other liberals may not be thinking the same thing, but I prefer it to be more on the DL.

I don't want to debate my neighborhood, but it's a great place to live. If you are scared coming here then you need to grow some b*lls.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoshanarose View Post
staten island is very middle class; there are also some upper middle class and working-class and poor neighborhoods. It's an anomaly in nyc in that it tends to vote republican/conservative.

(almost) everywhere else, conservatives are in the minority, in all income groups.
Some exceptions are among russian-americans and orthodox jewish neighborhoods, who - though not universally - tend to vote republican/conservative.

As for pc: I am someone who also finds pc ridiculous and stifling.
I believe instead we should be trying to get along with each other; that's the goal.
If i have offended someone by my speech or actions, and they tell me, i will sincerely apologize and try to learn why, and try to avoid hurting that person or others in the future. We are not perfect, but we can try to be kind.

That's why i find it offensive that the previous poster used the term "civilized minorities" and "civilized" over and over again even though several of us told her that we find that term hurtful and offensive.
What is wrong with someone that they don't stop saying something, and in fact repeat it over and over again, if people tell them it is hurtful?

That's not about pc, it's just common decency and courtesy.
+ 1! (anyway I would if the site would let me...)

Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I don't hate your guts, but I may not want you as a neighbor

I'm particularly sensitive to the word ghetto. I've heard it used as a replacement of n****r. BTW none of what I'm talking about is in the context of joking around. Whether you think it's valid or not--I don't care. I'm explaining why I feel the way I do.

I didn't use the word "racist" either. I don't think there's some line in the sand and on one side you are racist and on the other you aren't. There are lots of different kinds of biases and I don't claim to not have any myself. Plus, I'm not claiming that other liberals may not be thinking the same thing, but I prefer it to be more on the DL.

I don't want to debate my neighborhood, but it's a great place to live. If you are scared coming here then you need to grow some b*lls.
I've been all over the Bronx, and no I'm not scared, but that doesn't mean it isn't a ghetto to someone living in Scarsdale. I just hope that you understand that your standards aren't the same as others.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Staten Island is very middle class; there are also some upper middle class and working-class and poor neighborhoods. It's an anomaly in NYC in that it tends to vote Republican/conservative.

(Almost) everywhere else, conservatives are in the minority, in all income groups.
Some exceptions are among Russian-Americans and Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, who - though not universally - tend to vote Republican/conservative.

As for PC: I am someone who also finds PC ridiculous and stifling.
If I have offended someone by my speech or actions, and they tell me, I will sincerely apologize and try to learn why, and try to avoid hurting that person or others in the future. We are not perfect, but we can try to be kind.

That's why I find it offensive that the previous poster used the term "civilized minorities" and "civilized" over and over again even though several of us told her that we find that term hurtful and offensive.

That's not about PC, it's just common decency and courtesy.
You tried to imply that areas with more money tend to be more liberal, as if conservatives don't have money and aren't educated. That's what I'm disagreeing with. Staten Island is the RICHEST borough (even richer than Manhattan) going off of the median income. You seem to be implying that conservative people aren't educated (and thus stupid) and are poor because as one earns more money they tend to be more liberal. I don't agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City