Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 03:19 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
most of her voters live in projects anyway, and have no need for commuter rail service. it is such a shame that this idiot is elected to represent such a great city
Nope, pretty inaccurate statement. The majority of her constituents might be working class, but many of them are immigrants who either cannot or generally do not vote and most of them do NOT live in the projects. Meanwhile, she also had a large amount of support from college-educated people who identify with the DSA who were very passionate and also mostly are in the middle class and above. A lot of them are kinda pissed about the healthcare situation and the cost of higher education in this country. My goodness, gens, you really are on a roll today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nope, pretty inaccurate statement. The majority of her constituents might be working class, but many of them are immigrants who either cannot or generally do not vote and most of them do NOT live in the projects. Meanwhile, she also had a large amount of support from college-educated people who identify with the DSA who were very passionate and also mostly are in the middle class and above. A lot of them are kinda pissed about the healthcare situation and the cost of higher education in this country. My goodness, gens, you really are on a roll today!
This is true. During the primaries. The voter turn out was the low. I remember someone positing data showed that a great deal of her votes came from Astoria Queens. Most of the voters were college educated liberals who want their college tuition waved.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:49 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
According to USA today. Newark lacks creative talent pool. Also Newark population lacks 4 year college degree which is lower than the National average. I think Newark would have been a good pick. As for crystal city Virginia. I visit there two years ago. The area is very yuppie and full of transplants from all over America. Apartments there are decently priced. The airport is down the street, and the city has three subway stops with the DC metro. The area also is very suburban too. I remember a spot that had a nice topless bar.
I highly doubt that all the hires from Amazon will be from Queens but from all over NYC, LI, NJ, CT, etc.

Amazon could have completely gentrified Newark and gentrified the western areas of Jersey City.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times
but why would Amazon do that? people are more willing to come to LIC than Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I highly doubt that all the hires from Amazon will be from Queens but from all over NYC, LI, NJ, CT, etc.

Amazon could have completely gentrified Newark and gentrified the western areas of Jersey City.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
but why would Amazon do that? people are more willing to come to LIC than Newark
Why would Amazon build a 2nd HQ in the 1st place?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
She has never heard of "Penn Station Access plan" to begin with.

There are already local hiring provisions in the MOU. Including jobs and Amazon sponsored resume workshop for the residents of Queensbridge houses.
I don't know if you've ever visited Amazon HQ in Seattle, but they have a lot of janitorial, security, cafeteria, barbershop, dry cleaning, retail, and low level administrative jobs like greeters/front desk for low education level people.
She has heard of the plan.

Yes, there is that in the MOU—I hope she aims for a higher target number and the provision for local training/internships more importantly. I have been in the Amazon HQ. Will also say that a lot of these major HQs contract out to other companies for many such jobs you’ve listed. Jobs are jobs though and it’s important that there is reliable and speedy access to such.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:02 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Access to a skilled labor pool with experience in different domains. In Seattle, they were siphoning tech talent from Microsoft. In NYC, they can dip into a much more versatile labor pool. You not only have a lot of tech talent, but you have finance, marketing, media, etc.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 11-13-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

They've pretty much drained the talent pool/expanded or whatever all they can in Seattle and California. For all that success Amazon is being dogged by SJW/liberal democrat politicians and others in both those states about "inequality" and so forth on many levels, social, income.....

It also makes sense from a business point of view not to put all one's eggs into one basket.

Spreading things around allows Amazon (or any other large corporation) to get local politicians to line up and kiss the ring. Just look how many governors and other local politicians were getting on their knees to Jeff Bezos in hopes of wooing Amazon to their area.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Early numbers are out, NYC taxpayers by early estimates would be on the hook for about $50k per each Amazon employee.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/48k-per-amazon-hq-job

Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Early numbers are out, NYC taxpayers by early estimates would be on the hook for about $50k per each Amazon employee.

NY taxpayers to pay $48,000 per Amazon HQ job - Story | WNYW
How long does it take for employees to pay enough taxes to cover that $48k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City