Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 24,836 times

Advertisements

my list number is 4335 hope I get called this year

Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 PM

72 posts, read 126,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki30 View Post
I get my info from dcas who work upstairs from me...i could care less if the list extends because my friend is making the April class lol just figure I share common knowledge. And as for the budget I get the info from my job being that I deal with agency budgets everyday.
What number is your friend that you know he’ll be in April class. You know how many heldovers there are ?

Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM

264 posts, read 504,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki30 View Post
The list may be expiring March 2020 but it will most likely be extended. Once applications begin for new exam it can take 4-6 months to put the exam out and then a year for appeals of the exam. Therefore the list will most likely be extended to 2021. I work for the city and have taken exams. You will not hear about an extension until probably January 2020 because the city announces things last minute. Also, due to the excessive amount of people who took the exam and who are qualified the list will most likely be extended otherwise the exam will look like a money grab and cause issues.
Also I wouldn’t stress the hiring freeze as there is currently a partial freeze for certain agencies for administrative and management. If there was a second government shutdown then I’d be concerned but there wasn’t.

-Someone who works in accounting for the city and checks the forum for a family member.

All that info was unnecessary lol basically the list wont expire until a new list is established. No need to worry until they schedule a date for a new exam, that's when the clock begins for this one to expire.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 AM

324 posts, read 530,063 times
Guys everyone do yourself a favor. Dsny is a good job but if you have other options please consider. My girlfriend broke up with me , i have no free time, I get bounced like crazy get the worst of worst assignments and got stuck in a horrible area in a disgusting garage. All I do is sleep when I dont work. Can't go out with friends because I do not know what time I have work the next day and have fear I'll get papped. I'm broke can't afford rent , but yeah I won the lotto? I know it will get better eventually but this is real life for your first 2 -3 years. Go to school do something meaningful in life . Yes money is good after top pay but I'd wish I'd have gone to school.to be a paramedic, doctor , nurse etc becuaz this job is meaningless a monkey could do it. Break your back for 20 yrs but get a 40k a yr pension. Which included hip and knee replacements. Take tissue spot or become a supervisor asap, dont chase the truck.
All honesty , it is a good job but people only take it for benefits. If you can get on fdny or NYPD do that instead, sorry to be so negative just venting, and being real

Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM

205 posts, read 336,737 times
Just being real, if you don’t like the job then quit. Nobody is stuck so just move on. Nobody cares that your girlfriend broke up with you, this is a sanitation forum. You aren’t stuck at a garage for 3 years, you can transfer in the summer. Pension after 20 years is great. Sorry to be harsh but my dad and uncles are retired dsny workers and they turned out just fine.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 AM

37 posts, read 57,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
Guys everyone do yourself a favor. Dsny is a good job but if you have other options please consider. My girlfriend broke up with me , i have no free time, I get bounced like crazy get the worst of worst assignments and got stuck in a horrible area in a disgusting garage. All I do is sleep when I dont work. Can't go out with friends because I do not know what time I have work the next day and have fear I'll get papped. I'm broke can't afford rent , but yeah I won the lotto? I know it will get better eventually but this is real life for your first 2 -3 years. Go to school do something meaningful in life . Yes money is good after top pay but I'd wish I'd have gone to school.to be a paramedic, doctor , nurse etc becuaz this job is meaningless a monkey could do it. Break your back for 20 yrs but get a 40k a yr pension. Which included hip and knee replacements. Take tissue spot or become a supervisor asap, dont chase the truck.
All honesty , it is a good job but people only take it for benefits. If you can get on fdny or NYPD do that instead, sorry to be so negative just venting, and being real
Posts like this make me think of passing on the job again haha

Old 02-27-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Galo View Post
You have to do what’s best for yourself. This guy could go to school at nights and study during down time on the job. He can become a supervisor after 2 years in the job. Yes it’s true getting a degree is important but I have one myself and I’m still taking the job. If it’s not what I like, then I’ll leave and find something else. His wrong decision of taking this job will be many others right decision.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM

152 posts, read 255,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Galo View Post
Unless you get called for FDNY, take this job. Yea the bouncing around sucks and the assignments suck sometimes, the job is still the best in the city. It gets better in time. I was bottom guy for a year and transferred. Now im making 6-2 everyday and truck. I even get to pick certain routes and I have better vacation picks too.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 AM

152 posts, read 255,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
Lol, being a rookie cop is 1000x worse than this job. Man up brah

Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish12 View Post
Unless you get called for FDNY, take this job. Yea the bouncing around sucks and the assignments suck sometimes, the job is still the best in the city. It gets better in time. I was bottom guy for a year and transferred. Now im making 6-2 everyday and truck. I even get to pick certain routes and I have better vacation picks too.
Why do you think FDNY is better than DSNY? Just curious since I’m in both processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City