Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 05:50 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How are you denying "far too many over the past year alone" if you hardly ever have any vacancies? Wouldn't the denials only come if you are trying to qualify someone for a unit, and why would you be trying to qualify someone for a unit if it's not vacant?

How many vacancies is "hardly ever"? And how many denials is "far too many"?
I've actually seen those Section 8 people contact anyone with a pulse looking for an apartment. They post on message boards of real estate websites, try to contact management companies if they can... Anything. They already know that Section 8 people have a Scarlet Letter. The only landlords that want to deal with them is those who don't care about their apartment being destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
First annual South Bronx Open Studios tour, May 19. https://www.dontcallitsobro.com/ You know what they say about the artists moving in. Except, well, I think the artists have already been there for a while. Maybe it's just the first time they got organized enough to have a tour.

What do you think of them naming their website "Don't call it SoBro"?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
First annual South Bronx Open Studios tour, May 19. https://www.dontcallitsobro.com/ You know what they say about the artists moving in. Except, well, I think the artists have already been there for a while. Maybe it's just the first time they got organized enough to have a tour.

What do you think of them naming their website "Don't call it SoBro"?
Nobody in real life would call it SoBro, I think. Or hope at least.

I wonder if some of the anti-gentrifiers are going to protest it being referred to as "Mott Haven".

Old 05-13-2018, 07:08 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How exactly does Section 8 work? They actually give them $1515 a month??!? And what about them actually working? I don't understand how or why they get that much in free rent?? Just about all of us in my building pay market rate rent, but I think there's one guy who gets some sort of voucher and it infuriates me that he appears to be very capable of working but seems to sit at home ALL DAY.

What you stated was exactly why I wanted to be in a building with high rents to keep those people out. I don't want to live with them. They DON'T work and don't give a damn about their neighbors. When you have working professionals in the building you don't have that riff raff. The building stays nice and quiet and clean. $1500 was the floor less than a year ago, and now it's around $1650 for a studio as the floor up to about $2100-2300 for a one bedroom. I want to live around people that earn well like myself, so I look forward to the rents going up in my building. We had a lot of trouble with the guy when he first moved in, but someone left a very nasty note on his door that seems to have sent him the message. Can't have those types of people moving in. They destroy the building and ruin the neighborhood. Thus someone that takes a one bedroom would need $84,000 - 92,000 to get in.
The $1515 per month I mentioned is not Sec 8 exactly. It is for other NYC housing programs. Like CityFeps. Or FHEPS. Depends on size of family how much they allow. The programs have working & non-working contributions. Everyone is different. Many really know how to work the system in their favor. Fraud is rampant & we have been fighting it for decades. But so much worse now than ever before.

Don't blame you! No one wants to pay full market rent. Then have to see & live with tenants that are playing the system. Or like you say Riff Raff! By the way Section 8 vouchers are being issued in NYC now for the first time in 2 years. Got the memo about a week ago. https://www.amny.com/real-estate/sec...ion-1.18468788

And they plan to increase the tenant contribution from 30% of their income to 35% of their income. Been 30% I believe forever. https://www.6sqft.com/nearly-900-sec...ncome-on-rent/

Old 05-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
How are you denying "far too many over the past year alone" if you hardly ever have any vacancies? Wouldn't the denials only come if you are trying to qualify someone for a unit, and why would you be trying to qualify someone for a unit if it's not vacant?

How many vacancies is "hardly ever"? And how many denials is "far too many"?
Of course we have had vacancies from time to time. These are large buildings. And for each vacancy we usually get 100 or more applicants if that apt takes the program they are on within less than an hour. And for the last year we have to deny at least 99% of the applicants. High rate of denial isn't it? Hardly have any vacancies when you compare it to how many apts in total my family has.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The $1515 per month I mentioned is not Sec 8 exactly. It is for other NYC housing programs. Like CityFeps. Or FHEPS. Depends on size of family how much they allow. The programs have working & non-working contributions. Everyone is different. Many really know how to work the system in their favor. Fraud is rampant & we have been fighting it for decades. But so much worse now than ever before.

Don't blame you! No one wants to pay full market rent. Then have to see & live with tenants that are playing the system. Or like you say Riff Raff! By the way Section 8 vouchers are being issued in NYC now for the first time in 2 years. Got the memo about a week ago. https://www.amny.com/real-estate/sec...ion-1.18468788

And they plan to increase the tenant contribution from 30% of their income to 35% of their income. Been 30% I believe forever. https://www.6sqft.com/nearly-900-sec...ncome-on-rent/
Long overdue!! There's an apartment above mine that appears to be sitting. Previous tenant was paying $1650 net in rent (official rent was $1799 with a month free last year). Now they want $1750, which is still likely too high since it's still basically a studio, but with a bit more space. I pay $1600 and my place is just slightly smaller than the one above me, both renovated though. That one and there's another one (one bedroom) sitting that will eventually go for $2100 - 2300.

It would be great if this guy on the program goes, they renovate the apartment and list at market rate, which they may do once his lease is up early next year. He basically emptied out several buildings of tenants that didn't want to pay the new rents, made the floor $1500 back around 2016/beginning of 2017 and then started gutting apartments and getting brand new people. Only a few people stayed that could afford the new rents.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 PM

766 posts, read 507,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post

Section 8 vouchers are useless, most landlords would rather have an empty unit then deal with the city.

Most people with section 8 vouchers have multiple children as well. A single person such as a vet would likely have better luck, I would rent to a vet with section 8 since they are usually older with some kind of guaranteed income through SSI or SSD plus the section 8 voucher.

But other than that I would never rent to section 8 tenants again, the city makes it unbearable to work with them. Plus nobody wants a growing family in a small 2 bedrooms apartment with limited options of where to go who can barely pay $700 a month. They never want to leave but can’t afford the yearly rent increases.

Then to spending thousands on our ridiculous housing court system, not worth it

Old 05-14-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Section 8 vouchers are useless, most landlords would rather have an empty unit then deal with the city.

Most people with section 8 vouchers have multiple children as well. A single person such as a vet would likely have better luck, I would rent to a vet with section 8 since they are usually older with some kind of guaranteed income through SSI or SSD plus the section 8 voucher.

But other than that I would never rent to section 8 tenants again, the city makes it unbearable to work with them. Plus nobody wants a growing family in a small 2 bedrooms apartment with limited options of where to go who can barely pay $700 a month. They never want to leave but can’t afford the yearly rent increases.

Then to spending thousands on our ridiculous housing court system, not worth it
Tell me about it! My family that has those buildings in the Bronx finally succeeded in evicting 4 Section 8 tenants about 6 weeks ago. And yep they tend to have many kids & keep growing family. Then hope to get a larger apt.

NYC Section 8 program is bad. In some areas of the country Section 8 is actually pretty good & even preferred by some landlords They do not support the landlords at all in the NYC market. No more giving people on Sec 8 a chance anymore. Although we did approve one for one of the apts about a week ago. But we vetted the guy carefully & screened extensively. He is a Vet & is bringing his Service Animal & we did verify that is real also. You can never screen potential tenants too much. Especially in NYC & even NYS.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM

329 posts, read 204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
2 million get you Mansion in North Carolina
Couples make $2million a year in NYC.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
The young people who are gentrifying NYC and obsess with the the city Gen Z is upcoming one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqdm6aBUZII&app=desktop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City