Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not another one of your anti-Italian American rampages again. Puerto Ricans too are pretty far removed from Puerto Rico at this point. Where I live there are plenty of anti-immigrant PRs. Not to long ago a Black dude on the train told me to go back to my country. Your point?
I know some Puerto Ricans have similar sentiment, however from my experience, Puerto Ricans are way less likely to

And there is a lot more recent migration to the states from Puerto Rico than there has been from Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, some Italian Americans have added "immigrant' to their vast list of people they don't like (along with blacks, gays, etc....); but that is not always universal. At least with the men no small number creep around with "minority" women (or men); and again they feel no such "pro English" compulsion when they speak what can be often loosely called Italian. I say "loosely" because many of them are four, five or more generations removed from being off the boat and their grasp of what they believe is Italian, Sicily or whatever is shall we say rather generous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcp8rN-YqLw

That being said there are still parts of NYC where people speak Italian; not as much as before, but never the less.

Italian-Americans also seem to conveniently forget there was a time when they were considered "immigrants" and actively discriminated against. Especially those from the south of Italy.

Being a fan of The Sopranos, I found that pretty funny.

I don't mean to generalize all Italian-Americans as being bigots, but just wanted to point out that anti-immigrant sentiment is not limited to WASPs. There are plenty of Irish-American and Italian-American xenophobes out there. I don't even think the WASP population in the NYC metro is particularly notable, I rarely even meet true Anglo-Saxon protestants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I worked for a major hospital in the Bronx.

When anyone comes to the ER, they are not asked for ID. They are asked for Name, Address, etc. We were not allowed to ask for ID at all.

Juan Mexico would come into the ER, give a False name and address at the registration desk and get full medical care. No questions asked, no ID given. Bill would go to the address given and would never get paid. Hospital eats the cost and is passed on to everyone else.

Now before you go calling everyone racist, perhaps people have actual experience that they can backup their claims with. Ever think of that?

Now as far as other posters are asking about how illegals can get "Benefits", NYC made it easy with the NYC ID. If that doesn't work, it is very easy to get fake SS Cards and Fake Drivers Licenses for a few bucks. It's not rocket science.

If you think that illegals getting on benefits in this country is impossible, you are ill informed and getting your facts from bad sources.

P.S. I am a Hispanic male living in the south Bronx. I've lived here since birth. My neighbors are illegals, I live this life daily. I see whats going on. Many of you just saying that everyone is RACIST because you disagree with them or don't like their facts is very childish.

Perhaps you are on the OUTSIDE (White Male/Female who has never lived a day in the ghetto) looking in and trying to tell people like me what the "facts" are while I know what the TRUTH is. See the difference?

Fix your sources of information, they seem to be broken.
I think illegal immigrants should be allowed to simply pay into the insurance pool

Old 05-17-2018, 10:26 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know some Puerto Ricans have similar sentiment, however from my experience, Puerto Ricans are way less likely to

And there is a lot more recent migration to the states from Puerto Rico than there has been from Italy.

Being a fan of The Sopranos, I found that pretty funny.

I don't mean to generalize all Italian-Americans as being bigots, but just wanted to point out that anti-immigrant sentiment is not limited to WASPs. There are plenty of Irish-American and Italian-American xenophobes out there. I don't even think the WASP population in the NYC metro is particularly notable, I rarely even meet true Anglo-Saxon protestants.

I think illegal immigrants should be allowed to simply pay into the insurance pool

While not what it once was, the WASP pool in NYC, particularly Manhattan is still around. Mostly however confined to their usual haunts of UES, UWS, Sutton Place, Beekman Place, etc...

Check out J.G. Mellon on Third... Walked up Park then Madison from 70's through 94th last Tuesday evening to meet friends for drinks/dinner. If you know what to look for, yes the WASPS were out and about. *LOL*

Old 05-18-2018, 04:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

You only think this way because you are racist yourself. You are obsessed with racism. It is like you want there to be racism. What's up? Picked on often out there on Long Island by the Italian kids?

Most Puerto Ricans have been here long enough to have dropped the conquistador's language. No reason to hold on to it. I know plenty of NY born Puerto Ricans than hold on to an accent that is actually fake.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:20 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times
Quote:
This mania about people "speaking English" seems to only come from those of such descent (WASPS) and perhaps few others. Meanwhile other European immigrant groups both recent and first, second or whatever generation often slip into their native languages with out causing scandal or outrage.

Italians, Sicilians, Napoletano, Greeks, French or whatever can be heard all over the city speaking in their native languages. This and or when they want to use word or phrases they are either comfortable with and or want to ensure the other person understands....

There are several French families on my block and the parents insist their children speak to them in that language. Yes, the kids learn English at school and are perfectly bi-lingual; but the parents wish to preserve that link. Grew up with Italian/Sicilian kids back in the day who had same treatment.

Unless someone is directly addressing *you*, there is no mandate for them to speak English. Americans crack me up with that nonsense. They travel all over the world and not only get pissed off when say a Metro worker does not speak English, but refuse to learn even a slight bit of any foreign language in order to make themselves understood.
No one has personally confronted me about not speaking English in public, and I've never seen it happen to anyone. The great thing is that most New Yorkers don't care and are not hostile to hearing foreign tongues.

I'm close to three French-speaking co-workers and I regularly speak two of them in French about non-work stuff but always in the privacy of their office or cubicle. I personally think it would be rude to be having a public conversation with them in French around co-workers.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/17/us/...ant/index.html

Looks like this is a pattern with this weirdo.

“I’m Jewish. I’ve been to Israel twice.” LOLz!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist...-office-space/

He was kicked out of his office space and he may lose his license to practice law!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
This mania about people "speaking English" seems to only come from those of such descent (WASPS) and perhaps few others. Meanwhile other European immigrant groups both recent and first, second or whatever generation often slip into their native languages with out causing scandal or outrage.

Italians, Sicilians, Napoletano, Greeks, French or whatever can be heard all over the city speaking in their native languages. This and or when they want to use word or phrases they are either comfortable with and or want to ensure the other person understands....

There are several French families on my block and the parents insist their children speak to them in that language. Yes, the kids learn English at school and are perfectly bi-lingual; but the parents wish to preserve that link. Grew up with Italian/Sicilian kids back in the day who had same treatment.

Unless someone is directly addressing *you*, there is no mandate for them to speak English. Americans crack me up with that nonsense. They travel all over the world and not only get pissed off when say a Metro worker does not speak English, but refuse to learn even a slight bit of any foreign language in order to make themselves understood.
I’m living in Barcelona. I speak Spanish, a little Chinese, a little Russian and am learning Hebrew.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist...-office-space/

He was kicked out of his office space and he may lose his license to practice law!
In today's America one has to be careful. Cellphones are all over the place. I too have recorded an incident and it became viral for years, thanks to YouTube new liberal SJW policies such video was removed. However videos of racial, bigoted and sexist incidents will remain supreme on platforms like YouTube and Facebook who share liberal SJW San Francisco narrative. Again nothing wrong with that, but just the nature of the beast

With that said. One has to be careful of what they do and say in public, but also those that record, take screenshots should also be careful of what they do to such person. We don't know if that person has a husband or wife plus a family at home. We don't know if such person is truly a racist, or a sexist or a homophobe. You just cant paint brush one person with one video of an incident because he or she used "words". Generally such retorts are mainly used for people who used action, and not "words". Also people found out where this guy works, live and so forth. This is part of doxing is also wrong. He is being assaulted online, people knows where he works and live. A good chance he may loose his bar license, he already lost his office space, and he will continue to loose more. Again this is all wrong. People loose their livelihood, and those who are involved with political correctness and identity politics will make sure that those who use words in an unfashionable matter will not get an apartment again, never get a job again, or never enroll in college again. This is happening now and is creating homelessness which liberal left and conservatives used to champion against, but as of recently both liberals and conservatives abandoned the class war in favor of race, politics, sexism because resources can be received by victims.

What the man said was wrong, but he also spoke the truth. Speak the truth and those that work in publishing, media, social media, academia, entertainment will make sure that those who say things out of line will have their livelihoods up ended. In such fields, they primarily hire women who are feminist, black women, and Jews. All of which faced historical victimization. Work in fields such as legal justice, medical real estate which all deals with the public, ones reputation will be ruined WIth that said, I hope this man learned his lesson, lets ask him to forgive, but at the same time lets not shame him. Shaming someone is never good. Instead the left wants person who said wrong to say sorry, and still shame him or her.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-18-2018 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In today's America one has to be careful. Cellphones are all over the place. I too have recorded an incident and it became viral for years, thanks to YouTube new liberal SJW policies such video was removed. However videos of racial, bigoted and sexist incidents will remain supreme on platforms like YouTube and Facebook who share liberal SJW San Francisco narrative. Again nothing wrong with that, but just the nature of the beast

With that said. One has to be careful of what they do and say in public, but also those that record, take screenshots should also be careful of what they do to such person. We don't know if that person has a husband or wife plus a family at home. We don't know if such person is truly a racist, or a sexist or a homophobe. You just cant paint brush one person with one video of an incident because he or she used "words". Generally such retorts are mainly used for people who used action, and not "words". Also people found out where this guy works, live and so forth. This is part of doxing is also wrong. He is being assaulted online, people knows where he works and live. A good chance he may loose his bar license, he already lost his office space, and he will continue to loose more. Again this is all wrong. People loose their livelihood, and those who are involved with political correctness and identity politics will make sure that those who use words in an unfashionable matter will not get an apartment again, never get a job again, or never enroll in college again. This is happening now and is creating homelessness which liberal left and conservatives used to champion against, but as of recently both liberals and conservatives abandoned the class war in favor of race, politics, sexism because resources can be received by victims.

What the man said was wrong, but he also spoke the truth. Speak the truth and those that work in publishing, media, social media, academia, entertainment will make sure that those who say things out of line will have their livelihoods up ended. In such fields, they primarily hire women who are feminist, black women, and Jews. All of which faced historical victimization. Work in fields such as legal justice, medical real estate which all deals with the public, ones reputation will be ruined WIth that said, I hope this man learned his lesson, lets ask him to forgive, but at the same time lets not shame him. Shaming someone is never good. Instead the left wants person who said wrong to say sorry, and still shame him or her.
This man did not speak the truth. He had no right to attack those women for speaking Spanish. Yes, if he has a wife and kids sadly the lives of multiple people are destroyed. I think the problem is dehumanization. Just as he did not see Latinos as human, social justice warriors dehumanized him and had no concern that they completely destroyed a man’s life.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:42 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Has nothing to do with immigrants. There are enclaves all over the city, usually not consisting of immigrants.

I can name a bajillion enclaves in Brooklyn alone, where people "cling to ethnic background, live among your own, and don't try and speak English and assimilate" and barely any are immigrants. Ironically these same people love Trump. You need me to name these areas?

And I'm not the one "acting dumb".
They "cling" to their ethnic background with American flags outside of their houses. I see it all over Dyker Heights and Bay Ridge. As I said, there is nothing wrong with maintaining your roots. I sure as hell do it. I've lived primarily in New York City, but have spent time living in the motherland as well, but I am American. I speak Italian, but I also speak English. We live in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City