Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,146,114 times

Advertisements

Immigration without assimilation is not immigration; it’s an invasion

Old 05-17-2018, 07:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Where are immigrants not "assimilating"? Specifics please.

Immigrants have higher workforce participation, higher economic mobility and lower crime rates than the native-born. Their kids dominate the best NYC schools.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Keep in mind this topic was about one obviously mentally unstable person. The issue is interesting and can be nuanced, but I'm having a hard time seeing how what this guy did seemed rational or good in any particular way. Perhaps he should assimilate into being less of a wanker who goes off on people like that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Keep in mind this topic was about one obviously mentally unstable person. The issue is interesting and can be nuanced, but I'm having a hard time seeing how what this guy did seemed rational or good in any particular way. Perhaps he should assimilate into being less of a wanker who goes off on people like that.
I happen to agree with his overall point. He just went about it the wrong way. I don't care what country you're in, you should ASSILIMATE and speak the language of that country otherwise if you want to cling to your language and culture why bother coming? And before anybody attacks me, I speak several languages and am in tune with my roots but I LIVE in America and without this country I wouldn't be where I am today. These immigrants that come here, a lot of them don't seem to realize that. They just come here to use the system and send money back to their country. Be proud of where you're from but as I said, you're in America. You should be able to speak English and be accustomed to the norms here.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I'm very surprised that a Jew would be so racist against any type of immigrant, considering that these people are despised themselves
You would think but more often than not, they're the first to look down on someone else (not talking about Jewish people per se). Just saying some minorities who've been on the receiving end of racism turn around and are racist towards a different minority group spewing the same kind of hatred. Some even say disparaging things against their own ethnicity! Self loathing at play. No one wants to be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Where are immigrants not "assimilating"? Specifics please.

Immigrants have higher workforce participation, higher economic mobility and lower crime rates than the native-born. Their kids dominate the best NYC schools.
Don't act dumb. It's all over the city. If you've been here for years and you just cling to your ethnic background, live among your own and don't try to speak English and assimilate, why bother coming here?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You don't even need to forge documents, having a US citizen child (anchor baby) entitles you to benefits to assist in raising that child. Showing up at the emergency room will gain you free medical care. Illegals in places like NY and CA and other liberal hellholes also get benefits like in-state tuition for state universities, and some places are pushing to allow them to run for public office.
Don't forget a friggin drivers license too.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Perhaps he should assimilate into being less of a wanker who goes off on people like that.
lol! Now, that's the best quote I've seen in awhile. Laughter is the best medicine. Merci!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I happen to agree with his overall point. He just went about it the wrong way. I don't care what country you're in, you should ASSILIMATE and speak the language of that country otherwise if you want to cling to your language and culture why bother coming? And before anybody attacks me, I speak several languages and am in tune with my roots but I LIVE in America and without this country I wouldn't be where I am today. These immigrants that come here, a lot of them don't seem to realize that. They just come here to use the system and send money back to their country. Be proud of where you're from but as I said, you're in America. You should be able to speak English and be accustomed to the norms here.
His point is misguided though--these were either co-workers talking to each other who both spoke Spanish or a customer who engaged in Spanish with the worker.

I understand annoyance in the instance where I have a cab driver who barely speaks English or I go into a restaurant and nothing can be explained to me and there is no English language menu. This isn't that--this wasn't directed at him as far as anyone can tell. He's butting in on something that's none of his business. Same thing with that other vid of trying to push in someone walking on the street. It's not the racism here that bothers me or xenophobia so much as it is that this guy is a jerk. If someone's butting in like that on me with that much aggro (xenophobia or racism or what not) when it's none of his business, I'm inclined to uppercut some nuts.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It is kinda rude to talk another language around people who dont know it though

But you also really can't control it

Homeboy flipped his wig tho

Now he'll just face the consequences of flipping ur wig in public, thats all
Depends on the circumstances. Obviously, if you're dealing with customers, clients or co-workers, you should tread carefully and exercise discretion. If I'm having a private conversation with someone, then I care zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City