Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I cannot find the link where I read this. The restaurant workers were from Puerto Rico. The customer speaking to them placed her order in Spanish first. She was of Puerto Rican descent and born in NYC. All of them were US Citizens by birth, so all talk about ICE, deportation, is absurd.

My daughter's MIL is of Puerto Rican descent, born in NYC, and is bi-lingual. When we all go to our favorite Cuban restaurant in Queens, she immediately starts talking to the waiters in Spanish. She isn't allowed to do this now? Same thing a friend of ours does when we go to a Chinese restaurant. Cannot do that? English ONLY?

Does this jerk cover his ears when walking around the City? He doesn't hear a whole lot of foreign languages spoken, or is it ONLY Spanish he objects to?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Reported you for personal attacks. Please try to stay classy, sir.
Who did you report?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Sorry, I cannot find the link where I read this. The restaurant workers were from Puerto Rico. The customer speaking to them placed her order in Spanish first. She was of Puerto Rican descent and born in NYC. All of them were US Citizens by birth, so all talk about ICE, deportation, is absurd.

My daughter's MIL is of Puerto Rican descent, born in NYC, and is bi-lingual. When we all go to our favorite Cuban restaurant in Queens, she immediately starts talking to the waiters in Spanish. She isn't allowed to do this now? Same thing a friend of ours does when we go to a Chinese restaurant. Cannot do that? English ONLY?

Does this jerk cover his ears when walking around the City? He doesn't hear a whole lot of foreign languages spoken, or is it ONLY Spanish he objects to?
Maybr this guy is for deporting all the Spanish speakers out of Puerto Rico?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,976 times
This clown is now getting what he deserves at least.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
His law firm's Yelp page is on FUEGO!!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-law-off...t_by=date_desc

Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
His law firm's Yelp page is on FUEGO!!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-law-off...t_by=date_desc
Dammit, was gonna write something up, but don't wanna waste my time due to "Active Cleanup."

Y'all better get it while it's hot!
Attached Thumbnails
Racist Lawyer Who Insulted Spanish Speakers Now Blasted Online-alert.png  

Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
I can somewhat agree with him. There is a deli near by office in which the guys who make the food/sandwiches/salads etc are from Mexico or Central America. The stuff they say in Spanish about some of the clientele is crazy and rude. I no longer go there since i don't condone or agree with that type of behavior.

Unlike this dude, i realize that some people can't be reason with so there is no point in trying. If the employer allows that behavior then there is very little that you can do besides not spending your $$ there.

At the end of the day, you should try to speak the dominant language of the country. In the USA, it is English.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:20 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,630 times
Quote:
I can somewhat agree with him. There is a deli near by office in which the guys who make the food/sandwiches/salads etc are from Mexico or Central America. The stuff they say in Spanish about some of the clientele is crazy and rude. I no longer go there since i don't condone or agree with that type of behavior.

Unlike this dude, i realize that some people can't be reason with so there is no point in trying. If the employer allows that behavior then there is very little that you can do besides not spending your $$ there.

At the end of the day, you should try to speak the dominant language of the country. In the USA, it is English.

This is a case of "the way you say it" versus what you say.

The way he said what he said was totally unacceptable, especially so from a man of his "caliber." There's a million other ways he could have handled this situation, but he literally chose one of the worst ways possible... in a world where people are watching your every move, or at the very least, two seconds away from recording your every move.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:

I agree that he went about it the wrong way. In my office, what I do is I speak in Italian with a colleague of mine from Italy when it's just the two of us or he doesn't understand me in English and I need to clarify to ensure that he understands, then I'll switch to Italian, this way no one thinks that we're talking about them or demeaning them. I've overheard plenty of conversations in Spanish where people switched purposely to talk about people or "talk around them". In fact we had a few Latinas in our office that would do this when they were annoyed with another co-worker. They'd speak and use the "third person form" but based on what they were saying, I knew who they were talking about, and it's rude. I've been in CVS where the cashier was Dominican and she'd make a snide remark in Spanish about me and say "¡Oh, tenemos plata!! (Oh, we have money!!) and then proceed to pretend to want to assist me or look to see what I was buying and I basically told her I didn't need her help and back to f- off. I would act dumb and pretend I didn't understand, but I like to play dumb and then explode on people when they least expect it.

I've also been in places where I went to order and the person couldn't communicate in English, and though I speak Spanish, I refused to switch. It's one thing when I'm in a place and I switch to Spanish with the waiters because of the environment and another when I'm not in such a place and the person simply can't communicate in English.

What people don't realize is language is more than just another language, and sometimes people use it to connect culturally or to exclude people.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
If this man went into a Jewish restaurant where folks spoke Hebrew, Yiddish and Russian and said what he said. Splc, ADL, NY civil liberties commission will be on him, they will strip him from his bar association and his livelihood will be ruined.

Or if he went into a black business and tell the blacks stop speaking ebonics, apologetic white liberals and pro blacks will be up in arms.

Any this story won't gain much traction unless something is said against blacks, jews, or native Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City