Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They "cling" to their ethnic background with American flags outside of their houses. I see it all over Dyker Heights and Bay Ridge. As I said, there is nothing wrong with maintaining your roots. I sure as hell do it. I've lived primarily in New York City, but have spent time living in the motherland as well, but I am American. I speak Italian, but I also speak English. We live in America...
All Americans are not the same, don't have the same experiences and you cannot force "America" on people. Nor should you want to.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I happen to agree with his overall point. He just went about it the wrong way. I don't care what country you're in, you should ASSILIMATE and speak the language of that country otherwise if you want to cling to your language and culture why bother coming? And before anybody attacks me, I speak several languages and am in tune with my roots but I LIVE in America and without this country I wouldn't be where I am today. These immigrants that come here, a lot of them don't seem to realize that. They just come here to use the system and send money back to their country. Be proud of where you're from but as I said, you're in America. You should be able to speak English and be accustomed to the norms here.
How do you know those women didn't speak English? How does he not know? Perhaps they just prefer to speak Spanish with members of their own group. That is perfectly fine to do so.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Who knew you could be racist against a language. Against the devil's language at best. No Puerto Rican in the US should be holding onto their conquerors culture.
Puerto Ricans are not native Tainos, and they are not indigenous to the Americans. Most of them are mixed race between white, black, and native. Puerto Ricans are part Spanish, and Spanish language and other aspects of Spanish culture are very much a part of Puerto Rican culture (which of course has African, Native, and American influences).

Also in a world in which educated people are supposed to learn foreign languages (which they often suck it) it's amazing that people get attacked for speaking their native languages.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please address subjects you know something about: Help With Something Else - Coalition For The Homeless

Undocumented persons cannot received *FEDERAL* housing assistance, but that does not preclude state or local governments (nor does it for NYS/NYC) from offering same.

In case you've missed it; by constitution and case law New York State *MUST* provide care for the poor and that has been extended by courts to mean housing is a *RIGHT*. You can come here from Paris, France of Paris, Texas and at once apply for housing assistance.
Prove that the city or state welfare agencies will give people from other countries housing if they just move here and show it.

Any American can move to any American state and apply for welfare benefits in the new state because the federal courts have ruled Americans have the right to travel and the right to move to whatever state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson

And what do you mean by housing assistance? It's not easy for ANYONE to get housing assistance ,and applicants generally have to live in shelters for awhile before they can get their cases approved for housing assistance.

We've seen people on City Data who lived in the shelter system who were unable to get housing (WildCardSteve) among others.

So please tell me how people who just moved to this country are able to do what long term New Yorkers like wildcardsteve apparently could not.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM

I think there's a lack of empathy on both sides.

There is absolutely no reason to attack strangers for speaking another language to each other. No justification at all. Don't dump your political garbage out on other people.

With that said, his lack of empathy attracted people who also lacked empathy, and as a result this man's life was destroyed. He may lose his license to practice law.

I think the lesson here is to focus on your personal happiness and stop with the BS, whether it is Trump, Sanders, Stein, or whoever.

This man should have focused on having a wife (if he isn't married already) and family and on his life in general.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Prove that the city or state welfare agencies will give people from other countries housing if they just move here and show it.

Any American can move to any American state and apply for welfare benefits in the new state because the federal courts have ruled Americans have the right to travel and the right to move to whatever state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson

And what do you mean by housing assistance? It's not easy for ANYONE to get housing assistance ,and applicants generally have to live in shelters for awhile before they can get their cases approved for housing assistance.

We've seen people on City Data who lived in the shelter system who were unable to get housing (WildCardSteve) among others.

So please tell me how people who just moved to this country are able to do what long term New Yorkers like wildcardsteve apparently could not.
It's called knowing how to work the system. Seems like those Ivy League schools you constantly brag about being educated in didn't do such a good job.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
It's called knowing how to work the system. Seems like those Ivy League schools you constantly brag about being educated in didn't do such a good job.
Again prove this takes place.

You and some other posters here are just making baseless claims. But it's obvious people will lie like rugs in order to push their political agenda. I'm accusing some of you of being LIARS.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:49 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Again prove this takes place.

You and some other posters here are just making baseless claims. But it's obvious people will lie like rugs in order to push their political agenda. I'm accusing some of you of being LIARS.
No matter what is said and what you're shown it won't be good enough, so sure we're all liars, says the one in denial in fantasy land. Oh I forgot you're in Barcelona.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No matter what is said and what you're shown it won't be good enough, so sure we're all liars, says the one in denial in fantasy land. Oh I forgot you're in Barcelona.
No, a legitimate link from a legitimate source would be more than enough. I'm perfectly capable of saying you're right Pierrepont if you actually can PROVE this happens.

Facts are indisputable.

However, you're not interested in facts. You're pushing a political agenda, so you push only claims that support that agenda and show no real interest in the truth or any other information that does not support that agenda.

Of course I would say it was wrong and horrible if most of the people getting public benefits in NYC where undocumented. I seriously doubt the majority of them are. The vast majority of people collecting welfare benefits on NYC are AMERICANS.

There's no shortage of Americans in housing projects, or in other forms of subsidized housing. We see Americans, in English, posting on this forum asking each other for advice on how to get into whatever program.

Is it possible to find people who have committed fraud? I'm sure it is. There's a difference between finding a case of one undocumented alien who has somehow falsified documents/done identity theft and saying that most people on welfare in NYC are illegals.

Many immigrants, legal or illegal are afraid to get on welfare as they fear it hurts their chances of getting citizenship.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 AM

Now back to the original topic, this man did not know these women, and has no knowledge of whether they are on welfare or not. Whatever other people do, or who is or isn't on welfare has nothing to do with them and again this man had no right to do what he did.

This man laid his problems/**** on these women and in doing so he hurt himself badly. If you can't stand to here other people having a private conversation in another language, YOU are the ONE who has the problems you need to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City