Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:01 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
putting aside his divisive comments and questionable ethics, it just doesn't seem logical to put so much time and effort into changing the most successful schools in the city. Why not focus your efforts on the middle schools that are (not) feeding the elite high schools?
Or how about expanding the program that actually works? Since NYC population has grown, adding 2 extra specialized schools wouldn't hurt. Providing free SHSAT prep in middle schools also wouldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
This guy is trying to racially-engineer our schools to fit the leftist mindset that all white people are racist and all minorities need propping up. Hopefully he's either gone soon or at least doesn't make his way down here where my kids are attending a currently best-case scenario NYC public school that so far is not pushing the propaganda.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-20-2019, 10:50 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
The next thing you know is, black education matters...sh1t....

Old 06-20-2019, 11:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
There are many wealthy Asians that don't have any education, they became wealthy due to family inheritance, stock market, real estates, and simply doing business. They came here and have children and they are sending them to private schools and find ways to pay their way for their kids to obtain education.

It's the poor immigrant Asians that are trying to break into top HS in NYC as it is their only way without a lot of money.

That's why you'll still find lots of Asians in elite colleges because I believe a lot of rich Asians are buying admissions into Ivy Leagues and other top colleges. Even though recently the college admissions scandal broke out. Who knows how many got through in the past without getting caught.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are many wealthy Asians that don't have any education, they became wealthy due to family inheritance, stock market, real estates, and simply doing business. They came here and have children and they are sending them to private schools and find ways to pay their way for their kids to obtain education.

It's the poor immigrant Asians that are trying to break into top HS in NYC as it is their only way without a lot of money.

That's why you'll still find lots of Asians in elite colleges because I believe a lot of rich Asians are buying admissions into Ivy Leagues and other top colleges. Even though recently the college admissions scandal broke out. Who knows how many got through in the past without getting caught.
Really? I don't think it's that easy, and Asians are not the only wealthy people around. I would be surprised if most Asians actually buy their way for admission. They could overpay tutors and do crazy stuff but buying like the scandal that broke out? I think it's very limited. But I do admit I have no numbers to support anything.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This guy is trying to racially-engineer our schools to fit the leftist mindset that all white people are racist and all minorities need propping up. Hopefully he's either gone soon or at least doesn't make his way down here where my kids are attending a currently best-case scenario NYC public school that so far is not pushing the propaganda.
Being blatantly racist is only the beginning of Diversity and Inclusion programs.
There is also the whole gender bias (only hiring females then complaining females dont get hire),
age bias (only hiring Millennial's then complaining they don't hire any Millennials),
sex bias (only hiring gays then complaining they only hiring straight men),
bias against Asians (only hiring Asians who think they were marginalized).
It just goes on and on.
Here is the future of the oppressed class of workers:
An example of "diversity and inclusion", Huffington Post employees.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM

317 posts, read 311,364 times
Relying on a single academic test score is wrong. Especially when looking at a pool of potentially extraordinary candidates. If you have 1000 people taking the admission test with 900 of them scoring 100% and the remaining 100 scoring between 90% and 99%, accepting only those who scored 100% would be very myopic as the difference in ability, talent, character, etc. between those who scored 100% and those who scored between 90% and 99% can be huge, and academic strength differences minuscule. The best way to get the best people is to create a minimum academic barrier of entry, let's say a test score of 90%, and then chose based on other qualities from the pool of those who scored above that minimum.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Really? I don't think it's that easy, and Asians are not the only wealthy people around. I would be surprised if most Asians actually buy their way for admission. They could overpay tutors and do crazy stuff but buying like the scandal that broke out? I think it's very limited. But I do admit I have no numbers to support anything.
When I attended a university in Boston that won't name. there were many rich Asian kids that aren't even close to the academic requirements for admissions. Many of them partied, smoked weed, drove fancy cars, and most never got their diploma. They usually lasts only 2 years and left a ton of unpaid Bills behind and go back to their country or another school. I had a friend who is roommates to a guy who speaks very little English. So how the f* did he get into the school without English. All the Japanese exchange students can understand English and they are very educated. But these Chinese kids come here without much proven education are able to get into the school. Another guy who is a junior told me they get in if their parents make a big donation to the school which is essentially a bribe.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Bribes are nothing new to school admissions.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Or how about expanding the program that actually works? Since NYC population has grown, adding 2 extra specialized schools wouldn't hurt. Providing free SHSAT prep in middle schools also wouldn't hurt.
Three specialized high schools were created in 2002 and another made in 2006. There have also been numerous high schools in around that time period or later that are specialized in a sense, but not part of the same program, such as Columbia Secondary School, Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, Baccalaureate School for Global Education, the High School for Dual Language and Asian Studies, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, Scholars' Academy and others which don't admit based on just (or possibly at all) the SHSAT and in many respects, some of these schools rank better than or as well as the specialized high schools. Even if not at the top level of schools, there are schools opened in that time period like Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics which is completely unscreened admissions, located in one of the poorest parts of the entire city, and the vast majority of its student body comes from a socioeconomically disadvantaged household and yet achieves very good results. So there are obviously multiple pathways that can work, so why concentrate so much energy on just one of the pathways and a working one at that?

It makes sense to either reform current high schools or create new ones with different criteria which then play to different strengths. SHSATs are not the end all, be all of public high schools in NYC these days and it seems like such a bad use of resources to spend this much time trying to reform a part of a system that generally works rather than exploring how to expand all the other options there are to create better schools or to improve middle schools as a better bridge.

I'd say the best thing to do is to talk about this new criteria that's being asked of specialized high schools and then explore that with new or reformed other schools using that new criteria to see how well those perform rather than break a successful component of the public school system. Roll out at least a few of these new schools (either by transforming existing ones or making ones from scratch) with the new criteria being asked and try to give it the resources to succeed while monitoring student performance and actively trying to improve those results. This kind of a/b testing seems to me the most reasonable thing to do.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-20-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City