Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

If Asians smarten up and realize democrats are *not* their friends, it could put a quick end to this here nonsense. Long as they behave like some other usual demographics democrats will take their votes for granted and remain in power.

Notice that Liu guy now in Albany isn't helping their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If Asians smarten up and realize democrats are *not* their friends, it could put a quick end to this here nonsense. Long as they behave like some other usual demographics democrats will take their votes for granted and remain in power.

Notice that Liu guy now in Albany isn't helping their cause.
Nah, no party is anyone's friend. Vote on the people and the issues and be pragmatic about it which means participating early and in primaries. Thanks for your advice though--I'll relay this incredible knowledge you have to the rest of the Asians in hopes we can smarten up to be as smart as you

Also, what's got you down on Liu?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-20-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM

317 posts, read 312,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
you do realize you contradicted yourself by saying don't base it on test scores, but then you threw in an arbitrary value of 90% + "other qualities", right?
so you just screwed over the guy that got 89% and had excellent "qualities".

and what are these qualities? who is determining them, and judging them? sounds very subjective and ripe for bias.
I see no contradiction in what I'm saying. I don't think you completely understood my point. People who score over 90% (just throwing a number out there as I don't know exactly what number should be used as the minimum barrier of entry in this particular case) are already in the far tail of the distribution, meaning they're already very capable of achieving extraordinary results and there's not a whole lot of difference between them, from academic achievement standpoint. These people are already academically talented, but they can be vastly different in other qualities. So, once a tail of academically talented students is identified, you need to use other factors, e.g. character, race, socioeconomic background, etc. to create a more balanced student body. Taking only the highest scoring students will never create that balance.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 984,181 times
So you are a racist, because you think being from a certain race makes one person more qualified than being from another race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I see no contradiction in what I'm saying. I don't think you completely understood my point. People who score over 90% (just throwing a number out there as I don't know exactly what number should be used as the minimum barrier of entry in this particular case) are already in the far tail of the distribution, meaning they're already very capable of achieving extraordinary results and there's not a whole lot of difference between them, from academic achievement standpoint. These people are already academically talented, but they can be vastly different in other qualities. So, once a tail of academically talented students is identified, you need to use other factors, e.g. character, race, socioeconomic background, etc. to create a more balanced student body. Taking only the highest scoring students will never create that balance.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
So you are a racist, because you think being from a certain race makes one person more qualified than being from another race?
Huh?

Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 AM

You said race is one of the qualities used in admission decisions

Quote:
Huh?

Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You said race is one of the qualities used in admission decisions
I am of opinion that race should be a factor in admission, for equally or similarly qualified students. I don't see how that makes me a racist. You might want to look up the definition of racist.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM

because you think one race is superior than another race.
it is the same as you hire someone because of their race. Is it racist?

A lot of racists don't believe they are actually racists

Quote:
I am of opinion that race should be a factor in admission, for equally or similarly qualified students. I don't see how that makes me a racist. You might want to look up the definition of racist.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
because you think one race is superior than another race.
it is the same as you hire someone because of their race. Is it racist?

A lot of racists don't believe they are actually racists
You're an idiot. I never said one race is superior to another.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 AM

because you are a racist. you said race should be used in admission decisions. why to your racist mind, discrimation against white or asians are justified. what a racist and hypocrit

Quote:
You're an idiot. I never said one race is superior to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City