Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times

Advertisements

I’d like to see posters on the subway notifying riders not to give money to beggars or “musicians” or showtime guys, etc. but instead offer information about how to call the city to be referred to services. We see posters about everything else like not running on platforms and not manspreading so why not about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Kid was a scammer. Which doesn't mean he wasn't in need, but if you're going to give to those folks, accept that it's very likely that you're funding their habit so they don't have to steal to do so. They're not going to want info, though they might take a candy bar.

Some people are in a place where harm reduction is all you can hope for at that moment.

(Now, those guys who pretend to be outreach workers, those guys are just *******s. Wouldn't mind seeing those guys arrested every single day.)
So where do they get the food from? Those sandwiches always looked suspect.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
You are a kind person. Maybe you should be that guy.

Tell that young man(or the next person you encounter that needs help) to call 211 from a local phone. He can ask the volunteer who answers 24/7 for where to start to look for assistance....The volunteers are trained to help the caller by identifying who,what, where to send them, he simply has to say what he needs/wants help with. They will then provide him (or anyone) with a list of agencies, and the addresses/phone numbers in the callers area. It is a national program....anyone can call from their home location. I have offered this information many times on city data.
What 211 is....
What is 211? | Helpline Center

211 houaing and utilities help....
Housing + Utilities | 2-1-1.org

211 online
2-1-1.org

Last edited by JanND; 08-30-2018 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I’d like to see posters on the subway notifying riders not to give money to beggars or “musicians” or showtime guys, etc. but instead offer information about how to call the city to be referred to services. We see posters about everything else like not running on platforms and not manspreading so why not about this?
That's a good idea and they did have ADs like this on the train but its kind of seasonal such as the one where they show the statue of liberty shivering and the AD was saying to donate old or used coats for the homeless and I would take an AD giving information for services any day over the period panties and boob job ADs any day!!

The issue is that someone has to pay for that advertising space to provide that information to the beggars and I don't think the agency that provides that service can fund those kinds of ads even if discounted..

Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
That's a good idea and they did have ADs like this on the train but its kind of seasonal such as the one where they show the statue of liberty shivering and the AD was saying to donate old or used coats for the homeless and I would take an AD giving information for services any day over the period panties and boob job ADs any day!!

The issue is that someone has to pay for that advertising space to provide that information to the beggars and I don't think the agency that provides that service can fund those kinds of ads even if discounted..
I noticed the seasonal ones are not switched over in a timely manner. There was one that showed a phone number to call if you saw a homeless person sleeping in the subway in cold temps in the winter. That ad was still up well into the spring when the temps were already in the 80s.

But...I just found this, which is essentially what I was suggesting. So I guess sometimes they do place these kinds of ads. I've just never seen one in person.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What ever happened to the guys that would give out free food (sandwiches and fruit). I always thought THAT was a scam. lol
Agreed. If they were *really* doing it to be helpful they wouldn't be looking for any *donations.*
When I decide to help others I am not looking for anything in return.

What I'm gonna assume is they weren't making *enough* money to keep up with the charade and stopped. Used to see them all the times some years ago, and now that you mention it, I have not seen them around for years.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please.

City spends *billions* each year on homeless including a vast outreach network. In case you've missed them there are outreach workers driving or otherwise getting around the city distributing information, food, etc...

All anyone has to do is go onto internet, call 311, or even walk into a local NYPD precinct (if not up to an officer), and ask for assistance. They will point in proper direction.

Took the 1 train earlier and some brother was reciting a sad tale of woe and misery that only slightly shorter in length than Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
They should call 211 instead of 311. I think most people haven't even heard of 211, so that's an issue of sorts. Let them know next time?

Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They should call 211 instead of 311. I think most people haven't even heard of 211, so that's an issue of sorts. Let them know next time?
Guilty here!!! I have never heard of 211 and ive been here for over 20 years. 311, 411, 511, and 911 are the only numbers I knew

Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 AM

174 posts, read 187,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa... don't lump Showtime in with these dudes.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
The way how I look at it is if you are homeless, then you should seek out help from Department of Homeless Services. I never get why people ask for money in subway, if you are just hungry, then you should be able to go to the shelter and get some food, or the city harvest get some food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: