Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

I was wistfully wondering during a subway ride.

There was a young guy who sounded nice enough, saying that he had been living with his grandmother and going to school, but she died, and then his life apparently imploded and was politely asking for any money. Yes, I'm sure there are some people here who will automatically assume that he was a scammer. But there are in fact a lot of desperate people, some of whom are perfectly sane. I wished I had an information card to hand him, saying, Okay, kid, first set yourself up with a free counselor...

It would be nicer if there were people who could occasionally hand out useful information which would be better than spare change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 PM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It would be nicer if there were people who could occasionally hand out useful information which would be better than spare change.
You should start it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2018, 04:43 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Anyone out there in that situation should not be on the subway begging for change. they have so many government services that can help. Job Corp is one of them if they are under 24. They get a free bed, food, education, and job placement as long as they behave themselves.

I have family members that went through that program where they lived on site and came out a nurse, and an electrician making good money.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 08-29-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
What ever happened to the guys that would give out free food (sandwiches and fruit). I always thought THAT was a scam. lol

Old 08-29-2018, 04:49 PM

37,159 posts, read 39,441,390 times
I’ve seen someone hand out contact information for help a couple of times, so I guess there’s something.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You should start it
I did do something once - not on the subway, but with a guy I would see occasionally on the sidewalk, very disfigured, begging for money for medical care/surgery. I carried around information about a free clinic until I finally saw him again, and gave it to him. I figured that he probably wouldn't follow up, but at least I gave him the information.

But that was because I was already aware of the clinic. And social workers would be aware of resources for people begging on subways.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:50 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was wistfully wondering during a subway ride.

There was a young guy who sounded nice enough, saying that he had been living with his grandmother and going to school, but she died, and then his life apparently imploded and was politely asking for any money. Yes, I'm sure there are some people here who will automatically assume that he was a scammer. But there are in fact a lot of desperate people, some of whom are perfectly sane. I wished I had an information card to hand him, saying, Okay, kid, first set yourself up with a free counselor...

Please.

City spends *billions* each year on homeless including a vast outreach network. In case you've missed them there are outreach workers driving or otherwise getting around the city distributing information, food, etc...

All anyone has to do is go onto internet, call 311, or even walk into a local NYPD precinct (if not up to an officer), and ask for assistance. They will point in proper direction.

Took the 1 train earlier and some brother was reciting a sad tale of woe and misery that only slightly shorter in length than Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:46 PM

283 posts, read 234,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please.

City spends *billions* each year on homeless including a vast outreach network. In case you've missed them there are outreach workers driving or otherwise getting around the city distributing information, food, etc...

All anyone has to do is go onto internet, call 311, or even walk into a local NYPD precinct (if not up to an officer), and ask for assistance. They will point in proper direction.

Took the 1 train earlier and some brother was reciting a sad tale of woe and misery that only slightly shorter in length than Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
The city offers every homeless person shelter. The problem is many of the homeless are mentally ill + don't want to live constrained by shelter rules

Also, many shelters are dangerous. Whether they are all dangerous or more dangerous than the streets, I have no idea.

Either way homeless people should not be allowed to sleep on the trains or camp out on the sidewalks. Isn't it insane that people living in weeks worth of their own shieeeet and pizz, who are clearly and severely mentally ill, are allowed to roam around with complete freedom? It's absolutely inhumane. These people should be in institutions getting medications and square meals

Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What ever happened to the guys that would give out free food (sandwiches and fruit). I always thought THAT was a scam. lol

Various groups and or those from city still do outreach for homeless that also gives away food.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,738,515 times
Kid was a scammer. Which doesn't mean he wasn't in need, but if you're going to give to those folks, accept that it's very likely that you're funding their habit so they don't have to steal to do so. They're not going to want info, though they might take a candy bar.

Some people are in a place where harm reduction is all you can hope for at that moment.

(Now, those guys who pretend to be outreach workers, those guys are just *******s. Wouldn't mind seeing those guys arrested every single day.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: