Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:16 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
They are called N-11 services. I didn't know some of what you mentioned existed so I looked the rest up.

211 - Community and human service support line to obtain NYC services
311 - Government service complaint (potholes, garbage pickup, noise complaints etc.)
411 - Directory assistance
511 - Commuter rail info, weather
611 - Customer service your telephone carrier
711- Facilitates phone calls between hard of hearing and non hard of hearing
811 - Information about underground utilities, cable, telephone and disruptions.
911 - Emergency services
I totally forgot about 611 even though its preprogrammed in every cellphone to contact the carrier. Its been years since I had call the phone company, I prefer using the chat option online this way I have a record of the conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 03:57 PM

804 posts, read 546,260 times
Many of these people are actors and you should ignore them. If homeless they receive $700 dollars per month with no work effort. Otherwise they are being paid by some entity. One guy wanted money for the bus and when offered a free ride he said "I am okay". Some of these people lives in groups. They all come out of buildings together and that is there job to walk bare-footed on the platform even if they have a phone on them.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:41 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Many of these people are actors and you should ignore them. If homeless they receive $700 dollars per month with no work effort. Otherwise they are being paid by some entity. One guy wanted money for the bus and when offered a free ride he said "I am okay". Some of these people lives in groups. They all come out of buildings together and that is there job to walk bare-footed on the platform even if they have a phone on them.

Exactly!

You SJW and others are getting played by bunch of egits who know not only how to work the system, but yourselves as well.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/this-n...-quality-food/

Old 09-01-2018, 06:34 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exactly!

You SJW and others are getting played by bunch of egits who know not only how to work the system, but yourselves as well.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/this-n...-quality-food/
Quote:
On a recent Sunday morning, a woman bought him an egg-salad sandwich. He sent her back inside to exchange it for tuna salad, and she complied without question.
LMFAO!!!!! Brazen!!! And she did it???

I would have said **** you and walked off with my damn egg salad sandwich! Baggers cant be choosers!!!

Old 09-01-2018, 06:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
If it looks smells feels spreads and tastes like peanut butter it probably is peanut butter
Yes and I ride the subway

Old 09-01-2018, 06:47 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
LMFAO!!!!! Brazen!!! And she did it???

I would have said **** you and walked off with my damn egg salad sandwich! Baggers cant be choosers!!!

I'll tell you something else; that guy in NY Post article is full of it!

Am almost certain he is the same AA guy have seen the past few weeks on UES going through garbage bags bins of local supermarkets (Associated/Morton Williams, DAG, etc.....), and he doesn't seem that picky about what is taken.

Say this because the clothing looks exactly the same right down to baseball cap which seems never to change.

How would this guy get to UES, assuming it is same person? Easy same way as other sketchy suspect persons are doing these days; on the Q/SAS which runs right into Brooklyn.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Technically, you're absolutely right. There are abundant government avenues.

But in the real world, I have to say that I am constantly stunned by the basic ignorance and helplessness of so many people.
Think Maslow's hierarchy.

When people are hungry they are reduced to survival mode.....it is hard to think and plan rationally when you are homeless, starving.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:36 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
The unfortunate worldly truth is that all people are not created equal.
Some are stronger,wealthier,possess higher IQ's and are better off than others.
The goal of higher consciousness for all people is to work together to provide fairness of opportunity to all the less fortunate.

Aside from babies, the elderly, and the sick, it is not my job to feed you but to provide you with the tools so you can feed yourself.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:58 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Asians in particular Chinese are all over the map on this issue.

Yes, some are genuinely homeless
Yet others especially many of the elderly Chinese you see digging for cans and other recyclables do have homes, and or are otherwise taken care of by their families.
Yeah. I'm always suspicious that they do have money but are just extremely frugal & don't care about appearances. A buck here, a buck there. Hey, why not. They see it as being "wise". They remind me of people who grew up during the Great Depression. They're extremely frugal as well.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

I know a friend of mine who offered bottled water to a homeless person and she looked her up and down and said, "You don't have Diet Coke?".

There's this homeless woman who stands on the street corner and yells, "One Dollar!" at the top of her lungs.
Someone gave her a quarter and she threw it back at him and screamed "I SAID one dollar!".

Jeesh.

I give nothing to the homeless but have given money to street musicians. Hey. Some are pretty good and by and large thankful for any contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: