Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:02 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah I just have to figure out how to get my Sports packages and NHL Network and I'm set. I may do a few subscriptions. Still will be cheaper than the $200+ I was paying a month for cable, and a smaller ConEd bill since I have no cable box. My girlfriend wants to cut the cord too. Always complaining about the FiOs bill. Same as me... Over 200 a month...
Sadly, there was no impact to my ConEd bill when I cut the cord. It's literally never lower than $75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 02:11 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Sadly, there was no impact to my ConEd bill when I cut the cord. It's literally never lower than $75.
Wow... I've had at least 5 months with bills under $50.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:49 PM

582 posts, read 763,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It sound like you love to cook.
If you are planning to stay a few years the gas stove is the way to go.
Electric stoves are far far more expensive than gas stoves as far as cost of usage.
I think the ratio is 2 to 1.
The cost of the gas stove purchase would be payed off in about 3 years.
compared to going with an electric stove top.
After that your savings will continue to grow.
Don't be surprised if you run only a 30 to 40 dollar amount bill for gas.
That's how little it costs. If purchasing used make sure the gas stove comes
with an electric pilot ( an electric chord attached to the stove ) not a gas pilot (no chord).
Ask if the landlord will install it for free or a small fee.
Good Luck.
I have to cook because eating out everyday will cost me a fortune.
yes, I am hoping to stay a few years.
The landlord doesn't want to install a gas stove. I asked him.
I am not even sure if there is a gas line in the apt. how do I find out?

Old 09-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
If it hot to the touch it will cost you money.

Touch the back of your tv set. Its warm. Very little money.
A fan. It's warm . Very little money.
A curling iron. Lots of money., Thank goodness it's not on 24/7
A toaster. Lots of money. Thank goodness its not on 24/7
The fridge is warm to hot and 24/ 7 .Costs money.
The cable box is hot to the touch. Big time money.

Want to cut your electric bill 33-50%. Give it a try for a month.
Turn your cable boxes off at night before you go to bed.
You'll thank me.
Thank you I don't watch TV and don't have a cable box. I bought a small digital TV that I am hoping to use with a TV antenna ( I hope it will work).

Old 09-07-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
My friend’s mom got her identity stolen and her credit was trashed so she had some extra hoops to jump through in order to get her cooking gas turned on. I watched this woman, with no working stove at all, cook nearly an entire Thanksgiving dinner for 12 people with nothing but a two burner hot plate and a toaster oven. And this was a Southern soul food style meal with 8 different sides (the turkey was fried outdoors) and 4 different desserts. All that to say that miracles can happen on a hot plate! You can make it work.

As a side bar, it’s very common in Los Angeles for apartments to not come with fridges for whatever random reason so you’re kind of a step ahead in that regard.
Thanks, Eevee! I was actually disappointed because the fridge was really small. Like a mini fridge.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You make a good point about the cable box. I actually totally forgot that I don’t have that anymore. I stream everything and it probably is another reason why my ConEd bill is lower. RadeonHD reminded me of a great idea... I can use my iPad and hook it up to my TV and watch cable that way instead of just streaming on my iPad. I started streaming about 4-5 months ago as a test and I like not having those damn wires all over my apartment. It looks much neater. My wires by my balcony, etc.
sorry. I am not sure I got this. so you pay for cable service and use your ipad to watch it on a TV screen?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:13 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
sorry. I am not sure I got this. so you pay for cable service and use your ipad to watch it on a TV screen?
You can stream TV online. There's Hulu, Sling, Youtube TV, Netflix and others. They offer packages that you stream on your laptop, desktop, or tablet, or phone via internet. If you want to stream them but still use your TV, you can simply buy the equipment for $40 - 50 so that you see the exact same thing on your TV. If your internet is good, it looks just like you're watching regular TV if not better. Last night I was streaming Shameless on Showtime and I was blown away at the picture quality. My iPad is on my Verizon Wireless line for an extra $20.00 a month on 4G. Well worth it. Most of these services allow you to try them out for free for up to a month. I'm trying out Sling now for 7 days. What's really nice about streaming is you can pay month to month. Some months I don't subscribe to my streaming service, and look for free trials. What I like also is no cords. DirecTV would come and run wires all over the place. It looks ugly and tacky and then you lose signal in rain storms or when it is snowing which is really annoying considering how expensive it is.

To compensate for the extra cost, I may just completely cancel my Spotify since it is free on my iPad. The only down side is these streaming services don't offer the same extensive options as cable does, but who has time to watch 200 channels anyway, most of which consists of old re-runs? Not worth $200+ a month, that's for sure.

Streaming has become much better. I used to stream NHL games years ago and it wasn't nearly as good. I had FiOs and only on FiOs did I have TV like quality when streaming. Now with 4G, it's just like watching TV, so you can do a mix of regular TV and streaming.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-07-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Guys, I do have another question. does the ground floor count as a floor? the building is RS. the certificate of occupancy shows a cellar, a basement and 4 floors. my apt is on the 5th fl because there is a ground floor.
I just want to make sure it is covered.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You can stream TV online. There's Hulu, Sling, Youtube TV, Netflix and others. They offer packages that you stream on your laptop, desktop, or tablet, or phone via internet. If you want to stream them but still use your TV, you can simply buy the equipment for $40 - 50 so that you see the exact same thing on your TV. If your internet is good, it looks just like you're watching regular TV if not better. Last night I was streaming Shameless on Showtime and I was blown away at the picture quality. My iPad is on my Verizon Wireless line for an extra $20.00 a month on 4G. Well worth it. Most of these services allow you to try them out for free for up to a month. I'm trying out Sling now for 7 days. What's really nice about streaming is you can pay month to month. Some months I don't subscribe to my streaming service, and look for free trials. What I like also is no cords. DirecTV would come and run wires all over the place. It looks ugly and tacky and then you lose signal in rain storms or when it is snowing which is really annoying considering how expensive it is.

To compensate for the extra cost, I may just completely cancel my Spotify since it is free on my iPad. The only down side is these streaming services don't offer the same extensive options as cable does, but who has time to watch 200 channels anyway, most of which consists of old re-runs? Not worth $200+ a month, that's for sure.

Streaming has become much better. I used to stream NHL games years ago and it wasn't nearly as good. I had FiOs and only on FiOs did I have TV like quality when streaming. Now with 4G, it's just like watching TV, so you can do a mix of regular TV and streaming.
thanks so much for the explanation! I plan on getting a good internet plan. Probably, I will go with Verizon. I know that you can stream and watch on your TV but it looks like you have an extra internet line on your Ipad. Like you can access internet on your ipad wherever you go, correct? I have an ipad but it doesn't have that feature, I have to connect the ipad to WIFI.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I don't use my stove much, I prefer to use my air fryer for roasting chicken, fish or veg, & the toaster oven too, plus a crock pot. do you really need a stove? a few counter top appliances might be Ok, if you are cooking for one. Stoves take up alot of room. Is there room in the kitchen for one? You can also buy a single burner to plug in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City