Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:37 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All you think about is money

It's a downgrade jad2k

Have you ever tried to get around Highbridge in the winter?

For somebody coming from Bushwick, that will be a big adjustment for starters

All you think about is money money money
WTH is with you lately? It’s like you’re on a weird warpath with opposing viewpoints. You were never this combative in years before.

I think about the question being asked and give a response based on context and any experience or insight I can offer.

This post was about the cost and condition of a single family home. So from the start, it was a money based post and the comment that it was priced better than “overpriced” homes elsewhere in the Bronx.

This poster is interesting buying a home in nyc (assumptions here based on what’s been said). He or she has indicated liking historical homes and accessibility to Manhattan. For most places in nyc, this criteria means a high price tag. This person posted a place that doesn’t have a high price tag- relatively speaking. Whether it’s an upgrade or a downgrade is subjective to that individual. This person wants to go from renting to buying and like most people, probably has a finite budget. So for him/her, going from renting (an apartment?) to buying a turn key historical home would be an upgrade.

It’s not about money so much as it’s about desire to achieve an objective. Which in this case seems to be ownership of type of home within nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
WTH is with you lately? It’s like you’re on a weird warpath with opposing viewpoints. You were never this combative in years before.

I think about the question being asked and give a response based on context and any experience or insight I can offer.

This post was about the cost and condition of a single family home. So from the start, it was a money based post and the comment that it was priced better than “overpriced” homes elsewhere in the Bronx.

This poster is interesting buying a home in nyc (assumptions here based on what’s been said). He or she has indicated liking historical homes and accessibility to Manhattan. For most places in nyc, this criteria means a high price tag. This person posted a place that doesn’t have a high price tag- relatively speaking. Whether it’s an upgrade or a downgrade is subjective to that individual. This person wants to go from renting to buying and like most people, probably has a finite budget. So for him/her, going from renting (an apartment?) to buying a turn key historical home would be an upgrade.

It’s not about money so much as it’s about desire to achieve an objective. Which in this case seems to be ownership of type of home within nyc.
Why not look at Staten Island then, if owning a home is the end to it all

Plenty of options when it comes to homeownership

But all you single people want to do is go drink after work and have short commutes to sleep the hangover off

I'm not fooled.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:

But all you single people want to do is go drink after work and have short commutes to sleep the hangover off

I'm not fooled.
Are you having a bad day or something? Seriously. Your posts of late are judgmental and ignore the fact that different people have different needs and are allowed to make choices based on what’s best for their situation and their preferences.

As many times as people reply trying to explain that, you jump on them. It’s almost like you are angry at people for their choices (which have no direct impact to you whatsoever).

Old 09-19-2018, 03:39 PM

497 posts, read 284,790 times
Quote:

I'm not fooled.
Because Staten Island doesn't meet my wants/needs? I thought you loved the West Bronx anyway

Quote:
Are you having a bad day or something? Seriously. Your posts of late are judgmental and ignore the fact that different people have different needs and are allowed to make choices based on what’s best for their situation and their preferences.

As many times as people reply trying to explain that, you jump on them. It’s almost like you are angry at people for their choices (which have no direct impact to you whatsoever).
Thank you.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:47 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Firetrap (Vinly over tarpaper shingles, likely with termites

Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM

555 posts, read 617,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
What renovations does it need?
did you even look at the photos?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 PM

497 posts, read 284,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
did you even look at the photos?
I'm not Martha Stewart, I don't care about it being "dated" looking or whatever

Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 PM

555 posts, read 617,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
I'm not Martha Stewart, I don't care about it being "dated" looking or whatever
most people are going to care how their half million dollar home looks, but even if you don;t, a house that looks like it hasn't been touched in 30-40 years is surely going to need a lot of work.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:

You're right

That Highbridge house is the greatest

BuildingLover, go buy it and report back

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
most people are going to care how their half million dollar home looks, but even if you don;t, a house that looks like it hasn't been touched in 30-40 years is surely going to need a lot of work.
It has a dated kitchen and bathrooms but its not THAT bad. It looks like it was renovated in the 90s with the stainless fridge added more recently since those became popular only a few years ago. But one can live in it as is and update those eventually.

Biggest question is are there any electrical, roofing, plumbing or other issues. That’s always the downside to houses with “historic charm”.

Actually, on second thought, new construction always has issues too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City