Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LMAO... You do have a good point. If Highbridge was as monied you would have better transportation and direct shuttle services like Riverdale has. Maybe they would even run a shuttle bus to that Yankees Metro-North station or 161st subway street. East and West Side access with the 4 and D, and that BxM4 express bus on the Concourse that runs along 5th and Madison. That’s the one reason it probably has remained off of the radar. It’s hilly and the transportation to reach it stinks. The subway is basically in a valley and you go uphill on both sides of Jerome. No thanks. When you’re poor in that area you take the subway. The express bus and that Metro-North is for the professional crowd.
Another reason why Highbridge sucks is shopping, I would make most of my buildings mixed-use.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Another reason why Highbridge sucks is shopping, I would make most of my buildings mixed-use.
I've always hated the idea of having to shop under an elevated subway line, and Jerome Avenue is just dark and kind of run down in parts. Even on the commercial strips though, the shopping options are pretty drab (auto shops galore esp. on Jerome). No coffee shops to speak of (and I'm sorry, but Dunkin Donuts doesn't count). You drink that stuff when you don't know any better. lol

Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
I've always hated the idea of having to shop under an elevated subway line, and Jerome Avenue is just dark and kind of run down in parts. Even on the commercial strips though, the shopping options are pretty drab (auto shops galore esp. on Jerome). No coffee shops to speak of (and I'm sorry, but Dunkin Donuts doesn't count). You drink that stuff when you don't know any better. lol
It’s still going to be fronting the elevated line, but the rezoning pretty much guarantees that the auto shops will be mostly if not completely gone within a decade.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM

497 posts, read 284,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yeah, why are the hills an advantage in Riverdale but a disadvantage in Highbridge? At least your houses won't flood!

It seems like a good price compared to what I see out there now.
They're just looking for reasons to knock it.

Btw I've been to the Wesr Bronx many times and the hills don't bother me.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:59 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post

In the snow?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-20-2018, 05:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
Quote:

Some people may genuinely have a problem with hilliness or maybe they have a physical problem or whatever, but pierrepont talked about Riverdale's hills as a good thing, so I can't believe it's genuinely a reason for him not to like the neighborhood.

I prefer hilly topography. I thought that was a cool thing about the neighborhood.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Some people may genuinely have a problem with hilliness or maybe they have a physical problem or whatever, but pierrepont talked about Riverdale's hills as a good thing, so I can't believe it's genuinely a reason for him not to like the neighborhood.

I prefer hilly topography. I thought that was a cool thing about the neighborhood.
For one Riverdale has natural beauty in the Hudson River and the Palisades, not to mention historical houses from the 1900s, with several historical landmarked areas and a nature preservancy group. Those views fetch a good price. Highbridge has the hills but I'm not sure it has the views, nor the history, given how many ugly cheap looking houses with that hideous siding exists. I hate that stuff with a passion. I like houses with BRICK. Sturdy construction that LASTS and is quality. That siding stuff is cheap and it says a lot about the neighborhood. Just look at some of the most beautiful areas of the Bronx... Morris Park, Pelham Gardens. BEAUTIFUL historical houses made with BRICK with character. That's why those areas are so charming. They look like planned areas. Houses set back from the street, etc

Heck even parts if Marble Hill have charming historical blocks with interesting historical beautiful houses.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
For one Riverdale has natural beauty in the Hudson River and the Palisades, not to mention historical houses from the 1900s, with several historical landmarked areas and a nature preservancy group. Those views fetch a good price. Highbridge has the hills but I'm not sure it has the views, nor the history, given how many ugly cheap looking houses with that hideous siding exists. I hate that stuff with a passion. I like houses with BRICK. Sturdy construction that LASTS and is quality. That siding stuff is cheap and it says a lot about the neighborhood. Just look at some of the most beautiful areas of the Bronx... Morris Park, Pelham Gardens. BEAUTIFUL historical houses made with BRICK with character. That's why those areas are so charming. They look like planned areas. Houses set back from the street, etc

Heck even parts if Marble Hill have charming historical blocks with interesting historical beautiful houses.
You don't like the hilliness in Highbridge because of vinyl siding? My post specifically addressed topography, but I'll respond to your post...

Vinyl siding can be changed. There are a lot of charming and historical frame houses in the city.

The Wooden House Project

This house is probably from the early 1900s too.

I like brick,, but I don't like a building because it's made of brick. Fedders are almost all brick construction and they're hideous. But if you like brick, there are plenty of 6 story brick apartment buildings in the area - in fact, they are the bulk of the buildings it seems.

Someone who is considering this house can't afford Fieldston, and most of Riverdale doesn't have any historic buildings anyway. Central Riverdale has a ton of buildings built in the 60s and 70s it seems to me.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM

497 posts, read 284,863 times
Quote:
You don't like the hilliness in Highbridge because of vinyl siding? My post specifically addressed topography, but I'll respond to your post...

Vinyl siding can be changed. There are a lot of charming and historical frame houses in the city.

The Wooden House Project

This house is probably from the early 1900s too.

I like brick,, but I don't like a building because it's made of brick. Fedders are almost all brick construction and they're hideous. But if you like brick, there are plenty of 6 story brick apartment buildings in the area - in fact, they are the bulk of the buildings it seems.

Someone who is considering this house can't afford Fieldston, and most of Riverdale doesn't have any historic buildings anyway. Central Riverdale has a ton of buildings built in the 60s and 70s it seems to me.
True. I don't even think vinyl looks that bad, compared to brick or stucco Fedders type stuff.

And vinyl is often covering brick/slab concrete (is that the right term?) rather than wood anyway, that's common where I live. Although that is not the case with this house.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
True. I don't even think vinyl looks that bad, compared to brick or stucco Fedders type stuff.

And vinyl is often covering brick/slab concrete (is that the right term?) rather than wood anyway, that's common where I live. Although that is not the case with this house.
Yeah, sometimes they cover up brick with some kind of siding - more in the past than now though. I think they're getting better looking vinyl now than 20 years ago too.

PS concrete slab is a type of foundation.

Last edited by yodel; 09-21-2018 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City