Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times

Advertisements

In the 60s and 70s in nyc some people found good apartments in mid town or down town when they checked the obituary in newspapers to see who died then wait a appropriate time then go for the apartments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:43 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
:d :d :d :d :d :d
"...and we all shine on...like the moon, the stars, and the sun..."

now, I can't get that song out of my mind.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 PM

31,924 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
In the 60s and 70s in nyc some people found good apartments in mid town or down town when they checked the obituary in newspapers to see who died then wait a appropriate time then go for the apartments!

True, but that trick doesn't work so well today.

If the deceased had a below market RS apartment, you'll be waiting a long time for it to come back on market. Surely as night follows day LL will gut renovate and do whatever else possible to get the rent up.

Also it can take weeks or even months before city will release an apartment (even after someone has died in same). If person died without a will and or any delays in probate mean legally nothing can be removed.

Posted this back at the time; but just for reminders: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/n...york-city.html

Old 10-08-2018, 02:36 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,472 times
I wonder how that works, like someone on here said millions of people have died in NYC and probably die all the time in apartments, but what makes a ghost/spirit stay around. I myself have had multiple ghost-spirit encounters. My first encounter I saw a ghost (old lady) would float around usually at night. No old lady actually lived with us, later as an adult when I told my mother as to who was that old lady (since I was only a toddler when I experienced this) she said no old lady lived with us but an old lady had died there and they also heard things at night but they never actually saw her. Later when I was ten I lived in a haunted apartment in Sunset Park, but the ghosts there were jokesters. They would turn on the bathroom faucets, TVs would randomly turn on usually around 2-3am, you would see shadows, the cat would start going buzirk around this time, there were random pugnit smells at times.
I wonder if only certain people can experience paranormal activity like some of us are some sort of gateways. I'm sure they also have to generate enough energy, maybe the ghost has to be in proximity or aligned to kinetic energy of some sort.... Anyways glad he was able to break the lease...

Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I wonder how that works, like someone on here said millions of people have died in NYC and probably die all the time in apartments, but what makes a ghost/spirit stay around. I myself have had multiple ghost-spirit encounters. My first encounter I saw a ghost (old lady) would float around usually at night. No old lady actually lived with us, later as an adult when I told my mother as to who was that old lady (since I was only a toddler when I experienced this) she said no old lady lived with us but an old lady had died there and they also heard things at night but they never actually saw her. Later when I was ten I lived in a haunted apartment in Sunset Park, but the ghosts there were jokesters. They would turn on the bathroom faucets, TVs would randomly turn on usually around 2-3am, you would see shadows, the cat would start going buzirk around this time, there were random pugnit smells at times.
I wonder if only certain people can experience paranormal activity like some of us are some sort of gateways. I'm sure they also have to generate enough energy, maybe the ghost has to be in proximity or aligned to kinetic energy of some sort.... Anyways glad he was able to break the lease...
Wow, thanks for sharing. I was told that they are "familiar spirits".

But since posting this for a friend, I've come across this interesting site:

https://www.spiritualresearchfoundat...search/ghosts/

Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM

31,924 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Thing about living alone in NYC is make sure you have a will. If not the city will handle your estate no matter how "small" you think it happens to be.

If you don't want your LL to pilfer things and or have your stuff thrown into a dumpster; make a will.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thing about living alone in NYC is make sure you have a will. If not the city will handle your estate no matter how "small" you think it happens to be.

If you don't want your LL to pilfer things and or have your stuff thrown into a dumpster; make a will.

True. I also believe that if you don't have anyone claiming your body, they throw you into Potter's Field (Hart Island).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2MrnJRgX6s

Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 AM

25,372 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I wonder how that works, like someone on here said millions of people have died in NYC and probably die all the time in apartments, but what makes a ghost/spirit stay around.

Probably Rent Control.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 AM

25,372 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I keep waking up with bruises on my ass and I live alone and have been home sick all week....Does this mean I have a ghost who's spanking me?

Remember, after 29 days, the spanking becomes a permanent thing.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
What if a building is built on where dead bodies were buried?

on 13st and 3ave a building (the jefferson) was built a few yrs ago but i remember a woman's body was found buried in there yrs before when it was a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City