Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Long story short, a friend of mine is having a very hard time with his apartment. He lives in a Bronx tenement, and is complaining that ghosts come into his apartment at around 12:15am and leave around 5:00am. He's been having these paranormal experiences only recently after having been in his apartment for a year now.

The situation has gotten so bad, that he has to sleep outside on a park bench. Basically, when he tries to fall asleep, he feels their fingers touching his face, or someone hitting his body.

The building was built around 1920, so it's pretty hard to pin point its history.

I know this post is out there as nuts, but can he break his lease? I know that landlords are not legally obligated to disclose any deaths or other negative events having occurred in an apartment.

There are rumors in the building that a couple had committed suicide in his apartment, but there is no way to verify this - not even after hours of googling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Long story short, a friend of mine is having a very hard time with his apartment. He lives in a Bronx tenement, and is complaining that ghosts come into his apartment at around 12:15am and leave around 5:00am. He's been having these paranormal experiences only recently after having been in his apartment for a year now.

The situation has gotten so bad, that he has to sleep outside on a park bench. Basically, when he tries to fall asleep, he feels their fingers touching his face, or someone hitting his body.

The building was built around 1920, so it's pretty hard to pin point its history.

I know this post is out there as nuts, but can he break his lease? I know that landlords are not legally obligated to disclose any deaths or other negative events having occurred in an apartment.

There are rumors in the building that a couple had committed suicide in his apartment, but there is no way to verify this - not even after hours of googling!
Thorazine.

But seriously, I just don't what grounds your friend has to break the lease. I don't think what he's experiencing is going to hold up in court, since the landlord isn't actually at fault in any way. Even if someone died, that happens all the time, unless it was as a result of some kind of neglect on the part of the landlord/mgmt company. I feel sorry for your buddy though.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Thorazine.

But seriously, I just don't what grounds your friend has to break the lease. I don't think what he's experiencing is going to hold up in court, since the landlord isn't actually at fault in any way. Even if someone died, that happens all the time, unless it was as a result of some kind of neglect on the part of the landlord/mgmt company. I feel sorry for your buddy though.
That's horrible. At the university I attended in the States, supposedly one of the dorms were haunted. Numerous stories of ghosts coming out at night. How true it was I have no idea, but I imagine there must be some truth to it. There was a guy that died in an apartment building I lived in and management waited a very long time until his belongings were claimed, and then I guess they had to go in and re-do the entire apartment, as he was found in the middle of the summer, and you know what happens with all of that heat, etc. The smell in the hallway was unbearable and it took several months to get rid of it completely.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Basically, when he tries to fall asleep, he feels their fingers touching his face, or someone hitting his body.
Has he only experienced this in this particular apt? Because what he has sounds a lot like what they call, "night terrors" or sleep paralysis.

I get them once in a blue moon and they're not ghost related. It's a sleeping disorder. I think I inherited it from my mom who gets them a lot more often than me. And she has experienced these no matter where she's sleeping so if it is ghost related, these ghosts are following her around. lol.

My friend in college also got them but in a more severe form than me. They're scary when it happens but doctors say it's harmless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Last edited by Aeran; 10-02-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 04:01 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Also, how old is your friend? Late teens to mid-20s is prime period for emergence of schizophrenia.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:03 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Just when one thought had seen every possible housing related thread in this forum....

Let me get this straight; now we're not just dealing with people finding "affordable" housing that is decent for the living; we've got to be worried about the dead as well?

This kid has right idea; bet he's making bank!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
The Winchesters would tell you to salt and burn the mortal remains of the ghost and that salt in general repels them. Now, if it’s a demon, that’s a different matter, you’ll need a devil’s trap and exorcism.

Pop culture aside, if your friend is the sort to believe in ghosts, then he should look into cleansing rituals that may alleviate some of the issues (for example, burning certain herbs like sage). I sincerely doubt you can break the lease so it becomes a case of what’s more important: gaining mental/emotional relief or not losing a ton of money breaking a lease.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Also, how old is your friend? Late teens to mid-20s is prime period for emergence of schizophrenia.
No, he's in his late 40's.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Has he only experienced this in this particular apt? Because what he has sounds a lot like what they call, "night terrors" or sleep paralysis.

I get them once in a blue moon and they're not ghost related. It's a sleeping disorder. I think I inherited it from my mom who gets them a lot more often than me. And she has experienced these no matter where she's sleeping so if it is ghost related, these ghosts are following her around. lol.

My friend in college also got them but in a more severe form than me. They're scary when it happens but doctors say it's harmless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
Yes, it's only this apartment. I myself have sleep paralysis - for *me* it happens like once every six months and yes it's scary, but nothing like people touching me! My sleep paralysis just consists of my not being able to move when I'm awake from REM sleep. Plus me and other sufferers don't get sleep paralysis every freakin' day.

Also, why doesn't he get the sleep paralysis when he's out sleeping in the park bench? I just feel so bad for him! He's our local bartender and we've known him for *years* - he was never this distraught!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:24 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Yes, it's only this apartment. I myself have sleep paralysis - for *me* it happens like once every six months and yes it's scary, but nothing like people touching me! My sleep paralysis just consists of my not being able to move when I'm awake from REM sleep. Plus me and other sufferers don't get sleep paralysis every freakin' day.

Also, why doesn't he get the sleep paralysis when he's out sleeping in the park bench? I just feel so bad for him! He's our local bartender and we've known him for *years* - he was never this distraught!
Oh...well I feel someone touching me. I have my eyes closed. I'm aware I'm asleep the whole time but I feel this heavy weight on me (very similar to the picture that's shown when you click on the link) pushing me down and I feel fingers either touching my scalp or forehead. It's annoying and I would be scared if I wasn't so pissed. And I feel this malevolent presence the whole time but I've been reassured that it's not a demonic visitation but sleep paralysis/night terrors. And even though I don't get them everyday, I've heard of people who do. My mom used to get them pretty frequently. And more severe. She would actually feel hands choking her and she would make these horrendous choking noises. I've witnessed it myself and it's not pretty.

But as for your friend, since it has only happened in this particular apt...
Hmmm....I don't know what to say...
Is he religious? Does he know any priests? (not being sarcastic or funny).
Maybe they can give a blessing or whatever that they do...to exorcise any malevolent spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City