Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Are they allowed to smoke??
They can smoke when they're in there alone, but not if the passengers ask them not to, and vice versa. I have gotten into yellow cabs not knowing that the guy was smoking and then became furious because now the car is filled with cigarette smoke and I don't smoke and hate the smell.

See with Uber and Lyft cars, they care about their rating, so if people get angry because they are smoking or their car is dirty, it could impact them financially in that people may see their low rating and refuse them on the app. Uber and I believe the others require their drivers to have very clean cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,622 times
Quote:
Are they allowed to smoke??
That would suck if they did. I don't even want to share an elevator with someone that reeked of cigarettes much less a ride I was pay for

Last edited by Marshabrady; 10-04-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
That would suck if they did. I don't even want to share an elevator with someone that was reeked of cigarettes much less a ride I was pay for
I have yet to get an Uber driver that smoked. From my understanding, both Uber and Lyft don't allow smoking, which is fantastic. Smokers tend to be dirty in general and keep dirty cars from what I've experienced. Funny thing is though, I've seen people vaping in yellow taxis, or they vape right before they get in.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They can smoke when they're in there alone, but not if the passengers ask them not to, and vice versa. I have gotten into yellow cabs not knowing that the guy was smoking and then became furious because now the car is filled with cigarette smoke and I don't smoke and hate the smell.

See with Uber and Lyft cars, they care about their rating, so if people get angry because they are smoking or their car is dirty, it could impact them financially in that people may see their low rating and refuse them on the app. Uber and I believe the others require their drivers to have very clean cars.
oh interesting. I thought that went away when they banned smoking in bars etc. on the grounds it was a public place. also never had a cabbie who smoked, but I walk a lot .

Old 10-04-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
oh interesting. I thought that went away when they banned smoking in bars etc. on the grounds it was a public place. also never had a cabbie who smoked, but I walk a lot .
Yeah, it should have but you still have some of the old timers that like to smoke so they'll try to smoke in the car and keep the cigarette outside of the car as if that makes any difference. I tell them, sorry but you have to put that out, and I say it in a way that makes it clear that it isn't an option, because either they put it out, or I can get another cab.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:55 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,118,417 times
In my small town, we do not have uber or lyft, so we use a taxi cab company sometimes, The fare will vary from $5 to $8 & we tip $2, every time.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I don't tip. I am tired of the tipping culture in NYC.
As someone who works in an industry that relies on tipping, I am tired of the greedy-***holes-who-take services-and-don't-pay-for-them-culture.

Tipping is not an over and above "extra", it is how you pay for things that you take. It relies on the honor system, and only people without honor steal from those who work for them.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As someone who works in an industry that relies on tipping, I am tired of the greedy-***holes-who-take services-and-don't-pay-for-them-culture.

Tipping is not an over and above "extra", it is how you pay for things that you take. It relies on the honor system, and only people without honor steal from those who work for them.
You two are examples of the extremes.... We have one person who is exercising his right to not tip to the extreme, and another person who thinks people should tip for every GD thing. We had this discussion in another thread, and while I agree with NYer that tipping is out of control here in NYC, I certainly DO tip for most things. Generally speaking, I tip cabbies, when I eat out, for delivery, for my haircut, and my super (if they stay around long enough ), as long as I get good service. Outside of that, occasionally, I tip baristas for counter service, but we have so many surly ones these days that I don't get too carried away with that either. God forbid you become a regular at any one location... It's like they're clocking how much you spend and tip, so I try to move around and only tip at places where the barista is really gracious. Last Sunday I was at Ninth Street Espresso at the Chelsea Market, and was craving a cortado after stopping at Buon Italia for some things, so the person that rang me up was so nice that I left a tip.

Visited another Ninth Street Espresso location the following day because I wanted to try their espresso, so I asked the barista if they do samples, and she's like yeah we don't really do that. It was pretty obvious that I was new and wanted to be fully sold on their coffee, and she already knew I was buying at least one drink, so why not pull an effing shot of espresso for me to try? The place was practically empty and they could use the business, so I got my cortado and very gleefully walked my a---s---s out without tipping. The drink was fine, but had she given me the sample, I likely would've purchased other things. With Ubers, I will tip more if the person helps me with anything that I may be carrying for meetings. If they don't then that's their lost opportunity to get more of a tip.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

That was never uber's original intent and your just making stuff up. If you are not happy with the way things are take it up with your employer not the customer. Free will employment means you are free to find another job if you don't like it.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion about tipping Uber (and other car services) drivers. I generally tip the driver $5 for a short trip and more for a long one. I give the driver cash at the end of the trip. Not sure how others do it. Please share...
That sounds correct.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City